Nagy Adjusts Blocking Scheme And Howard Thrives Again

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
MVP

Matt Nagy rediscovered the secret to unleashing Jordan Howard
by Lorin Cox

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/ ... -playoffs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jordan Howard has been through a lot in the 12 months since the Chicago Bears hired Matt Nagy.

From the start, he was labeled a poor fit in the incoming Kansas City offense, and trade rumors swirled leading up to the NFL Draft.

Nagy stood by his top running back publicly at every turn, even as Howard's yards per carry dipped down to three early in the season.

Questions about his long term future in Chicago persisted as his production came up short of years' past, but in the final five games of the season, Howard seemed to find new life.

He racked up 399 yards and four touchdowns over that span, helping the Bears' offense develop a more physical tone as they head into the playoffs.

The key to Howard's late-season turnaround wasn't anything he did differently. It was his head coach rediscovering how to best use the physical running back.

Jordan Howard Chicago Bears Running Back (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

Nagy changed the Bears rushing scheme back to what made Howard so successful in his first two seasons.

Under John Fox, the offense employed an almost purely "zone" running game, a type of blocking which allows the running back to follow the flow of his offensive line, read his keys, pick a lane before attacking upfield.

The Dowell Loggains offense alternated almost exclusively between inside and outside zone runs, and Howard used his elite vision to set up blocks and make the most out of every yard his offensive line created for him.

When Nagy took over, he tried to diversify the running game with more "gap" scheme plays, which is a more downhill style of rushing where the blocking opens up one specific lane for the running back to attack.

These runs tend to involve a pulling offensive lineman to lead block in the designated hole, and they are not built for a running back to make any type of cutback.

Nagy tried to plug Howard into the gap scheme running game, and it proved to be a poor fit for his playing style.

Jordan Howard Power Run (GIF via NFL Game Pass)

According to Pro Football Focus, Howard averaged 2.9 yards per carry on gap scheme runs this season, compared to 4.1 yards per carry when running zone.

As the season went on, Nagy seemed to realize the issue and correct it.

Over the first eight weeks of the season, Howard ran zone on 58.9 percent of his rushes, according to PFF. From Weeks 9-17, his runs were 74.3 percent zone.

Across the final four games of the year, over 84 percent of Howard's carries were zone runs.

It was most clear in Week 17, when PFF charted him with two gap scheme runs compared to 20 zone carries, including his longest rush of the season.

Jordan Howard Inside Zone Run (GIF via NFL Game Pass)

At some point, Nagy figured out how to get the most out of his top running back instead of trying to force him into a rushing scheme he wasn't fit for.

The offensive line also looks more comfortable blocking the types of runs they were built for in the previous offense.

This in-season adjustment shows the maturation of the first-year head coach. Nagy rewarded Howard for his patience, and Howard is rewarding him with a strong running game to carry the Bears into the playoffs.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Nice analysis and read!
Bearfacts
MVP

I've been on my soap box about this all year.

My belief is the problem was never Howard per se but rather our persistence in taking a RB who was a perfect fit for zone blocking schemes and forcing him to play in a one gap scheme that didn't allow his to use his best talent and skill.

Howard has tremendous vision, burst, and elusiveness near the LOS. He's an ideal one cut back with the power to break a first tackle attempt and yet were weren't using him in that manner. He wasn't the problem. The blocking scheme was.

Looking at the two GIFS I posted illustrate the problems we had earlier in the season breaking him free (GIF #1) vs watching him finally break a long run much as he's done in the past (GIF #2) running behind zone blocking.

Now running primarily behind zone blocking his YPC are back up over 4.0, he's rushed for 399 yards in the past 5 games (80 ypg avg.) and scored 4 tds on carries inside the ten yard line. Thankfully Nagy finally figured this out.
Bearfacts
MVP

ramentaschen wrote:Nice analysis and read!
:toast:

I've just never felt Howard was not a good fit. Only that we needed to use his strengths more instead of forcing him to be the type of RB he isn't. He's a one cut zone type back and as long as we run that scheme he'll be successful. JMHO
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the most positive element is the ability of Nagy to make adjustments as needed to use the players he has and get the most out of them

he still annoys me with some of his cutesy stuff, but I will simply accept that as part of who he is and appreciate what he has accomplished and happy he is running the controls for future success
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IotaNet
MVP

Bearfacts wrote:At some point, Nagy figured out how to get the most out of his top running back instead of trying to force him into a rushing scheme he wasn't fit for ...

This in-season adjustment shows the maturation of the first-year head coach. Nagy rewarded Howard for his patience, and Howard is rewarding him with a strong running game to carry the Bears into the playoffs.
Boris13c wrote:the most positive element is the ability of Nagy to make adjustments as needed to use the players he has and get the most out of them ...
Bingo.

I've been saying since preseason that we would need to be patient with this team because, in addition to so many new players and scheme, we have a ROOKIE HEAD COACH.

No matter how smart, now matter how good a leader, no matter how much an offensive genius, there are certain things about being an NFL Head coach (like any job) that you only learn from experience. There were bound to be bonehead play calls, clock mis-management, and talent mis-reads. The key with Nagy is he seems to be fantastic at learning from his mistakes and making corrections.

