Update: Kareem Hunt signs w/ Browns

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

wab...at 23, would it have done you good to have taken a year off from school and/or work to "work on yourself" and "reflect on your violence issues"? hahahahaha

How fucking stupid are people, yet I'm hearing this all over the place. I'm with you guys, I did PLENTY wrong at that age. Lots of fights, usually when drunk, rarely my fault (from my POV at least). I'm Akiem Hicks size, like literally his height/weight, and very often some drunk ass would pick a fight with the biggest guy in the bar to show how tough he was - frequently that was me lol...

There are some real sanctimonious asshats out there. Jebus.

I'll buy a Hunt jersey if he signs with the Bears. And I'll have a the H removable with a C behind it if anyone gives me shit for wearing it.

:flick:
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: I'll buy a Hunt jersey if he signs with the Bears. And I'll have a the H removable with a C behind it if anyone gives me shit for wearing it.

:flick:
:rofl:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I think what people are missing is that he wasn't cut for the altercation. No team cuts the best RB in football for a spat. He was cut for lying to everybody in the organizations face. As a coach, I would need to know if he was remorseful for the fight, or for getting caught.
G08
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:I think what people are missing is that he wasn't cut for the altercation. No team cuts the best RB in football for a spat. He was cut for lying to everybody in the organizations face. As a coach, I would need to know if he was remorseful for the fight, or for getting caught.
Watching that interview, I don't think he realized how bad it looked on video until he actually saw it.

Could have been too drunk? Could have been a liar, I honestly don't know.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:I think what people are missing is that he wasn't cut for the altercation. No team cuts the best RB in football for a spat. He was cut for lying to everybody in the organizations face. As a coach, I would need to know if he was remorseful for the fight, or for getting caught.
Truthfully, how will you ever know, find out? Someone pretty damn dumb would have to say, "Well coach, I am sorry I was caught." That never happens. People apologize for the obvious.

I don't know this guy, he is a helluva player, have nothing against the Bears if the sign him, I am just a devil's advocate. When people lose their lively hood, they tend to start saying the right things. Convicted criminals, more often than not, apologize, find Christ, shit they didn't do before being caught.

A lot of times apologizing and looking remorseful are natural reactions to getting caught. Time will tell with this guy. For his sake I hope he straightens his shit out.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Like I tell my son, either stop fighting/cussing at school or stop getting caught. At this point I'd take either.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

G08 wrote:Could have been too drunk? Could have been a liar, I honestly don't know.
Yeah I never considered the fact that he might not even remember what happened. It's not an excuse, but it would explain his version of the events not aligning with the video.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:
Truthfully, how will you ever know, find out? Someone pretty damn dumb would have to say, "Well coach, I am sorry I was caught." That never happens. People apologize for the obvious.

I don't know this guy, he is a helluva player, have nothing against the Bears if the sign him, I am just a devil's advocate. When people lose their lively hood, they tend to start saying the right things. Convicted criminals, more often than not, apologize, find Christ, shit they didn't do before being caught.

A lot of times apologizing and looking remorseful are natural reactions to getting caught. Time will tell with this guy. For his sake I hope he straightens his shit out.
I found it interesting and wryly truthful when he said that he was embarrassed that that video got out. Not his behavior, mind you.

I tend to land around Otis on this. Should people get 2nd chances? Sure. But you don't want the same guy on your team. You just don't. So you need to have some pretty convincing evidence that he's truly changed. Otherwise, you look like a fool.

Many are saying that it wasn't a big deal, nobody got badly hurt. (That includes me.) It may sound dumb, but what really bothers me is that he had 2 other lesser incidents since. I know they were relatively small deals, but that really says a lot about this guy's thought process. When you got yourself in a situation that's bad enough that you had to lie to your team who loves you and wants to support you, then you should be smart enough--even at age 23--to make a decision that you're not going to even put yourself in those kinds of situations, which involved drinking and maybe other things in public places with people you met that day.

And maybe that's easy for me to say. I was married at 21, working and stayed out of trouble. But if you're Pace/Nagy who are staking their reputations on a guy, you better see an extraordinary change before you commit.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:This is the first time I have really dissected the videos. That I have watched and listened to what ACTUALLY went on. Watch these videos, and then you tell me who is at fault, and who is responsible. Listen to both of their explanations of the incident. That chick pushed multiple people trying to get to Hunt, and was hit, not by Hunt, but by someone being pushed into her. The kick at the end...that was minor at best.

I would sign Kareem tomorrow. That chick was trolling for a superstar. I'm sorry, I'm not into victim shaming, but I am also not into professional athletes getting targeted for their fame and money. Was everybody drinking, yeah probably. But that is their right as an over 21 year old in the US. Did he have the right to go out and party with his friends? Absolutely. Did she have the right to harass and provoke him? Absolutely not.

The incident

Two sides of the story

The Bears have a locker room that would help Hunt, not hurt him. With players like Mack, Hicks, Long and Robinson. They would be there as a positive force, not a negative one.

