Bears sign Eddie Goldman to 4-yr, $42M ($25M gtd) extension

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

LacertineForest
MVP

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ian Rappaport wrote:@RapSheet

The #Bears and standout NT Eddie Goldman have reached an agreement in principle on a 4-year contract extension worth $42M-plus with $25M guaranteed, I’m told. One of the highest paid players at his position in the NFL. Massive.
Excellent. Sunday can't get here soon enough.

Edit: Just saw a pretty good comment - his new nickname should be "Goldman Sacks"
G08
Hall of Famer

This. This is too much for me to handle.... God please please please let this all come to fruition.

We're drafting well, we're extending them, we're trading assets and paying the highest defensive contract ever to a young stud edge rusher.... and we have an offensive scheme that is at the forefront of the 21st century -- cutting edge, if you well.

Someone fucking pinch me. Fuck it, I don't care if it all blows up in my/our face, THIS is what I have been dying for.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:This. This is too much for me to handle.... God please please please let this all come to fruition.

We're drafting well, we're extending them, we're trading assets and paying the highest defensive contract ever to a young stud edge rusher.... and we have an offensive scheme that is at the forefront of the 21st century -- cutting edge, if you well.

Someone fucking pinch me. Fuck it, I don't care if it all blows up in my/our face, THIS is what I have been dying for.
My only concern is him staying healthy.

But I am with you on everything else. I am so jaded, I am expecting for everything to blow up in my face. But right now, its all looking really good. This is what I wanted too. Young GM, young HC, young promising QB, nasty defense.

When you sign a stud like Mack, defensive players here and around the league are like, "I want to play with that dude." I am hoping that Amos is the next shoe to drop, and signs an extension.
G08
Hall of Famer

Khalil Mack signed through 2024.
Eddie Goldman signed through 2022.
Kyle Fuller signed through 2021.
Akiem Hicks signed through 2021.
Roquan Smith signed through 2021.
Eddie Jackson signed through 2020.
There's your nucleus on defense.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
I'd love to see Amos on that list soon.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Having a rough day came home from work early and this is just what I needed to see! Great news and great move! Was hoping by midseason to have him and Amos locked up, getting one done before the season is even better!!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Get Amos on that list. Here's my prediction;

2019 - Chicago Bears will be a top 3 defense in the NFL.
2020 - Chicago Bears will be the #1 defense in the league, and it won't be that close.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I was talking to a Packer friend about how good this defense could be. When you start liking at it 9-10 players have pro bowl potential. Goldman is on that list. It's a good looking list.
Bearfacts
MVP

Can I just say......FUCKIN' EH! :applaud:

We don't have an obscenity censor right? That's another thing I can give you all credit for. :grovel:

The timing is perfect. Even after handing out the biggest deal any NFL defender has ever gotten Pace steps up and takes care of one of his own core defenders before his last year begins. That's a smart move and I think one reason why someone like Hicks responded so positively with his play after being rewarded for it. I see Goldman doing the same.

Man, what a difference a years makes. The new HC, staff, and QB are on board and the raps are off. Pace is shoring up his roster for the next 3-4 years and they're gonna make their run or die trying.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Glad to see this! Pace is making this team one that players are going to want to play for, coaches are going to want to stay/be hired by ect. What a turnaround one year has made!

The teams fired up, the fans are going nuts, my sleep patterns all fucked up from the excitement over the past week LOL...

Lets do this!!!!!!!
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
G08 or WAB. You know the salary cap crap better than me. I just read an article that said the Goldman deal inches the Bears right up to the cap (we're still paying the Giraffe $4.5M). Is there a way to get an extension done for Amos, or are Pace's hands pretty much tied?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think they can back-end load deals with Goldman and Amos if the plan is to get rid of Trevathan next year. The Amos deal shouldn't be a huge one. He's merely above-average in my opinion. But I dont think they'll worry about locking down two safeties, I think they'll want some money available next year for the right side of the oline. Massie is a FA and if Long can't stay healthy this year we might want to invest in another OG.
xyt in the discord chats
Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
I think we all would but his deal may be a little more difficult due to his PFF ranking.

