Rodgers called out by Green Bay Press..

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

GREEN BAY – The idea that the Green Bay Packers are wasting the best years of quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ career by employing Mike McCarthy as their head coach used to be only a fan narrative.

When you’re a fan, you get to ignore the fact that McCarthy’s career winning percentage of .618 is the third best among current NFL head coaches and his .633 regular-season winning percentage ranks fourth in franchise history.

All you see are no Super Bowls since the 2010 season.

But lately, the narrative has spread to numerous national pundits, who worship the play of Rodgers and can’t understand why he isn’t having the same amount of success as New England’s Tom Brady. They believe his arm would be tired from raising Lombardi Trophies were he not stifled in McCarthy’s offense.

It’s fine for fans to believe that because, well, they’re fans.

In their minds, Brett Favre won multiple Super Bowls playing for Mike Holmgren, Drew Brees reached the mountaintop repeatedly playing in Sean Payton’s brilliant offense and Ben Roethlisberger long ago ran out of room on his mantle for another Lombardi Trophy.

(He didn’t, he hasn’t and he won’t.)

And don’t even get them started on Brady. He wins the Super Bowl every year.

They believe Rodgers is being cheated out of the same kind of glory because he is forced to play in the dullest pro offense the game has ever seen. If they could just get Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniel to replace McCarthy, Super Bowls would be won yearly.

What we’ve seen of late is these national radio show hosts, TV commentators and internet football experts have come around to the same type of thinking, adopting the narrative without considering that Rodgers bears some responsibility for recent and past failures.

There is nothing wrong with blaming McCarthy for missed opportunities in Seattle in 2014 or sticking with defensive coordinator Dom Capers for too long or failing to ever get his special teams in order or stubbornly refusing to run the ball even when his team is averaging well over 4.0 yards per carry or not going for it on fourth-and-2 when the situation clearly called for it.

Guilty as charged.

An argument can also be made that McCarthy hasn’t brought his offense along as far as Payton or Kansas City’s Andy Reid or Philadelphia’s Doug Pederson. After all, his most formative years were spent under Chiefs coach Marty Schottenheimer, who stubbornly stuck to running the ball when the rules were changing to promote passing it.

All of that may true, but it doesn’t mean he has become an offensive idiot. Rodgers won two most valuable player awards playing in McCarthy's offense. Rodgers probably has more say in the way plays are called than any other quarterback in the NFL because McCarthy has increasingly given Rodgers more and more responsibility at the line of scrimmage.

Even Rodgers, who has griped behind the scenes that he’s not thrilled with the offense and hinted as much publicly once this season, has stated that he gets plenty of say each week in the game plan. No, the Packers aren’t running the same offense as the Chiefs or Los Angeles Rams, but they do give their quarterback options to change plays before the snap or improvise after it.

The elephant in the room is that Rodgers isn’t playing up to his previous level.

The left knee injury he suffered against Chicago in the season opener undoubtedly has affected him. He had to play exclusively out of the shotgun before finally being eased back under center. He had to play with a bulky brace that limited his escape ability. And he has had to endure less than ideal pass blocking from the interior of his offensive line.

It has been hard to tell if some of the abundant misfires Rodgers has made this season were related to injury, ineffectiveness or poor play calling.

But then came last week.

The Packers have been close in all but one of their road games this season and they desperately needed to beat the Seattle Seahawks at CenturyLink Field. The Packers had a short week to prepare for the Thursday night game, but Rodgers didn’t miss any practice time and seemed to be far more comfortable with his brace no longer necessary.

McCarthy got far more creative than he had in previous weeks knowing that the Seahawks pretty much run the same defensive scheme every game and he could count on certain responses to his formations.

On the first drive, he lined up with a bunch formation to the right. Rodgers made a call at the line of scrimmage, possibly checking from a pass to run, and then tossed the ball to running back Aaron Jones, who ran behind pulling tackle Bryan Bulaga untouched to the end zone.

On the next series, he ran another bunch formation to the right and it resulted in receiver Davante Adams running free down the left sideline in man-to-man coverage. Rodgers underthrew Adams – it might have been a touchdown if he hadn’t – but it still resulted in a 41-yard gain.

On the series after that, Rodgers had tight end Robert Tonyan running free down the left side, but for some reason wouldn’t throw the ball. Instead, he held onto it. Tonyan was smart enough to keep running his route, eventually bending it across the field, and Rodgers made a spectacular throw to him in the end zone for a touchdown.

Few people, except maybe the offensive coaches, noticed that Rodgers missed the initial look to Tonyan. It would become a recurring theme throughout the game and quite possibly the reason the Packers lost the game.

In four critical third-down situations, Rodgers either passed up or misfired on throws that would have resulted in first downs, long gains or touchdowns. Three of them involved receiver Davante Adams, who is the No. 1 target on offense and should have been the first or second read on each play.