Sign that kid tomorrow.
Thank you! Meanwhile in Chiago I'm hearing the video is graphic and depicts him beating/brutalizing a woman. It's laughable.
I wrote basically the same thing in the Nagy/pace thread. This incident was nothing like Ray Rice Knocking out his wife. Hunt doesn’t have any previous domestic violence incident like Greg Hardy or Ruben Foster. The young female was the aggressor and hit Hunt in the face. She was pushed into the wall inadvertently by someone else. The “kick” was minor at best, there was no intent to harm. The click bait headline of brutalizing are laughable.

I also said let the law handle these situations. The NFL has proven they’re not qualified to judge these matters. They get it wrong time and time again. They don’t even understand the ideal gas law and give a player (Brady) a four game suspension and a 8 game suspension (including time previously served) to another player (Kendricks) for pleading guilty to two federal crimes which he could face up to 25 years in prison for. Really? That’s worth only 4 more games than fractions of air?

IMO, Hunts biggest mistakes were 1.) not calling hotel security. 2.) Not being 100% truthful to the chiefs when question about the incident. Given the severity of the NFL’s recent stance on DV, I can’t say I blame him. Whether or not the bears sign him, his career shouldn’t be in jeopardy over his.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
G08 wrote: ... This is the shit that drives me crazy, everyone is all over this kid but nobody says a single thing about the girl's role in this and how she was the aggressor in a couple instances. It's so stupid.

I'd bet if every single male on this board was her height/weight/strength they wouldn't have gotten in Hunts face like this, slapped him, or chased after him after he left. Unless they were looking for a fight and/or ready to get their ass kicked.
That's the sad thing about these young guys in sports.

You take a young person in their 20's, give them more money than most people will ever see in a lifetime and tell them to be responsible adults. In the meantime, every hanger-on, golddigger, bad actor in the world is glomming onto them with one hand open and the other carrying a cellphone/camera.

Then everyone sits back and tut-tuts about how irresponsible they are and what stupid decisions they make. Even though most people in that situation (myself included at 25 years old) would be totally unprepared for the kind of crap they have to deal with.

I hope Hunt is able to make it through to the other side of this.
G08 at 23 years old? Thank GOD they didn't have cellphone cameras back then :lol:

(no I wasn't going around accosting people -- I'm a lover, not a fighter)
Man I was. I was a hotheaded fighter in my 20's. I hung out with the wrong people and did all the wrong things.

Thank god there were no cellphones or social media... I know it would have absolutely burned me.
I was just a drunk idiot back in my day.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Otis Day wrote:

I found it interesting and wryly truthful when he said that he was embarrassed that that video got out. Not his behavior, mind you.

I tend to land around Otis on this. Should people get 2nd chances? Sure. But you don't want the same guy on your team. You just don't. So you need to have some pretty convincing evidence that he's truly changed. Otherwise, you look like a fool.

Many are saying that it wasn't a big deal, nobody got badly hurt. (That includes me.) It may sound dumb, but what really bothers me is that he had 2 other lesser incidents since. I know they were relatively small deals, but that really says a lot about this guy's thought process. When you got yourself in a situation that's bad enough that you had to lie to your team who loves you and wants to support you, then you should be smart enough--even at age 23--to make a decision that you're not going to even put yourself in those kinds of situations, which involved drinking and maybe other things in public places with people you met that day.

And maybe that's easy for me to say. I was married at 21, working and stayed out of trouble. But if you're Pace/Nagy who are staking their reputations on a guy, you better see an extraordinary change before you commit.
I think if you get Hunt on a team like the Bears, with players like Mack, Hicks and Long. With his old OC, that is giving him a 2nd chance. That shit clears up REALLY fast.
Funkster
MVP

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/ ... n-by-march" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Article ends with “Hunt has undergone counseling for anger and alcohol issues.”
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Otis Day wrote:

I think if you get Hunt on a team like the Bears, with players like Mack, Hicks and Long. With his old OC, that is giving him a 2nd chance. That shit clears up REALLY fast.
That's a good point. I don't know what the locker room was like in KC, but ours has to be at the top. Those players you mentioned, and others, along with Nagy, and the winning I think will keep future behavior like that in check.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I come back with Chiefs like Eric Berry, Justin Houston, Eric Fisher. Reid is probably the most unforgiving of all coaches, but realized the dude had to be cut. Again, you can "undergo" counseling, but there has to be proof, time to see if that person is really taking that shit to heart. I have experienced so many people that go thru the motions. It is all about time, not enough time has expired to really judge how this guy is doing or has done.
Funkster
MVP

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/ ... d/afpns2g/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe that when teams actually look into this video and the other incidents, they’re finding out these all were very minor.

