Update: Kareem Hunt signs w/ Browns

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:I know a lot of people were opposed with him coming to the Bears but I feel he would have been the sure piece needed to take this offense to the next level. I also thought there was enough personal relationships in Halas hall to persuade him. I guess Dorsey had a better recruitment spiel. Ohh well, on to the next one!
I think the Browns were the quickest to the table with an offer. The other teams that were interested were still doing due diligence. I'm assuming he wanted to get on a team before the rush of the offseason began.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

There is always 2020. This guy was looking for a sure thing and he got it from the Browns. I think the connections to the Bears was overplayed.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:I know a lot of people were opposed with him coming to the Bears but I feel he would have been the sure piece needed to take this offense to the next level. I also thought there was enough personal relationships in Halas hall to persuade him. I guess Dorsey had a better recruitment spiel. Ohh well, on to the next one!
I think the Browns were the quickest to the table with an offer. The other teams that were interested were still doing due diligence. I'm assuming he wanted to get on a team before the rush of the offseason began.

Agreed. Sounds like the contract is a lot lower than I was expecting at a little over a million. As crazy as this sounds he’s set to make more money this season than if he didn’t get cut. Then have another chance at free agency after the season. I was pro Hunt to the bears but realistically the bears are not in a position to have a lot of cap wrapped up in the running back position. I don’t think Pace will be interested in 2020, my bet is he will be looking in the draft.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We have millions upon millions for Sims, Long and Parkey, but we don't have $2M to pay this guy despite his abilities and knowledge of the offense?

We have to draft a RB now.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I don't think the org. was done doing their due diligence. I am glad they just didn't jump in. What does it say he didn't wait for an offer from Nagy? I don't know, but I think most assumed he would be coming here. Bears worried about perception, I don't mind at all.
MoFugger
Head Coach

So?
He is a good running back, he is not a great running back.
This is not Ezekiel Elliott or Melvin Gordon.
I hope hunt does very well with the browns. More so, I hope he does very well in life.
But I refuse to look at this is some kind of missed opportunity. standing here right now, I would have no problem saying that Jordan Howard could be a 1400 yard rusher with this team.
docc
Head Coach

I believe this indicates Bears value Howard and want to use him in a counterpoint to the normal RPO.. Jordan improved his hands..now learn to power with a complementary blocking scheme..
Funkster
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:We have millions upon millions for Sims, Long and Parkey, but we don't have $2M to pay this guy despite his abilities and knowledge of the offense?

We have to draft a RB now.

Unfortunately that’s why the bears don’t have any cap right now. They’re working with about 6 million before cuts and need to do something with Amos and/or Callahan. Hunt would’ve been nice but they also would’ve had to pay up after next season. The best situation is to find a player like Hunt without the price tag.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I believe that his willingness to lie to his team paired with the multiple incidents--however minor--were enough to scare the Bears away. Assuming Biscuit and Nagy and Hunt have relationships as reported, I wholeheartedly believe that Hunt directed his agent to call the Bears before he signed with Cleveland. And we said NO. And I'm not about to criticize them for it.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
docc
Head Coach

Too bad..dam Pace..
At worst he could have been a backup kicker..
wab
Mod

The Bears absolutely do not HAVE to draft a running back. They have two very talented and very complimentary runners. Would it be nice if they had a guy that was a little more of a better all-around 3 down guy...sure. But the Bears are currently in a position where they might be looking to replace their 3rd back.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:The Bears absolutely do not HAVE to draft a running back. They have two very talented and very complimentary runners. Would it be nice if they had a guy that was a little more of a better all-around 3 down guy...sure. But the Bears are currently in a position where they might be looking to replace their 3rd back.
I think the lack of a running game plus Howard's inability to be a quality 3 down back hampered this offense and Mitch Trubisky. I'm on the other side of the fence, my friend: we absolutely need to upgrade our RB position be it in the draft or FA.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:The Bears absolutely do not HAVE to draft a running back. They have two very talented and very complimentary runners. Would it be nice if they had a guy that was a little more of a better all-around 3 down guy...sure. But the Bears are currently in a position where they might be looking to replace their 3rd back.
I agree 100 percent with this. As the year went on it got better as they changed up the scheme.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I was hoping for Hunt and dreading the risk simultaneously, so now I can retreat from fantasy land and focus on the team with normal options available.

Any thoughts from you guys on the Bears signing Tye Montgomery or Spencer Ware? Either should be very cap friendly, and both would be an upgrade on Mizzell. TM always seems to play his best ball in Chicago... :wink:
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Spencer Ware maybe, Ty, no way in heck.
wab
Mod

Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
7m7 minutes ago
More
NFL: #Browns RB Kareem Hunt is suspended 8 games for violations to the personal conduct policy.