OLB Bruce Irvin Clears Waivers...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Former Raiders’ DE Bruce Irvin, and the $3.8 million he had left on his Oakland contract, went unclaimed on waivers today, per source. Now a free agent.
Interested? Mack and him are boys...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

No, no, and NO!

He's a one trick pony, and not nearly as athletic, or versatile as Floyd. Floyd has a much higher ceiling as well. I remember when Irving was drafted, he was known to come with the baggage of an attitude and a head case.
UOK
Site Admin

Depends on the deal. If you can get him on a 1 or 2 year deal that doesn't wreck the depth chart, I'd say do it.
G08
Hall of Famer

If I'm not mistaken the Raiders are on the hook for $3.8M so we could sign him for that amount and it wouldn't cost us a cent.

You can never have enough pass rushers, IMO. If Mack vouches for him and keeps him in line? Man... I'd pounce.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Former Raiders’ DE Bruce Irvin, and the $3.8 million he had left on his Oakland contract, went unclaimed on waivers today, per source. Now a free agent.
Interested? Mack and him are boys...
I'm interested. If Mack vouches for him and we have a low tolerance policy to rule out bad behavior.

Lynch lost me with the 15 yard penalty against the Bills.
G08
Hall of Famer

I would just put him on the field in pure passing situations and tell him to get after the QB. He clearly is an upgrade to Isaiah Irving, no?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:Lynch lost me with the 15 yard penalty against the Bills.
Me too man. That was a 100% classless move.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:Lynch lost me with the 15 yard penalty against the Bills.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

Depth is key, and extra insurance for injuries. Heck yeah I'd like to see it.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Even a 1 year deal to keep him from the packers and just specialize him on passing downs.
Funkster
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

Really guys?? Dude was just having some fun in a blow out game, lighten up.

Irvin did come with some baggage but that was many many years ago. My theory is you can never have too many pass rushers. We’ve seen first hand what tired pass rushers can do and that’s loose games. If the bears can sign him to a team friendly deal, I see no harm in adding another rotational guy that might push Fylod to the next level. I’m reading that Mack and him are good friends, that could be a positive tool to get him signed.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

Irvin did come with some baggage but that was many many years ago. My theory is you can never have too many pass rushers. We’ve seen first hand what tired pass rushers can do and that’s loose games. If the bears can sign him to a team friendly deal, I see no harm in adding another rotational guy that might push Fylod to the next level. I’m reading that Mack and him are good friends, that could be a positive tool to get him signed.
I don't care what the score is. Don't give the other team 15 yards because of some deliberate inappropriate taunt. By all means celebrate the play, but don't do something that'll get the flag thrown.
BR0D1E86
MVP

It was real dumb, I wouldn’t call is classless though.

Regardless, it had best not happen again.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I have to assume Pace has reached out to Irvin's agent. Irvin would be a perfect fit here. If it were me I'd try to bring him in on a 1 or 2 year deal as the 3rd or 4th edge guy who comes in on passing downs. Let him just pin his ears back and go get after Qbs. I like Irving/Fitts as projects but would much prefer Bruce Irvin in the actual rotation or if there is anymore injuries. You can never have too many pass rushers. Great D's can send waves of rushers at you. Hopefully Irvin would be interested in a role like that

I know nothing about Irvin's character. If that is a major red flag the Bears shouldn't sign Irvin. We have a good young locker room that is growing together and we don't need to mess that up.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Per Schefter - Atlanta is signing Irvin.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Per Schefter - Atlanta is signing Irvin.

yep ... and a good move for them

Falcons sign former Raiders, Seahawks pass rusher Bruce Irvin to bolster defense
Bruce Irvin was a pretty useful pass rusher in Seattle, and he remained one when he signed a big free agent deal with the Raiders, piling up 18 sacks in 2.5 years. Then he became a free agent, the latest purge from Jon Gruden’s carnival of butcher knives and ineptitude in California, and Dan Quinn didn’t wait long to snap him up.

With Irvin clearing waivers and the Falcons in need of more pass rushing punch, they’ve added Irvin to their rotation. No immediate word on a corresponding move or the contract here, but it’s safe to say we’re pretty happy with the move. Irvin has never been worse than solid, and the Falcons pass rush in 2018 has largely come from Grady Jarrett, Jack Crawford and Takk McKinley. Irvin gives them a little more juice.
guess this can now all be moved to the NFL forum
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Reported on Florio that according to Irvin, Pats and Steelers offered more money, but he is from the Atlanta area so it made it a no brainer.
wab
Mod

Lynch is at least as good as Irvin and like 6 years younger.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Funkster wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I don't care what the score is. Don't give the other team 15 yards because of some deliberate inappropriate taunt. By all means celebrate the play, but don't do something that'll get the flag thrown.

the penalty was stupid and unnecessary and it allowed the Bills to continue the drive that led to their only TD

if I remember correctly, that was 3rd down right? so it gave them a first down instead of them having to punt

never never never do something stupid that allows the opponent to extend a drive

hopefully Lynch got a lecture he will remember and maybe a Kangaroo Court fine (at minimum)

aside from that nonsense, I've been very happy with his defensive efforts
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin