Bears Presser - Ryan and Matt

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Good press conference. Highlights;

-Cody Parkey is going to face stiff competition this Spring. Lots of questions regarding his status. Ryan needs more production out of the kicking position, and he will get it.

-The offense is going to take another big leap this year. Matt keeps talking about last year was 101, next year is 201. They will be able to hit the ground running in OTA's. Matt likes all of the pieces that they have.

-Pagano was an easy choice. Is the perfect fit for the team. There will be changes in the defense, but they expect that there will be a lot of similarities too. Nothing else is set on the defensive side. Had a lot of great things to say about Vic Fangio.

-Lots of questions about Kareem Hunt. They will evaluate that option based on the changes that Kareem makes in his life. Matt has talked to Kareem about the incident. He also believes in 2nd chances.

I think one of the clear things that you get from watching these two at the press conference was that, they are friends, and have a good working relationship.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think they were more pissed Parkey did the talk show tour than in the miss.
wab
Mod

They are also picking up Floyd's option.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:They are also picking up Floyd's option.
Oh, I missed that part. Good news!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:I think they were more pissed Parkey did the talk show tour than in the miss.
I was shocked that he did not clear that, or even discuss it with Matt or Ryan. That's crazy.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Anthony Miller will have surgery on that shoulder, and is the only Bear currently scheduled for offseason surgery.

I can’t wait to see him healthy again and with some experience under his belt.

https://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm/status/ ... 45665?s=20
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

While Pace said about Hunt - "we're nowhere near that point" several times. It seemed clear that both he and Nagy are both more than open about bringing Hunt in. Nagy went out of his way to say Hunt was a good person who he never had any problems with. He also said in that context he believes in second, but not third, chances.
wab
Mod

75% of the presser was about Parkey, which isn't unexpected. But I'd wager that Pace and Nagy don't want to spend 35 out of 50 minutes talking about the kicker ever again.
G08
Hall of Famer

I can't envision a scenario where Parkey makes it to training camp. I mean, I suppose you can let scars heal and make it an open competition... but how can anyone trust that asshole ever again?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I can't envision a scenario where Parkey makes it to training camp. I mean, I suppose you can let scars heal and make it an open competition... but how can anyone trust that asshole ever again?
Had Parkey not gone on his talk show tour, I think they'd bring him back and let him fight for his job. But they basically called him selfish in the presser, and that doesn't bode well for him.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:I can't envision a scenario where Parkey makes it to training camp. I mean, I suppose you can let scars heal and make it an open competition... but how can anyone trust that asshole ever again?
Had Parkey not gone on his talk show tour, I think they'd bring him back and let him fight for his job. But they basically called him selfish in the presser, and that doesn't bode well for him.
Precisely. I don't see how you can have an open competition in camp because -- again -- how in the world can you trust this SOB when the game is on the line? You simply cannot.

Cut bait, move on. I don't care if it's Gould, a FA, or a rookie in 2019. Move. On.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote:... how in the world can you trust this SOB when the game is on the line? You simply cannot.

Cut bait, move on. I don't care if it's Gould, a FA, or a rookie in 2019. Move. On.
I agree. And I think they (Nagy & Pace) would lose support and credibility from the fan base if they brought him back.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I thought the more interesting part of the presser was the fact that they had opportunities to clearly deny they will be bringing in a player with some off the field issues like Kareem Hunt and left it open ended.

I think if any team gives Hunt a second chance it might be the Bears because of Nagy's relationship with him. I don't know that I'd be comfortable with that, but we'll see how it shakes out.

I do know that Nagy is looking for a RB that is a little more explosive. He wants to find a guy that can break off big chunks of yards on the ground and as a receiver out of the backfield. He can't go to Cohen every time. As much as I love Howard, I don't think he's on the roster in 2019 as he doesn't appear to be a scheme fit with what Nagy wants to do on offense. It'll be either Hunt, a rookie RB or a FA IMO. I think Howard gets traded either during or right before the draft.

Howard is a thumper-plodder type and Nagy wants to be aggressive on the ground and through the air by getting big chunks of yards. It just doesn't seem like Howard really fits into what Nagy wants. It's a shame because I love Howard, but I get it.
Never Die Easy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:I thought the more interesting part of the presser was the fact that they had opportunities to clearly deny they will be bringing in a player with some off the field issues like Kareem Hunt and left it open ended.

