Update: Kareem Hunt signs w/ Browns

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Funkster
MVP

Otis Day wrote:What I will find interesting, he was making around $450,000 this year, $465,000 last year as a 3rd rd pick. He gets fired/cut. He will probably make way more than next year than he would have under his Chiefs contract. It will be interesting to see what he makes. someone will throw crazy money at him. I would not offer him more than his original contract called for, unless he would accept some crazy incentives.
Some team will throw big dollars at him and some teams have big dollars to do so. It will most likely be in the form of performance and keeping out of trouble prove it money. This kid is good, he’s averaged 1,492 all purpose yards and 12 TDs per year. If the bears can get him in the blue and orange on the cheap, it will make a huge difference in the bears offense.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Maybe I'm naive but I just don't see how any team is going to throw $$$ at this kid.

He's a reclamation project as it stands... maybe prove your worth for 2-3 seasons before you get a big contract.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

He'll get a one year deal worth a little less than the average/yr salary for a RB. So like 3.5 million....heavily incentivized and full of language that allows the team to pay him zero if he screws up.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:He'll get a one year deal worth a little less than the average/yr salary for a RB. So like 3.5 million....heavily incentivized and full of language that allows the team to pay him zero if he screws up.

Does a 1 year deal really make sense? Let’s say he balls, then what? Franchise tag or let him again test FA? That could cost a team like the bears too much. I would think a 2-3 year deal full of language and performance based money seems more realistic and team friendly.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:He'll get a one year deal worth a little less than the average/yr salary for a RB. So like 3.5 million....heavily incentivized and full of language that allows the team to pay him zero if he screws up.

Does a 1 year deal really make sense? Let’s say he balls, then what? Franchise tag or let him again test FA? That could cost a team like the bears too much. I would think a 2-3 year deal full of language and performance based money seems more realistic and team friendly.
It's the optics of the situation of well. If we're going to say that we're giving the kid a second chance, we can't do it with promising him a ton of money.

That's half the lure for me, I want his talent and (I'm hoping) motivated ass on our roster for cheap. He owes US for giving him a chance to redeem himself, not the other way around.

However, if $$$ comes into play, we would just have to hope that our roster/scheme/Trubisky/Nagy will supersede what I anticipate shouldn't be more than $1M.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Your number may be about right. But I have a simpler idea. Zero signing bonus. That way, if you turn him loose, you're done paying him with zero cap consequences.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Really, he already got one signing bonus, why reward him with another for being cut.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

The guys one of the most exciting RBs to watch in the league and the type of back (talent/style wise) I've been wanting on this team for a long time. I don't care what the $$ amounts are so long as it pays him what he's worth (with incentives to keep his nose clean) and protects the team if he does something stupid in the future.

He will be to the offense what Mack is to the D talent wise (to an extent). He's that good... and IMO will raise the offense to the next level.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Your number may be about right. But I have a simpler idea. Zero signing bonus. That way, if you turn him loose, you're done paying him with zero cap consequences.
I guess I should've given more info here. I'd sign him multi-years, even if it's just 2. But with no signing bonus, he only gets paid as long as he stays clean. Nothing up front. And we have no disincentive for cutting him if he misbehaves. I could go with a small bonus that is not enough to bother us if we wanted to turn him loose and eat it tomorrow.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

“I think the important thing, as Matt pointed out,” McCaskey said, “is that he addresses his personal situation before worrying about football. I think that’s a demonstration of the kind of guy Matt is. He called him to have a non-football conversation because they had a player-coach relationship. I think that says a lot about Matt. He’s not just interested in these guys as football players. I think that’s one of the reasons the players respond to him so well.”

McCaskey was emphatic in dismissing the notion that Hunt’s violence against a woman presents a special dynamic for the Bears, who are owned by a woman — his 96-year-old mother, Virginia.

“This is a vexing social problem that everybody needs to be concerned about,” McCaskey said. “Violence by a man against a woman should offend everyone regardless of gender. But … she and I are like-minded. She entrusts me with this responsibility to make this assessment on behalf of ownership.”

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:“I think the important thing, as Matt pointed out,” McCaskey said, “is that he addresses his personal situation before worrying about football. I think that’s a demonstration of the kind of guy Matt is. He called him to have a non-football conversation because they had a player-coach relationship. I think that says a lot about Matt. He’s not just interested in these guys as football players. I think that’s one of the reasons the players respond to him so well.”