It’s anyone’s guess why Rodgers wouldn’t throw the ball on three opportunities to Adams.

One was on third-and-3 at the Seattle 33 with 4:31 left in the third quarter and the Packers ahead, 21-17.

McCarthy designed a fake end around to keep the middle safety from committing too early to Adams running down the left sideline. The safety had taken a step forward and was flat-footed when Rodgers was at the end of his drop and if he throws the ball it’s a touchdown.

But Rodgers seemed preoccupied with defensive tackle Quinton Jefferson, who was pushing guard Byron Bell back toward him and decided to pull it down and try to run. He was sacked. Even if Rodgers throws it and it is picked off, it’s as good as a punt. Adams shook his head after seeing the ball wasn’t thrown.

In the fourth quarter, Rodgers has a third-and-5 at the 12-yard line. McCarthy went with his favorite 3x1 receiver formation, but left Jones the option of releasing into the flat if only four rushers come. Adams had a linebacker and a safety on him, but the safety had to honor rookie Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Adams came free after spinning the linebacker like a top between the hash marks.

Rodgers didn’t throw it and tried to run. To his right, Jones stood all alone. The play ended in a sack.

On first down of the final series, which started at the Packers 25 with 5:08 to go, Rodgers’ receivers were covered, but he had Jones on a check-down right in front of him. It’s good for at least a 5-yard gain and maybe a first down if Jones can make someone miss. Rodgers wouldn’t throw it and instead threw an uncatchable ball to receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.

On third down, Valdes-Scantling was wide open in the flat for an easy first down and Rodgers threw the ball in the dirt. McCarthy decided not to go for it on fourth-and-2 and the Seahawks ran out the clock.

The point of all this is that McCarthy put Rodgers in a position to be successful against the Seahawks and Rodgers let him and the team down. The Packers paid Rodgers $130 million to win games like that and he couldn’t do it.

Over the course of his career, he ranks tied for 57th in fourth-quarter game-winning drives with 19, according to profootballreference.com. His contemporaries such as Brady (44), Drew Brees (45) and Ben Roethlisberger (41) are way ahead.

He has had two magnificent comeback victories this season, so it’s not like he’s incapable of doing it, even with a bum knee.

As the 4-5-1 Packers head into a must-win game against the Minnesota Vikings, Rodgers ranks eighth in the NFL with a 102.2 passer rating and first in fewest interceptions (one). But his completion percentage is a career-low 61.8 and his average yards per attempt (8.0) ranks ninth.

Statistically, it has been a good year for Rodgers.

But over the last four seasons he is 31-22-1 in games started and that record needs to improve dramatically if the Packers are going anywhere this season.

The bottom line is that Rodgers has to hold up his end of the bargain just as much as McCarthy does. When neither of them do that, you wind up 4-5-1. That’s where the Packers stand with their season on the line.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

That was great. Thanks for sharing.

LOL, they're eating their own. Won't be long now before the full implosion.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

He has had two magnificent comeback victories this season, so it’s not like he’s incapable of doing it, even with a bum knee.

This makes me super pissy. It takes me back to Cutler taking himself out of the playoff game and just the general misunderstanding of how difficult it is to play QB with a fucked up knee.

Beyond that, here's something I've been thinking alot about lately. It's a foregone conclusion that Drew Brees is a future hall of famer, right? So why does Sean Payton get a free pass for only winning one super bowl with him while McCarthy gets crucified? At the end of the day Rodgers is probably a better QB, but still, both future hall of famers. Want to criticize McCarthy for sticking with Dom Capers for too long? The saints for many years fielded a laughably horrendous defense.
Umbali
MVP

Lol I dont care if its not right to crucify them or not. Rodgers gets away with being pissy and moody because he wins...so that makes him passionate. A guy like Cutler is a baby for the same reason.

Rodgers is a great QB ( just died a little on the inside )...and the issue with Mccrappy is that his offense was fine until the past few years when all these innovative offenses came along. He has just never adjusted the way Belicheck ( and McDaniels ) has on a year to year basis based on personnel.

I hope this is the start of many bad things happening to them
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think Rogers is the most talented thrower of the ball, in all possible situations I have seen.

I do not think he is the GOAT, or even close. Hell he is under 500 for his career on the road and he has really turned into a pouty little biatch on the sideline the last couple years. He is also fragile.

I'll take drew, tom or few others before him.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Fuck Rodgers. Yes he is talented. Yes he has led the Packers to A LOT of winning seasons. But he is a whiny little bitch when the calls aren't going his way. That and his OL holds...ALL THE GODDAMN TIME.