I'm telling you boys, we are "playing with house money" this year and anything thing we achieve in the playoffs is gravy. Next year, when things have had a chance to jell, this team is going to be a true juggernaut!
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

We have all been saying this until we were blue in the face. I will post this AGAIN. Brett Kollmann does a masterful job of explaining WHY Jordan Howard had two 1000 yard rushing seasons, and WHY he is a pure zone runner. Thank GOD Nagy finally got there. NOW the Bears will be unstoppable. If Nagy is truly moving to a heavy zone run scheme, this team will be unbelievable. YES!!!!

Jordan Howard - Zone Runner
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:We have all been saying this until we were blue in the face. I will post this AGAIN. Brett Kollmann does a masterful job of explaining WHY Jordan Howard had two 1000 yard rushing seasons, and WHY he is a pure zone runner. Thank GOD Nagy finally got there. NOW the Bears will be unstoppable. If Nagy is truly moving to a heavy zone run scheme, this team will be unbelievable. YES!!!!

Jordan Howard - Zone Runner
This article literally has me all giddy. To me, this was the last critical piece of making the Bears an elite team.
Bearfacts
MVP

Some still shots of how the zone blocking set up Howard's 42 yard run.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/film-revie ... 56148.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As the ball is snapped, a hole quickly opens up with Long routing defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson to his outside shoulder and Bobby Massie stonewalling defensive end Danielle Hunter (orange circle). Trey Burton runs across the line of scrimmage (purple arrow), with linebacker Anthony Barr freezing and then moving to his right along with Burton's motion. That quickly opens up a big hole for Howard (blue arrow) to run toward.

Howard takes the handoff, with Josh Bellamy blocking cornerback Trae Waynes but also getting his hands on safety Anthony Harris just enough (yellow circle).

Howard plants his left foot and takes off, with an off-balance Harris unable to get to him. By the time Howard hits the hole opened up by Long and Massie (orange arrows) it's absolutely massive.

Howard turns this into a 42-yard run with a shifty move on safety Harrison Smith, who gets completely turned around in the open field.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote:Some still shots of how the zone blocking set up Howard's 42 yard run.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/film-revie ... 56148.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As the ball is snapped, a hole quickly opens up with Long routing defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson to his outside shoulder and Bobby Massie stonewalling defensive end Danielle Hunter (orange circle). Trey Burton runs across the line of scrimmage (purple arrow), with linebacker Anthony Barr freezing and then moving to his right along with Burton's motion. That quickly opens up a big hole for Howard (blue arrow) to run toward.

Howard takes the handoff, with Josh Bellamy blocking cornerback Trae Waynes but also getting his hands on safety Anthony Harris just enough (yellow circle).

Howard plants his left foot and takes off, with an off-balance Harris unable to get to him. By the time Howard hits the hole opened up by Long and Massie (orange arrows) it's absolutely massive.

Howard turns this into a 42-yard run with a shifty move on safety Harrison Smith, who gets completely turned around in the open field.
Great post. To Brett Kollmann's point. Look how Howard presses vertically, in order to give Bellamy more leverage against his blocker, and to draw Harris into the huge gap, before he plants his left leg and runs in between Bellamy and Massie. Part of Howard's talent in a zone scheme is understanding leverages and where the hole WILL be, not where it is.
G08
Hall of Famer

God, if this run game takes off...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:God, if this run game takes off...
And imagine how much pressure it would take off of Mitch.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:God, if this run game takes off...
Right?? I mean if Nagy has truly committed to a zone blocking scheme for Howard, and he can start peeling off 100 yard games through the playoffs; 1) Mitch is going to be awesome. 2) In combination with our defense, I can't think of one team that can beat us.

Here's food for thought. What if during the offseason, Nagy redesigns the running part of the offense, entirely around zone blocking for Howard? If Jordan hits the ground running next season? Just WOW!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

They were talking about this on the radio this morning, where PFF reported that the number of zone runs has increased significantly during the last month when Howard has taken off.

This is EXACTLY what I want to see out of my coach. He comes in with a scheme and it isn't working in some facets of the game. So he looks at his players and adapts his scheme to the strengths of his players.

Thank you, Matt Nagy!!! :grovel:

(Go to hell, Mike Martz. :boxing: )
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Who would have thought that adjusting your offense to get the most out of your players would end up getting the most out of your players?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:Who would have thought that adjusting your offense to get the most out of your players would end up getting the most out of your players?
Well it's a concept that Martz and Trestman couldn't grasp.
Umbali
MVP

I am so glad to see this. I wondered about it several times as Howards has gotten going lately. So happy to have Nagy!!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
AZ_Bearfan wrote:Who would have thought that adjusting your offense to get the most out of your players would end up getting the most out of your players?
Well it's a concept that Martz and Trestman couldn't grasp.

or Fox

so we should all count our blessings with what we are seeing

Nagy is not perfect, and he will probably be the first to tell you so himself ... but he does have a plan and is competent at executing that plan ... and the absolute most important part of that is what we are discussing - the ability to recognize flaws in the plan and take corrective action for positive results

other fans of other teams have had experiences with this type of phenomenon, but for us, this is a new and wonderful breath of fresh air for the team

AND, it seems he is also the perfect guy to have in place to develop a young and talented QB because it is apparent he and Trubisky do have an important connection - Nagy as the intelligent teacher and Trubisky as the intelligent student willing and able to learn

it may take some time to get used to but we should be ready for some long term happy days in Bears land
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I think one of the things I like most about Nagy is that he's honest about how new this all is to him and that he's learning too. He absolutely has a process and a plan and know where he wants to go, but he's learning and adjusting and figuring out the best way to get there. And that's pretty refreshing to see in a coach.