Our Running Game needs to be sorted out

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IotaNet
MVP

I am not a Jordan Howard hater but I think we need to do something different in the running game if we are to have real success in the playoffs.

I didn’t watch all 4 games yesterday but I did watch the bulk of Rams/Cowboys and Saints/Eagles. I was struck by how the winning teams had their running games in full effect. It seemed like every time either team needed a key play or key yardage, the running game made it happen.

A really good example is Kamara’s last run to put the game away. The Saints were on their own 33 with 1:03 left. They were up 6 points and could not give the ball back to Philly again. It was 3rd and 10 and Kamara got them 12. That was an absolute back-breaker and game ender. I can’t remember the Bears being able to consistently do that this past season.

The Rams were a total different telling of the story. Anderson had 23 carries for 123 yards and Gurley had 16 carries for 115 yards. That is NFC playoff football – on display and in your face.

I am not an X’s and O’s guy like some of you and I don’t know if its scheme, players, or play calling but this razzle-dazzle, jet-sweep, misdirection, Cohen around the edge stuff is not sustainable. (Philly shut that completely down last week.) We need to be able to impose our will on other teams in crunch time by pounding the rock when necessary.

I’m all for new-millennium, high-flying offense with Biscuit airing it out but we also HAVE to have a running game that we can rely on to seal the deal in the playoffs.
Last edited by IotaNet on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

I love Howard. He runs pretty hard, he has elite vision, and excellent feet. What's keeping him from being on the same level as guys like Zeke and Gurley and Gordon is that he lacks a second gear. Howard explodes through the hole, but that's it... he has one speed.
G08
Hall of Famer

Howard fan here as well but I want a dynamic, 3-down back so Nagy can open up his playbook even more.

Not sure how Pace attacks FA and the draft, but I have to think a RB is in the cards somewhere in the first two picks.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I still love to see teams run the ball. When you can do it well, it is demoralizing as hell. I like that.
wab
Mod

I'm really interested in ‎watching Trayveon Williams at the combine. Very very similar player to Hunt, but more explosive.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I don't get it. Whether he has one gear or four. WTF does it matter?? If he can rip off a 25 yard run, BECAUSE of his elite vision and feel for zone schemes, how is that any different than Gurley doing the same?

What you guys are essentially saying is, "if my running back can't take it to the house once he gets into the open field, he's a waste of a roster spot."

a) the players on the other team get paid too.
b) If Biscuits rips off a 25 yard strike to Robinson at the sideline, and he goes out of bounds. Is he a waste as well? If the open receiver can't score a TD once he catches it, is he a waste.

I guess I view Howard much differently. I see him as a weapon because in a zone running scheme, he can average 5 yards a carry. He will almost always have you in 2nd & 5, or 3rd & short, which keeps the entire playbook open. He softens up the defense with his downhill style of running, and he's still on his rookie contract next year.

I don't see how you DON'T keep him.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

BWN, I am with you buddy.
IotaNet
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: ... What you guys are essentially saying is, "if my running back can't take it to the house once he gets into the open field, he's a waste of a roster spot." ...
That's not my premise.

What I'm saying is, "We need a running game that can consistently get us tough yards and chew clock to put games away." Bonus points for "When the game is on the line and we need a crucial 3rd and 5 to wrap it up, our running game will deliver."

I don't care if its Howard or somebody else, that's what we need -- and I haven't seen us produce it.
Otis Day wrote:I still love to see teams run the ball. When you can do it well, it is demoralizing as hell. I like that.
This.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I still love to see teams run the ball. When you can do it well, it is demoralizing as hell. I like that.
Hope you watched the Rams game this weekend. Their running game was devastating.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Hope you watched the Rams game this weekend. Their running game was devastating.
Loved it. Love seeing backs hit the hole. I love the 5-12 yd runs man. I like seeing DL get pushed 2-3 yds out of the play. I like seeing LBs getting stood up in the hole and the RB making that cut, then seeing the RB truck a CB or S and knock them on their ass. it is a thing of beauty. Something I think the Bears could have done to the Eagles if they committed to it. I'll get over it.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He'll cost the Bears under a million dollars next year. If you have his level of talent at that value, it's worth hanging on to him, even if you only use him occasionally because you've added another RB via draft or FA.
xyt in the discord chats
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I don't get it. Whether he has one gear or four. WTF does it matter?? If he can rip off a 25 yard run, BECAUSE of his elite vision and feel for zone schemes, how is that any different than Gurley doing the same?

What you guys are essentially saying is, "if my running back can't take it to the house once he gets into the open field, he's a waste of a roster spot."

b) If Biscuits rips off a 25 yard strike to Robinson at the sideline, and he goes out of bounds. Is he a waste as well? If the open receiver can't score a TD once he catches it, is he a waste.

I guess I view Howard much differently. I see him as a weapon because in a zone running scheme, he can average 5 yards a carry. He will almost always have you in 2nd & 5, or 3rd & short, which keeps the entire playbook open. He softens up the defense with his downhill style of running, and he's still on his rookie contract next year.

The difference is, IMO, is that Howard did not break off enough runs of 20+ yards this year. I think this scheme is a little different and requires a different skill set than what Howard offers. It's nothing against Howard, but he wasn't as productive as he's been in the past. I trust Nagy/Pace to identify the reason why. Whether that's because of a limited skill set, or a bad scheme fit, or maybe they need better run blocking up front. Shoot, maybe it's a combination of all 3 and they have to make a decision on what to do, but I do trust them to get it right.
Never Die Easy
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I don't get it. Whether he has one gear or four. WTF does it matter?? If he can rip off a 25 yard run, BECAUSE of his elite vision and feel for zone schemes, how is that any different than Gurley doing the same?

The difference is, IMO, is that Howard did not break off enough runs of 20+ yards this year. I think this scheme is a little different and requires a different skill set than what Howard offers. It's nothing against Howard, but he wasn't as productive as he's been in the past. I trust Nagy/Pace to identify the reason why. Whether that's because of a limited skill set, or a bad scheme fit, or maybe they need better run blocking up front. Shoot, maybe it's a combination of all 3 and they have to make a decision on what to do, but I do trust them to get it right.
The problem was 100% scheme. Howard is a zone runner, NOT a power runner. Nagy was power blocking the first 10 games of the season, forcing Howard to run through a specific, pre-determined hole. That is not Howard. He is a pure zone blocking runner. Nagy started zone blocking more towards the end of the year, and that's when Jordan had his 100 yard games. If Nagy would adjust his offense to fit Howard, and zone block from the start, Howard would have 1000+ yard season next year. I'm certain of it.

Nagy said something during the press conference that was encouraging. He said that now he has a year under his belt, he will begin to fit the scheme to match the talent on the team. I am hoping that they keep howard and go full zone next year.