Fangio

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

So I keep reading articles stating Fangio could be a hot head coaching option after the season.

Obviously I hope not. That being said I dont agree. I think the league is trending towards offensive and younger coaches. Also Fangio has only ever been interviewed for HC on teams he was already on. ( read it but not 100@ sure its true ).

I would be upset if Fangio left. Now our OC is another story. Not sure what he actually brings to the table now that the offensive system is in place.

Its funny how you can suck for years then as soon as you have success, people vulture your coordinators away. Good teams survive that ( aka The Patriots ) because the success was really because of the head coach. I hope and believe that Nagy is that guy.

But I still dont wanna lose Vic.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

He clearly desires a HC position and I pretty much agree with all you said.

I'm reasonably sure that Fangio has had multiple HC interviews and not made the cut. It makes me wonder if he just is a little too direct in his interviews. When he has to answer questions about what he'd do in a bad situation, he might not come across as the most politically correct guy.

Just a guess on my part.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Does he really have the desire? If I were Pace, I would make him the highest paid DC in the league, and give him a monetary incentive not to go anywhere.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think he stays.

Most of the positions will be with young QB's, drafting QB's or have just had a former DC flame out.
GSH
MVP

what do you mean he "clearly desires a hc" gig?

he hates talking to the media or being questioned about his methods.

he built this D from the ground up, gets to revel in all the good stuff without having to face the firing squad media when it goes pear.

We are in a time where the NFL is going more offensive minded and younger at HC than ever before.

I dont see it. Vic stays, probably takes a fatter paycheck to keep him here, but I cant see him going anywhere because if he does ill cry and if theres one thing fangio hates, its crying.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Also. If you've built this juggernaut of a defense. Wouldn't you want to see them win a Super Bowl before you bail? He's got to know his opportunity to do that is right around the corner. If everything goes to plan.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:He clearly desires a HC position and I pretty much agree with all you said.
clearly based on what exactly?

anyway, it's interesting, because the bears and the colts both went out and hired hot young offensive minded coaches, and they're both tearing it up. the eagles did the same and won a superbowl. the rams did the same and are serious contenders. if anyone payed attention to the chargers they'd notice that anthony lynn is quitely doing quite well.

and then the titans, cardinals and lions went out and got themselves defensive coordinators for coaches and well, they stink.

the only recent outliers to this are gruden and shurmur, but they're both retreads. you just gotta believe that every team right now is looking for the next hotshot offensive coordinator to hire and not old man fangio no matter how well our defense is doing.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Mikefive wrote:He clearly desires a HC position and I pretty much agree with all you said.

anyway, it's interesting, because the bears and the colts both went out and hired hot young offensive minded coaches, and they're both tearing it up. the eagles did the same and won a superbowl. the rams did the same and are serious contenders. if anyone payed attention to the chargers they'd notice that anthony lynn is quitely doing quite well.

and then the titans, cardinals and lions went out and got themselves defensive coordinators for coaches and well, they stink.

the only recent outliers to this are gruden and shurmur, but they're both retreads. you just gotta believe that every team right now is looking for the next hotshot offensive coordinator to hire and not old man fangio no matter how well our defense is doing.
To your point. I can guarantee you that Defillipo will get a HC job, before Fangio does.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

yeah, and that's kind of why too the best case scenario, you've got a defensive coach, and things are going well, is kind of a double edged sword. there's a good chance you're going to lose your OC sooner rather than later with as much turnover as the NFL has each season. The Vikes potentially having 3 OC's in 3 years is just a big kick in the nuts for them.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I could see him getting a job, but his path is pretty narrow. He may want to stay here as the defensive HC, or he may want to be the guy. It would be a loss for the Bears, but I think anyone including Mel Tucker could keep this defensive roster in the top 10.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:I could see him getting a job, but his path is pretty narrow. He may want to stay here as the defensive HC, or he may want to be the guy. It would be a loss for the Bears, but I think anyone including Mel Tucker could keep this defensive roster in the top 10.
Please don’t ever mention this defense, and Mel Tucker, in the same post again. It is heresy. You will be burned at the stake, and your fried remains placed on a pike pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
docc
Head Coach

Mel ? Whose name shall be shunned and never uttered
UOK
Site Admin

I don’t believe Vic cares about a head coaching job. He seems more like a guy who just likes to work without being interrupted. I don’t think he’d leave unless a coastal job opened up where he could play golf and watch baseball year round.
G08
Hall of Famer

Vic has said he has desires to be a Head Coach, that's not something that can be debated.