It's about time they experienced some hard times. Then we will see what kind of a team they REALLY have. My guess is complete implosion (at least I hope so).
docc
Head Coach

At least Erin and Danica are both over rated and on the downside...
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:He has had two magnificent comeback victories this season, so it’s not like he’s incapable of doing it, even with a bum knee.

This makes me super pissy. It takes me back to Cutler taking himself out of the playoff game and just the general misunderstanding of how difficult it is to play QB with a fucked up knee.

Beyond that, here's something I've been thinking alot about lately. It's a foregone conclusion that Drew Brees is a future hall of famer, right? So why does Sean Payton get a free pass for only winning one super bowl with him while McCarthy gets crucified? At the end of the day Rodgers is probably a better QB, but still, both future hall of famers. Want to criticize McCarthy for sticking with Dom Capers for too long? The saints for many years fielded a laughably horrendous defense.
It is pretty incredible how Payton and Brees just sail on with very little criticism. Brees is about 0.600 in New Orleans and has only won 2 or more playoff games in a season once, when he got his ring. He's obviously a great passer but he'll seemingly sail into the HoF with little questioning of his ability to win.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Z Bear
MVP

The Saints offense has never been a problem, that is why they get a pass. Their D was good one year and they won a Super Bowl.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:He has had two magnificent comeback victories this season, so it’s not like he’s incapable of doing it, even with a bum knee.

the Cheeseheads are obviously spoiled and clueless

the Packers pretty much steamrolling the rest of the NFC North for years hid many of the team's weaknesses at various times because they never really came into play against NFC North rivals that simply lined up and bent over for them ... so many, but not all, of the Packers NFC North titles were more to the credit of their pathetic division rivals than the Packers being anything special ... but those many NFC North titles gave the illusion of them being so much more than they were

why they are all over McCarthy now is something I don't understand, but anything that brings pain to that team and their fanbase is a-o-k in my book

as for Peyton and Brees not winning more titles, I think you answered your own question :

The saints for many years fielded a laughably horrendous defense.

and because of that, they wasted a few more opportunities they could have had at the big prize
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

How fucking spoiled do you have to be to bitch about Aaron Rodgers.

I mean my fucking God... I love it and I hate it at the same time :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

G08 wrote:How fucking spoiled do you have to be to bitch about Aaron Rodgers.

I mean my fucking God... I love it and I hate it at the same time :lol:
No shit, if the guy totally crapped out for the rest of his contract they still got a freaking superbowl and all time great play out of him for a lot of seasons.

On the other side, Rogers has amped up the whiny bitch mode to high school prom queen level lately.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Mike Greenberg, of all peeps, brought up a good point this a.m. When it is going great in GB, he is the God. When they start losing it is coaching, the other player, nothing to do with him, even though his stats are down. Damien Woody then stated he mechanics have been crap this year. Stated he is used to scrambling and throwing out of the pocket, he does not have good in pocket mechanics anymore. He threw a lot of bad passes Sunday night.

I was extremely happy.
docc
Head Coach

docc
Head Coach

New throw up uni's for Errin..
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I am loving the Packer fans turning on him. Years of them thinking he is amazing, but now seeing that he is kind of a dick.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Hard times bring out character, or lack thereof.
docc
Head Coach

McCarthy gone...

Golden Coral stocks rises as inventories are now not as at risk
Ormazd
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:Hard times bring out character, or lack thereof.

This.
WP.1
Player of the Month

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Rogers ranks a lowly 31st in completion percentage amongst QBs who have attempted at least 100 passes and when you see videos like that it puts his streak of 400 passes without an interception in a different light. It's easier to 'take care of the football' by throwing passes that are nowhere near anyone.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I’m watching the Pukes against the Jets. The refs just protect Erin like nobody I’ve ever seen. His offensive line is simply incapable of holding, and he just had en entire touchdown drive manufactured by completely phantom defensive pass interference calls. I’m so glad I don’t have to deal with his BS in the playoffs this year.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Todd Bowles agrees.
Per Pro Football Talk's Josh Alper, Bowles felt like the Jets were in a handicap match during the game.

"I thought we were playing two teams," he said during his postgame press conference. "The Packers and the striped shirts."

Bowles acknowledged during his press conference that he would probably get fined but didn't care because of how badly he felt the game was called.

"That's how bad it was," Bowles said, via USA Today's Andy Vasquez. "I'm sure I'm getting fined already, so I care not to even say anymore. But something's got to be done about that. That's ridiculous."
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/281 ... ng-2-teams
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This isn't intended to disagree with anything posted here, but the Packers are right where I want them.

6-8-1 and about to enter cap hell with Rodgers' albatross contract.

I want them somewhere between 6-10 and 9-7 every year. The worst thing that can happen is a 2-14 or 4-12 shit show where they get that high pick. I hope they keep thinking that if they sign "just enough guys" they can build something around Rodgers. Let them rot.
docc
Head Coach

YES THIS..^^^