Packers @ Rams

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I was shocked by the thinking of Sean McVay at the end. He decided that the best approach was to hand it off every time and use GB's TOs, so that they could kick a FG for a 2-point lead and give it back to Rodgers with 1:50 left and no TOs??? I'm sorry, but the GB offense is good enough to drive for a FG without a TO and they showed it all day long. Aaron Freaking Rodgers is their QB for crying out loud.

The better play was to try to run clock by running more plays, accepting the risk of incompletes to get first downs and play for the TD, forcing GB to match that in their last drive. You play to win the game. They got lucky that TyM did a dumb thing by taking the kickoff out of the end zone.

I sure wouldn't want their coach pulling our strings in a championship type game. Oi.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

It was a pretty sound strategy. It's football 101 man. Grind it out, kill the clock, force the other team to burn their TO's. You pass the ball and go 3 and out and leave GB with like 3 minutes left and all their time outs?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:It was a pretty sound strategy. It's football 101 man. Grind it out, kill the clock, force the other team to burn their TO's. You pass the ball and go 3 and out and leave GB with like 3 minutes left and all their time outs?
Sure, if you have no confidence in your offense. But they're the #2 O in the league going against a bottom half defense and they've just scored a bunch of 2nd half points. Yes, you want to play it safer with higher percentage passing. But you get one more first down and it doesn't matter if you throw an incomplete or perhaps even two.

I agree there's risk of a turnover and losing the game. But giving Rodgers the ball back with almost 2:00 left, even with no TOs, to me that 's a > 50% chance of losing the game.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

But they're the #2 O in the league going against a bottom half defense and they've just scored a bunch of 2nd half points.
Exactly. I'm sure the idea was to chew clock, force them to use time outs, and score a TD...because they have the #2 offense in the NFL, had just scored a bunch of 2nd half points, and have Todd Gurley averaging almost 5 yards a carry against a bottom of the league defense.

I doubt the idea was to kick a FG.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

Rumor on NFL network was that Ty Montgomery was told to take a knee if kickoff went in the end zone. He was removed the series before and threw a fit on the sidelines, then went against coaches orders and brought kick out.
UOK
Site Admin

Rakshir wrote:Rumor on NFL network was that Ty Montgomery was told to take a knee if kickoff went in the end zone. He was removed the series before and threw a fit on the sidelines, then went against coaches orders and brought kick out.
“They took him out (the previous drive) for a play and he slammed his helmet and threw a fit,” one Packers player said. “Then (before the kickoff) they told him to take a knee, and he ran it out anyway. You know what that was? That was him saying, ‘I’m gonna do me.’ It’s a fucking joke.

“I mean, what the fuck are you doing? We’ve got Aaron Rodgers, the best I’ve ever seen, and you’re gonna take that risk? I mean, it’s ‘12'! All you gotta do is give him the ball, and you know what’s gonna happen.”

https://deadspin.com/ty-montgomery-went ... 1830069649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wab
Mod

Please implode Packers. Please.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Please implode Packers. Please.
If they don’t cut Montgomery tomorrow, there is a distinct possibility of internal unrest. Guaranteed there are players that are supporting Montgomery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Montgomery said in an interview, "I thought I was on the goal line, or the half yard line, so I didn't want to kneel...I don't know how I can trust my teammates if they don't trust me." In otherwords..."It wasn't my fault, everyone is against me." Dude. Own up to your mistake. You fucked your team, and now you're scrambling for excuses.
docc
Head Coach

Watching the END of the Puke v Rams..might out it on a loop..

I know..I am not perfect..but I love seeing the Puke go down..especially self inflicted>>
docc
Head Coach

Ah Yes...Montgomery fumbled AGAIN.. What a wonderful cluster fuck..

I love football..