McCaskey was emphatic in dismissing the notion that Hunt’s violence against a woman presents a special dynamic for the Bears, who are owned by a woman — his 96-year-old mother, Virginia.

“This is a vexing social problem that everybody needs to be concerned about,” McCaskey said. “Violence by a man against a woman should offend everyone regardless of gender. But … she and I are like-minded. She entrusts me with this responsibility to make this assessment on behalf of ownership.”
There it is. Hunt signing is a formality. I would wager there is a 70%+ chance he is a Bear next year.
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:“I think the important thing, as Matt pointed out,” McCaskey said, “is that he addresses his personal situation before worrying about football. I think that’s a demonstration of the kind of guy Matt is. He called him to have a non-football conversation because they had a player-coach relationship. I think that says a lot about Matt. He’s not just interested in these guys as football players. I think that’s one of the reasons the players respond to him so well.”

I would just add, domestic violence isn’t just a man thing, it’s a woman thing also. I have a family member who is a cop and he says he take in his fair share of female abusers. I’m in no way saying what Hunt did was right, but she hit him in the face before he pushed her. This is always left out of any news story.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

"self-defense"
G08
Hall of Famer

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 289525002/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty crazy read

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

That's really a sad story and all the more reason not to have somebody's life ruined over a mistake like he made. If Hunt can turn his life around and overcome that background he would be an inspiration to a lot of people.
wab
Mod

You know, I really want to root for this kid to have success and turn his reputation around. His situation growing up did him absolutely no favors and he's overcome a lot.

I do not think he's an inherently bad kid. I think he's made some bad choices and hasn't had a lot of positive role models in his life.

If Nagy thinks he can be that guy for Hunt, I'm on board with bringing him in. Not simply because of his football talent, but because it's clear that Hunt needs good people in his life.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
You know, I really want to root for this kid to have success and turn his reputation around. His situation growing up did him absolutely no favors and he's overcome a lot.

I do not think he's an inherently bad kid. I think he's made some bad choices and hasn't had a lot of positive role models in his life.

If Nagy thinks he can be that guy for Hunt, I'm on board with bringing him in. Not simply because of his football talent, but because it's clear that Hunt needs good people in his life.
Love your heart, man. I do believe Nagy would be great for this kid and, more importantly, I think we have leadership on this team (Trubisky especially) who could help keep this kid on the straight-and-narrow. I sincerely hope he will be a Chicago Bear in 2019 and onward.

People want to talk about kids/women wearing the jersey of a woman abuser, nah, I see it as kids/women wearing the jersey of a young man who (I sincerely hope) is given a second chance and turns his life around for the better.

I found it comforting that people who have known him since his youth were stunned to see this video and mentioned how he was always a good kid.

Funkster
MVP

Unfortunately some people are born into bad situations. Through football Kareem has/had the opportunity to break that cycle for his family. He just has to choose to lay low, keep his circle very small and do the right thing. He’ll have to learn and understand that everything he does will be under a microscope, whether he likes it or not, it’s just part of the job description.

I like how these articles always point out “muscular 5-11, 200-pound frame” and “a graphic video that shows Hunt shoving and kicking a 19-year-old woman.” Still nothing about this 19 year old women first hitting him in the face when she was asked to leave due to underage drinking ...this entire saga, that has zero charges filled, is making a mountain out of a mole hill because of the uber sensitive society we live in these days.
Last edited by Funkster on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

Love your heart, man. I do believe Nagy would be great for this kid and, more importantly, I think we have leadership on this team (Trubisky especially) who could help keep this kid on the straight-and-narrow. I sincerely hope he will be a Chicago Bear in 2019 and onward.

People want to talk about kids/women wearing the jersey of a woman abuser, nah, I see it as kids/women wearing the jersey of a young man who (I sincerely hope) is given a second chance and turns his life around for the better.