I find it rather funny that not one article mentions or headlines the female first hitting Hunt’s girlfriend or Hunt before Hunt reacted. If the cops are called for an assault and nobody goes to jail, good chance nothing really happened. This kid won’t be black balled by the league like Ray Rice and will have teams wanting his services.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

According to ESPN and other sports outlets, teams lining up.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:According to ESPN and other sports outlets, teams lining up.
Do you think that the Bears would have a leg up because of Nagy, and an offense he's familiar with?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

You would think so. Familiarity. Does he look for a "slower" city to be in, Seattle, Green Bay. If the Pats came calling does he ignore them? I doubt that scenario. Belichek seems to look at troubled peeps as well.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Do you think that the Bears would have a leg up because of Nagy, and an offense he's familiar with?
Not only that, but Trubisky and Hunt are from Mentor, Ohio and went to rival High Schools. He also posted this on his IG back in 2017 at the Rookie Premier:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"bigreem_3 @mtrubisky10 Maybe 1 day"

I'd say if the Bears have a leg up on all the competition if that's what it comes down to.
Never Die Easy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/ ... d/afpns2g/

I believe that when teams actually look into this video and the other incidents, they’re finding out these all were very minor.
I largely agree that they were minor. But it's the court of public opinion that matters a lot with the court of Roger Goodell. So does the number of incidents, minor or not.
Funkster wrote:I find it rather funny that not one article mentions or headlines the female first hitting Hunt’s girlfriend or Hunt before Hunt reacted. If the cops are called for an assault and nobody goes to jail, good chance nothing really happened. This kid won’t be black balled by the league like Ray Rice and will have teams wanting his services.
And that female has zero responsibility to the NFL. That needs to be the message to Mr. Hunt.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Not only that, but Trubisky and Hunt are from Mentor, Ohio and went to rival High Schools. He also posted this on his IG back in 2017 at the Rookie Premier:

I'd say if the Bears have a leg up on all the competition if that's what it comes down to.
Really interesting stuff right there.

Question to everyone... What would you set the odds at that Kareem Hunt signs a contract with the Chicago Bears in 2019? 50%? More? Less?

Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

Question to everyone... What would you set the odds at that Kareem Hunt signs a contract with the Chicago Bears in 2019? 50%? More? Less?
When I first saw the video I thought it would be great to get him. I still think that, but reading that teams are lining up for him makes it doubtful he comes here - not because of the incident, but because we can't afford to pay top dollar.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

When I first saw the video I thought it would be great to get him. I still think that, but reading that teams are lining up for him makes it doubtful he comes here - not because of the incident, but because we can't afford to pay top dollar.
That would suck if we miss out because we lack the cap space for him, but such is NFL life.
wab
Mod

Here's my fear. The Bears sign him, he keeps himself in line long enough for the Bears to extend him. The Bears let Howard walk. Hunt does something stupid again and the Bears are now stuck with a suspended player eating up cap space and Tarik Cohen and a Mizzell-level player.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
I would have to think so AND he's a long time friend of our very own Mitchell Trubisky.

Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:Here's my fear. The Bears sign him, he keeps himself in line long enough for the Bears to extend him. The Bears let Howard walk. Hunt does something stupid again and the Bears are now stuck with a suspended player eating up cap space and Tarik Cohen and a Mizzell-level player.

That’s legit but it could also be like when jack n’ the box had their e. coli scare, they were the safest place to eat in the USA years after :D
Bad Flanders
MVP

wab wrote:Here's my fear. The Bears sign him, he keeps himself in line long enough for the Bears to extend him. The Bears let Howard walk. Hunt does something stupid again and the Bears are now stuck with a suspended player eating up cap space and Tarik Cohen and a Mizzell-level player.
I don't see Pace keeping Howard post rookie contract regardless of Hunt. They'll get another back in the draft before they pay Howard the kind of money he will/should get. Unless he just takes a huge pay cut for some reason... but why would he? His RB career is essentially half over right now, he has that one chance to get paid.
G08
Hall of Famer

It's fair(Jesus you sound like me! :lol:) but I do think that Hunt would need to put language in his contract that protects the team from that type of behavior.

I'm glad that other teams are opening up to signing the kid, but man I have to think experience with Nagy and being buddies with Trubisky will give us a leg up on the move. Question is what ownership wants...

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
It's fair(Jesus you sound like me! :lol:) but I do think that Hunt would need to put language in his contract that protects the team from that type of behavior.

I'm glad that other teams are opening up to signing the kid, but man I have to think experience with Nagy and being buddies with Trubisky will give us a leg up on the move. Question is what ownership wants...
From the sounds of it, Nagy has talked to Hunt on a personal level. IMO, that in itself might sway a player to pick one team over another. If it comes down to money chasing, the bears are out.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

What I will find interesting, he was making around $450,000 this year, $465,000 last year as a 3rd rd pick. He gets fired/cut. He will probably make way more than next year than he would have under his Chiefs contract. It will be interesting to see what he makes. someone will throw crazy money at him. I would not offer him more than his original contract called for, unless he would accept some crazy incentives.