OT: Great 80s Bears video...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Knuckles
Player of the Month

I was watching THIS vid this morning that a pal sent to me that I never seen before on the 80s Bears D and while watching it and listening to the commentary about individual players, the Ds/teams philosophy and the personalities of the players it sure reminds me of this team we have now and Nagy's commitment to "Be You" and how he's trying to get that swagger and fun back into this team got me all fired up about the next 5+ years.

That excitement and fun we experienced back in the 80s that made that team and the city of Chicago a national story everyone watched and enjoyed (so long as they weren't playing their team that week) is what Nagy's trying to accomplish here and even in the video I linked they talk about the same exact things that they did back then that built that personality and swagger... Keep it fun and let these guys build their own legacy. Using defenders in Nagy's mad scientist offense, the BOOM after the games, the passion he has during the game all make it fun for these guys and fun to watch and keeps these guys loose.

We saw the exact opposite this week with the Vikings team where they looked tight and scared to make a mistake especially their QB so much so even the announcers were talking about that (remind you of another team's PAST?). We don't see that out of any player on the Bears including our 2nd year QB. It all comes down to swagger and keeping it loose and fun. Even in the losses they had this year they never looked lost or timid since that first GB games 2nd half.

This wasn't a post to compare the two teams production but just more of how this team resembles some of that excitement and team personality that made football fun to watch and follow even during the week. I have not watched SNL since the 80s but I bet the 3 hairs I have left on my head that they will bring that skit back if they go to the SB. That's how similar the vibe is as a fan from back then.

It's funny my dad was a die-hard Bear fan for 50+ years but quit following them around 16 years ago until this season. He actually bought Sunday Ticket just to see the Bears this year because he said pretty much the exact same things I mentioned above... I kept saying it for decades they already knew the formula for a winning franchise they just never had the right ingredients.

Anyhow, thought I'd share... It's so exciting and fun to be a Bear fan right now. Can't wait for Sunday!

GO BEARS!
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Good memories. Too bad Todd Bell and Al Harris held out in 85. Bell was a bruising, big time hitter and what he would have did on that 85 D, OMG. That D was just dominating as hell.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Otis Day wrote:Good memories. Too bad Todd Bell and Al Harris held out in 85. Bell was a bruising, big time hitter and what he would have did on that 85 D, OMG. That D was just dominating as hell.
I forgot all about Bell until that video lol... Man they had one heck of a front office back then... multiple positions replacing a pro bowler with another is just nuts. Kinda like what we're seeing this year in a way with guys stepping up for injured starters and not losing a step. Fun times!
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
BuddyRyans46
Practice Squad

When I clicked on it, I assumed it was an IronworkerJeff video. He has a ton of 80's Bears videos on youtube. He has also posted the old SportsCentury which ESPN aired about Buddy Ryan and the 46 Defense.