I think if any team gives Hunt a second chance it might be the Bears because of Nagy's relationship with him. I don't know that I'd be comfortable with that, but we'll see how it shakes out.

I do know that Nagy is looking for a RB that is a little more explosive. He wants to find a guy that can break off big chunks of yards on the ground and as a receiver out of the backfield. He can't go to Cohen every time. As much as I love Howard, I don't think he's on the roster in 2019 as he doesn't appear to be a scheme fit with what Nagy wants to do on offense. It'll be either Hunt, a rookie RB or a FA IMO. I think Howard gets traded either during or right before the draft.

Howard is a thumper-plodder type and Nagy wants to be aggressive on the ground and through the air by getting big chunks of yards. It just doesn't seem like Howard really fits into what Nagy wants. It's a shame because I love Howard, but I get it.
I agree that the lack of Hunt interest denial was a bit of a stunner for me.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
GSH
MVP

they both look absolutely furious with parkey and exhausted after defending him and talking about it so much, his appearance on that show would have been a real slap in the face.

he is done.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think the Hunt thing was just to float it out there that we *may* kick the tires on him. I still don't think Virginia or George McCaskey will ultimately sign off on the move, but I am hoping they do.

UOK
Site Admin

I thought I read today that Parkey can be cut after June 1st and it would cost the Bears $1 million or so less than they would if they did it today.
docc
Head Coach

UOK wrote:I thought I read today that Parkey can be cut after June 1st and it would cost the Bears $1 million or so less than they would if they did it today.
Cody Parkey swims with the fishes..
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

I still can't figure out why he felt the need to go the talk show route

maybe he wanted to be sure the Bears didn't want him back?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I think the Hunt thing was just to float it out there that we *may* kick the tires on him. I still don't think Virginia or George McCaskey will ultimately sign off on the move, but I am hoping they do.
This is a tough one. Personally, I understand the gravity of what he did, and how the action is 100% inexcusable. However, he’s a 23 yr old young man, and he made a BIG mistake. My question is, did he learn from it? If you feel that the incident fundamentally changed who he was, for the better. Then I am a big proponent for giving a person a 2nd chance. There are limitations to my generosity of course (rape, murder, etc.). Interestingly though I have less tolerance for Addison Russell because I feel that was a protracted, premeditated behavior that focused on the continued psychological and physical abuse of a spouse, who was also the mother of his son. I feel that Addison Russell’s actions were a clearer look into the nature of a person than Hunt’s was. Hunt’s was an impulsive mistake, Russell’s revealed a massive character flaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
Precisely. I don't see how you can have an open competition in camp because -- again -- how in the world can you trust this SOB when the game is on the line? You simply cannot.

I have never seen Nagy's body language and face look so dark and angry as it did in that conference when he was quiet listening to Pace answer Parkey questions. Something about that talk show REALLY rubbed him wrong, and I would be surprised if Parkey is back.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

As to Kareem Hunt. The kid made a bad mistake, and you cannot take it lightly. In general I do believe in 2nd chances IF the person takes responsibility and more importantly, commits to a path to improve themselves. If Ray Lewis was able to redeem himself, then it isn't out of the question for Hunt. On the other side, I love the high character locker room we have and don't want someone poisoning, or compromising it. So I'd be comfortable with giving him a chance if he is genuinely sorry, enters into a long term program of therapy with Pace/Nagy being able to monitor/confirm he is attending for a couple years. Why so long? It takes a couple years for a person to unpack what made them into the person who lost control that way and develop new patterns of thinking, responding, and behavior such that change is permanent. IF he was willing to commit to change and treatment, then I'd be willing to take the risk of a 2nd chance. Also he should be willing to compensate the woman he he hurt, and engage in off season community service of her choice.

His talent is undeniable, and he would literally be the perfect fit for Nagy's offense. He and Cohen together in 2 RB sets would be almost impossible to account for without leaving other WRs/TEs in single cover. It would be the sort of addition that would propel the offense higher even if Bisky didn't continue improving (which I fully believe he will). So If he can commit to self improvement, then I think what he brings is worth rolling the dice.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Hunt was involved in a separate altercation in January, and then another in June. Moreover, he lied about the February incident when the Chiefs questioned him.

