Howard & Cohen - Pro Football Weekly

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I found this article on Pro Football Weekly. Its a great piece about how Nagy is scheming the rushing game, and although Howard is down in yards, he is up in efficiency. How Nagy is creating a two-headed monster in Chicago, with really smart play calling.

Howard and Cohen

If Howard can start breaking more 10-15 yard runs like he did against the Bills, this is going to be a really, really dangerous team.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I was looking the other day for stats on our RBs that take opposing team's personnel package into consideration but this is simpler way to get at the same info. I love it!
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

.... I miss our zone blocking scheme :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:.... I miss our zone blocking scheme :lol:
Statistically the Bears are what, a top 10 offense this year? As opposed to something like 30 last year? I'll forgo the zone blocking scheme in favor of that turnaround.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:.... I miss our zone blocking scheme :lol:
Statistically the Bears are what, a top 10 offense this year? As opposed to something like 30 last year? I'll forgo the zone blocking scheme in favor of that turnaround.
I WANT BOTH!!! :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Not sure I like a couple things here. First, the scoring method. So if you are short of the goal you get the same score if you gain 3 yards or lose 5? And if you make the goal, you get the same score if you get 5 yards or 50? That seems quite oversimplified. I didn't understand when he said that Howard was "more efficient" this year, while averaging significantly less per carry. I guess I see that now based on that scoring system.

Second, it seems to indicate that we're a bit predictable in situations. If we're going to run the ball on 1st down, it's going to be Howard most likely. Same on short yardage. But if it's long yardage, it's going to be Cohen. Doesn't that kinda defeat the idea of putting them both out there as we sometimes do?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

In 2018, Jordan Howard has the highest success rate of his career at 52 percent on the ground. In 2017, Howard totaled 1,122 yards on the ground but had a success rate of just 44 percent, one of the lowest in the NFL.
Basically, Howard’s role has changed dramatically this season. Under ex-Bears coach John Fox, Howard was used in nearly every situation but third-and-long. While he was gaining more yards, he wasn’t really impacting games. At the end of the game, Howard would have a lot of “empty” yards that didn’t actually help the Bears win.

For example, in 2017 Howard had the fourth-most second-and-10-plus runs in the NFL. He averaged just 3.1 yards per carry in those situations and had just a 22 percent success rate. Howard was gaining yardage, but he wasn’t really helping the team get first downs.
I'm not sure about the efficiency metric, but it's very intriguing.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Pagan
MVP

I thought it was an in depth way at viewing RB production, instead of just simply basing production off of YPC.

I absolutely think that it COULD show some tendencies... These are the same #'s that could've/most likely have been noticed by Bears opponents = but the results are the results.

If teams can't stop you, then ultimately it doesn't matter if they have an idea what you MIGHT call.

Besides that, the I'm betting that Nagy is clever enough to use these tendencies/info against a defense who does their homework. :)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:Besides that, the I'm betting that Nagy is clever enough to use these tendencies/info against a defense who does their homework. :)
That's not just huge. It's Humongous and Fantabulous. :)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.