He's good but he's not at the level of a Pro Bowl SS yet. FWIW here are the top SS contracts via Spotrac

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/co ... ng-safety/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The top deals are Reshad Jones $60m/5yr/$35m gtd/$12m apy and Kam Chancellor $36/3yr/$25m gtd/$12m apy extension. Next group is headed by Tony Jefferson $34/4yr/$19m gtd/$8.5m apy deal and then on down from $30m to $20m deal 4 year deals averaging around $10m gtd and $5.5-$6.5m apy. Where does Amos slot....5-10?

So I think with him it comes down to what he's looking for and if it's too much Pace may look to Bush and his $720k cap hit to replace Amos in 2019 and look to add one in UFA and the draft. Pace may have talked with Amos agent to find out if they're on the same wavelength and if not I think he may let it ride to see how well Amos does this year.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
I think we all would but his deal may be a little more difficult due to his PFF ranking.

He's good but he's not at the level of a Pro Bowl SS yet. FWIW here are the top SS contracts via Spotrac

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/co ... ng-safety/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The top deals are Reshad Jones $60m/5yr/$35m gtd/$12m apy and Kam Chancellor $36/3yr/$25m gtd/$12m apy extension. Next group is headed by Tony Jefferson $34/4yr/$19m gtd/$8.5m apy deal and then on down from $30m to $20m deal 4 year deals averaging around $10m gtd and $5.5-$6.5m apy. Where does Amos slot....5-10?

So I think with him it comes down to what he's looking for and if it's too much Pace may look to Bush and his $720k cap hit to replace Amos in 2019 and look to add one in UFA and the draft. Pace may have talked with Amos agent to find out if they're on the same wavelength and if not I think he may let it ride to see how well Amos does this year.
Everything I've read said he's a top 5 SS in the league. He should get $4.5M-$5.5M/yr on a four year deal.
Z Bear
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Everything I've read said he's a top 5 SS in the league. He should get $4.5M-$5.5M/yr on a four year deal.
I think someone who believes in PFF ratings will give him way more than that. Your numbers sound about right to me, but I am sure his agent is going to leverage his #1 rating and get more than that out of someone. Let Bush and a draft pick battle it out next year, with our front 7 the SS does not need to be top tier talent to look good.
Z Bear
MVP

Extending Goldman is freaking awesome, even if a hair too expensive. I really do not see how anyone could be upset with Pace after this off season.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
G08 or WAB. You know the salary cap crap better than me. I just read an article that said the Goldman deal inches the Bears right up to the cap (we're still paying the Giraffe $4.5M). Is there a way to get an extension done for Amos, or are Pace's hands pretty much tied?
They can always just do an extension, which pays him at the current rate for this year, but also add just his pro-rated bonus. Then the new salary terms can kick in next year. That's one way to do it, anyway.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:This. This is too much for me to handle.... God please please please let this all come to fruition.

Dude this is for real. Turn that frown upside down. The Bears are planning to kick some ass.

malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:

Everything I've read said he's a top 5 SS in the league. He should get $4.5M-$5.5M/yr on a four year deal.
Amos will get quite a bit more than that, there's some money floating about. Personally I'm a big fan, he's incredibly solid and that's more valuable to me than two or three extra interceptions but inconsistent overall pay. However, and I hope I'm wrong, I don't think Pace feels the love and I can see him getting away. We'll have the cap space though. Even after this Goldman deal, there'll be $20m to play with in 2019 after we cut Sims (plus a decent amount if we need by moving on from Acho, McManis, Sowell). We need to fit a right tackle in and the rookie pool, but with no 1st rounder the latter won't be much.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Didn't look to see if you got your answer but this is the Bears cap situation as reported today. They report the Goldman extension but I'm not certain if the impact on the 2018 cap has been included yet. Soon we'll know.

Bears 2018 Cap Totals

Maximum Salary Cap:
$184,808,858
Active Contracts:
$160,404,385
Injured Reserve:
$1,343,304
Dead Cap:
$12,429,613
Total Cap:
$176,567,302
Est. Cap Space:
$8,241,556
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Didn't look to see if you got your answer but this is the Bears cap situation as reported today. They report the Goldman extension but I'm not certain if the impact on the 2018 cap has been included yet. Soon we'll know.

Bears 2018 Cap Totals

Maximum Salary Cap:
$184,808,858
Active Contracts:
$160,404,385
Injured Reserve:
$1,343,304
Dead Cap:
$12,429,613
Total Cap:
$176,567,302
Est. Cap Space:
$8,241,556
I believe that’s before Goldman’s contract is accounted for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:

Top five would put him closer to Tony Jefferson whose #3. I think closer to $7-$7.5 mil apy is what he may be asking.
Bearfacts
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
They can always just do an extension, which pays him at the current rate for this year, but also add just his pro-rated bonus. Then the new salary terms can kick in next year. That's one way to do it, anyway.
That's what they did. It's a 4 year extension through 2022.

And you're probably right. They can charge 20% of his signing bonus to this years cap but so far Spotrac hasn't posted those details. I expect by tomorrow they may.
Bearfacts
MVP

What's with all the questions about free agency after he just signed 4 year extension. :roll:

It's a nonsense question so why ask it?

I swear if some of these guys were interviewing a newlywed couple they'd ask her if she's happy with her new hubby or if she wishes she'd waited for a better catch or still loves the guy she lived with for three years before she married this guy.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:Image

This. So much this. This. This. This.

Fucking amazing. Can’t wait for Sunday night.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:

Bears 2018 Cap Totals

Maximum Salary Cap:
$184,808,858
Active Contracts:
$160,404,385
Injured Reserve:
$1,343,304
Dead Cap:
$12,429,613
Total Cap:
$176,567,302
Est. Cap Space:
$8,241,556

I would think so since we don't have the breakdown yet. Maybe my tomorrow that will be posted and we can factor it in.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I think Amos is going to test FA. And Ryan Pace will let him do just that without any tags. Amos's agent is going to hold onto that PFF rating as tight as he can. Yes, he's a good tackler and run defender who packs a punch. But my eyes say he's not a really good pass defender or intercepter, thus Pace's offer isn't going to be anywhere near 2nd best in the league $$$. He could be a guy who is worth more to another team than he is to the Bears.

I really like the guy and hope they can come to terms. But in the end, the SS is one of the least important guys on a defense where we've recently spent a ton of dough (Hicks, Fuller, Prince, Mack, Goldman) on more important guys.

Bearfacts
MVP

Bearfacts wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:

Bears 2018 Cap Totals

Maximum Salary Cap:
$184,808,858
Active Contracts:
$160,404,385
Injured Reserve:
$1,343,304
Dead Cap:
$12,429,613
Total Cap:
$176,567,302
Est. Cap Space:
$8,241,556

I would think so since we don't have the breakdown yet. Maybe my tomorrow that will be posted and we can factor it in.
Quoting myself I know but I have an update on the cap and I believe that figure of $8.241556 mil is correct and does include Goldman's new deal. Here's what Spotrac shows for Goldman's 2018 cap hit. If there are additional updates I'll post them as they occur.

Eddie Goldman signed a 4 year, $42,000,000 contract with the Chicago Bears, including $25,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,500,000. In 2018, Goldman will earn a base salary of $1,210,407, while carrying a cap hit of $1,809,283.

Contract Terms: 4 yr(s) / $42,000,000 Signing Bonus - Average Salary$10,500,000 GTD at Sign:- Total GTD:$25,000,000 Free Agent:2023 / UFA

Bonus Breakdown Cap Details Cash Details
Year Age Base Salary Signing Cap Hit Dead Cap Yearly Cash
2018 24 $1,210,407 $598,876 $1,809,283 - $1,210,407($1,210,407)