This does not appear to be a one-time thing.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:Hunt was involved in a separate altercation in January, and then another in June. Moreover, he lied about the February incident when the Chiefs questioned him.

This does not appear to be a one-time thing.
I heard that on the radio, and completely forgot about those incidents. My window of forgiveness just closed quite a bit more.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I dunno...I've watched that video a few times now (just watched it twice again to be sure)...

I see him kinda pleading with that girl at first, seemingly trying to get her to chill the fuck out. She was wasted out of her mind, he seemed trashed also. When she got knocked down, it was clearly by accident as he shoved some other guy who was restraining him and that guy fell into her. The little kick at the end didn't help, but it was a total love tap, nothing vicious behind it AT ALL.

I get it, you can't hit women. But, he didn't! And she has responsibility here, she was drunk as hell and all up in his face. Had multiple chances to leave but kept pushing it and coming back. Fights are a two way street and she has a part in it. Ultimately this was a shove of some guy who was trying to play peacemaker, he fell into her, and she hit the wall then floor hard.

I'm more concerned about the fact that there's 3 incidents involving drinking and violence now. Seems like he might have a drinking problem. But I do not consider him a woman abuser, not from this at least. IMO, if he shows a willingness to address what looks like a drinking problem, I'd have no problems with him being a Bear. And, just for perspective, I was going to swear off the Bears forever if they had signed Vick a few years back. So it's not like I just ignore this stuff, I just don't think this was that bad an incident and it's being overblown.
wab
Mod

The Hunt thing is a tough one for me. This isn't like Ray Rice, but it's still serious. It appears as though he has an issue with booze bringing out aggression (just like a lot of people in society).

Do I think he's an inherently bad person...no, not really. Would I be upset if he was on my team.....man I don't know.

If they jettison a player like Howard who might not have the talent (in this system) that Hunt does, but is a genuinely good human being, I'd have certain feelings about it.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

3 incidents until something happened? Interesting. I think he already used up his second chance. Sometimes you just have to be a hard liner, this would be my case. Let him go the Raiders.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote:I dunno...I've watched that video a few times now (just watched it twice again to be sure)...

I see him kinda pleading with that girl at first, seemingly trying to get her to chill the fuck out. She was wasted out of her mind, he seemed trashed also. When she got knocked down, it was clearly by accident as he shoved some other guy who was restraining him and that guy fell into her. The little kick at the end didn't help, but it was a total love tap, nothing vicious behind it AT ALL.

I get it, you can't hit women. But, he didn't! And she has responsibility here, she was drunk as hell and all up in his face. Had multiple chances to leave but kept pushing it and coming back. Fights are a two way street and she has a part in it. Ultimately this was a shove of some guy who was trying to play peacemaker, he fell into her, and she hit the wall then floor hard.

I'm more concerned about the fact that there's 3 incidents involving drinking and violence now. Seems like he might have a drinking problem. But I do not consider him a woman abuser, not from this at least. IMO, if he shows a willingness to address what looks like a drinking problem, I'd have no problems with him being a Bear. And, just for perspective, I was going to swear off the Bears forever if they had signed Vick a few years back. So it's not like I just ignore this stuff, I just don't think this was that bad an incident and it's being overblown.
I'm with you here, plankster. The 3 incidents are a bad look for him... but man is he a talent that could be had on the cheap. Nagy would have to stick his neck out for this kid and I just don't know if he can truly trust the young man, but I'm also way on the outside.

Society likes to sensationalize things, especially the media. I've said this in another thread but if this woman was a man and everything else was the same (height, weight, strength, etc etc etc) nobody would bat an eye at this because she got up in his face, slapped him, and then went after him yelling shit after he walked away. Nobody talks about that or how she shoved a guy who then pinballed off Hunt and back into her, knocking her down.

I'm not condoning any of what happened on the video, but to me they are both to blame and if either of them was my kid they'd be getting an earful.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The fact that he lied to everyone's face until video proof was obtained seems like he's not very remorseful. Just my opinion.
wab
Mod

Maybe I'm naive, and I know that NFL players aren't boy scouts...but I just don't think Hunt fits with what the team is building. From a culture perspective, from a character perspective, and from a perception perspective.