I found it comforting that people who have known him since his youth were stunned to see this video and mentioned how he was always a good kid.
Trubisky especially??? I highly doubt that. Sure, he got everybody's attention in the huddle that one time and probably others. But when you're 24-years old, even if you're a good, hard working guy who plays QB, you don't qualify as THAT kind of leader until you're older and your team is winning because of you, not because you're a part that functions well most of the time. Kahlil Mack? Sure. Akiem Hicks? You bet. Kyle Long? Definitely. Mitch Trubisky? Has a ways to go, yet.

wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

Trubisky especially??? I highly doubt that. Sure, he got everybody's attention in the huddle that one time and probably others. But when you're 24-years old, even if you're a good, hard working guy who plays QB, you don't qualify as THAT kind of leader until you're older and your team is winning because of you, not because you're a part that functions well most of the time. Kahlil Mack? Sure. Akiem Hicks? You bet. Kyle Long? Definitely. Mitch Trubisky? Has a ways to go, yet.
I believe he's looking at it from the perspective that Mitch and Hunt have known each other since they were kids.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:

I believe he's looking at it from the perspective that Mitch and Hunt have known each other since they were kids.
You are correct sir.

Umbali
MVP

i worked in a prison/jail environment for 10 years. I saw many examples of women hitting/abusing men. Not just on a prisoner basis, I knew a guard who was abused by his wife. He had PTSD from Iraq and she took advantage of it and beat him with a frying pan. We all thought it was bullshit until she showed up crazy to pick him up and tried to attack some of us. Not at all saying this is the same thing, but women do some messed up shit too.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
G08
Hall of Famer

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://media.news-herald.com/2016/04/18 ... -school/#9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How crazy would this be :D

Funkster
MVP

Per rapsheet “Commissioner Roger Goodell says the Kareem Hunt investigation should conclude “soon” and that he’ll go back on the exempt list whenever he signed, as he awaits likely suspension”. Rap also said expect a conclusion before free agency.

Per multiple reports the Bucs sound interested in Hunt also.

I figured this would heat up. I think the bears won’t be able to pay what some teams will. The bears don’t really need a back (team finished 11th, averaged 121 a game and 4.1 per carry) and will have to watch how they spend their cap. Especially with both Howard and Kwiatkoski hitting their performance escalators, knock another 2.6M off.

I’m thinking the only hope is the personal relationships with Nagy and Mitch.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Hunt needs to sign with a team like the Bears and not follow the money. I'm pretty sure Winston would not be a great role model for a struggling young man. So, I'll get on board if the Bears do sign him..... but it's on you guys if Mitch starts kicking chicks. /s
G08
Hall of Famer

Allen Robinson would be willing to embrace disgraced former Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt if the Bears were to sign him.

The Bears receiver said Thursday that Hunt seemed like a “good dude” the few times he’d interacted with him over the past two years. He admitted, though, that he wasn’t clear on the details surrounding Hunt’s release from the Chiefs on Nov. 30, when TMZ aired a video that showed him pushing and kicking a woman in a Cleveland hotel last year.

“From when I met [him] and everything like that, for us to bring him into our locker room, I think guys would welcome him with open arms,” Robinson said. “He’d be one of us. …

“A guy they’d bring into our locker room would be our brother.”

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The core of leadership in this current locker room is pretty amazeballs. He really couldn't find a better fit..... plus, we're really good at football. That's gotta count for something in his mind.
G08
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:The core of leadership in this current locker room is pretty amazeballs. He really couldn't find a better fit..... plus, we're really good at football. That's gotta count for something in his mind.
I honestly don't give a shit what we do the rest of this off-season / the draft if we bring in Kareem Hunt.

I'll be bold enough to say he's the missing piece on our offense and will make us exponentially better the second he touches the field.

GSH
MVP

i dont back it coz dude is a shit head
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I want to think that the kid is good hearted and would be able to turn it around but man there is a lot of smoke around him with numerous incidents. I know most are alleged but people who are generally good don't get in multiple alleged incidents and there is also talk that if any of the other incidents turn out to be true it is going to be more than 6 games, possibly a season.

Dude is accused of 3 incidents in a 7 month span, that isn't accidental, it's a pattern.

It's pretty simple to not get in trouble:

- don't start fights
- don't party with assholes that start or like to fight
- don't jump into a fight you didn't start
- don't hit women, period, unless they are coming after you with a weapon of some sort
- don't do drugs
- if you do get in a fight partying, don't go do it over again and again