He also has said he's not going to cry or think less of himself or his career if it doesn't happen.

The way the league is going, you're looking for a hot offensive mind to pair with a young QB. That's the template to winning Super Bowls the quickest. The problem with a defensive guy is IF you find a coordinator to pair with your QB, and they're setting the league on fire, that coordinator is a goner. Then what happens? New coordinator, new scheme? Or are you smart/lucky enough to keep bringing up and training coaches versed in the same scheme? And even if you are, all these schemers and game-planners don't see the game the same way.

Selfishly I hope Vic Fangio doesn't go anywhere and he's our DC for the next 10+ years... but IF it happens a part of me will be happy for the old bastid.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

docc
Head Coach

Non ti preoccupare
Victorio, non lasci questa stanza, capito?

Gli offriremo un patto che non può rifiutare

Capisci ?
Last edited by docc on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Pretty much every assistant desires to be the guy. I have never heard of a coordinator wanting to coordinate their entire career. I believe if he was offered the right HC gig, he would take it. There are some guys on the D staff that could probably do a pretty good job with a good D. Donatell comes to mind immediately.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:

Frank Reich is 56, he has been around awhile. McVay definitely young.
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Pretty much every assistant desires to be the guy. I have never heard of a coordinator wanting to coordinate their entire career. I believe if he was offered the right HC gig, he would take it. There are some guys on the D staff that could probably do a pretty good job with a good D. Donatell comes to mind immediately.
Oh abso-fucking-lutely -- if Fangio leaves I tell Donatell he's not going anywhere and he's being promoted to DC.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

What if goon bay hired Vic and helfrich.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not likely. GB will be looking for a proven OC type who will kiss Rodger's ass. I don't think Helfrich has any real NFL cred outside of Chicago.
docc
Head Coach

GB needs to keep the StayPuff HC...they deserve each other..as they enter the endless miasma of the false search for the Erinn replacement..
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Article on Fangio and interest of other teams, current:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vic- ... -to-shine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wab
Mod

Fangio just isn't what teams are currently viewing as the new mold for a HC. He's an old crotchety DC. Not a young and charismatic offensive brain.

I do think however, if in the off chance he got a HC gig, the Bears D would be ok. I also think Fangio would fail spectacularly as a HC.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:

To your point. I can guarantee you that Defillipo will get a HC job, before Fangio does.
I agree, because I don’t think Fangio will ever be a head coach. You have to think Flip has lost some momentum from last off-season though. Minnesota has underwhelmed in my opinion.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Fangio just isn't what teams are currently viewing as the new mold for a HC. He's an old crotchety DC. Not a young and charismatic offensive brain.

I do think however, if in the off chance he got a HC gig, the Bears D would be ok. I also think Fangio would fail spectacularly as a HC.
I see your crotchety DC and raise you one Mike Zimmer

:taunt:

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:Fangio just isn't what teams are currently viewing as the new mold for a HC. He's an old crotchety DC. Not a young and charismatic offensive brain.

The NFL landscape and what teams are currently looking for has changed a lot in the last 4 years.
Umbali
MVP

Well here is hoping our predictions and desires come true :) ...especially my Selma Hayek desires !
Pagan
MVP

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:

The NFL landscape and what teams are currently looking for has changed a lot in the last 4 years.

I could agree more with wab.

There will be a slew of college offense gurus in line for 1st time coaching gigs.
Fangio will simply have to settle for being hailed as this Gens Budy Ryan.
Umbali
MVP

Pagan wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:

I could agree more with wab.

There will be a slew of college offense gurus in line for 1st time coaching gigs.
Fangio will simply have to settle for being hailed as this Gens Budy Ryan.
Well if he is this Gens Buddy Ryan I sure hope he stays with us because I always wondered what would have happened after 85 Season if he had stayed.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

It's not completely out of mind that a team could look at Vic, but I think the amount of teams will be fairly small. Jags for instance might look for Vic to try and fix that def and hope the OC can figure out the O.

It's just basackwards thinknig b/c that OC will eventually go away for a HC job for a team that has plans or already has a young qb.