Update: Bears sign SS HaHa Clinton-Dix to 1yr, $3.5M deal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Per Rappaport

This is interesting: Source says the #Bears are hosting #Redskins FA S HaHa Clinton-Dix tonight and tomorrow. The Skins have tried to re-sign him, but no deal yet...
dplank
Hall of Famer

Right now our only step backwards is at SS. Dix would be an outstanding get to replace Amos, quite possibly an upgrade. Amos benefitted big time from our front 7, we'll see how he does in GB.

I kinda want to see Berry in here on a 2 year deal though, so it expires before we have to pay both EJax and Trubisky.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not sure it is an upgrade. I mean the Pack got rid of him for a 4th rd pick last year. If the Skins had not resigned him prior to FA, maybe he is not as good as people think.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I certainly don't think he's an upgrade at SS. He may be equivalent. The more important question would be, is he a better fit with EJax than Amos was? I think that HHCD is more athletic than Amos, but that's just from memory. He may also be a little more of a ball hawk. He is certainly more durable.

I dunno...maybe he is an upgrade... :-|
Buffaloaf
Rookie

The only part I don't like about this is that it says he is likely seeking 4/42. That's more than what we offered Amos by quite a bit. Hopefully those numbers are baseless speculation.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Real talk. Ha-Ha would be great here. Puke can’t give a safety hella money after Rodgers’ deal, and Skins will obviously figure out their QB situation before paying a safety. Honestly I’d take Ha-Ha over Amos or Callahan.
GSH
MVP

didnt watch him last year, but i hated him on the packers and he always seemed to have cutlers number.

i think if we get him it will be on an overpay, but could do alot worse.

going to be weird seeing amos in green and yellow for sure.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I trust the Bears brass over these decisions....

How weird does this feel?

Whatever Pace and Nags decide to do with this team, I'm comfortable with.

Geese it feels weird....
cblaz11
MVP

I’d be upset if we pay him what we Amos wanted. That said, I like Haha, he’s not the in the box guy that Amos was but he would allow us to flip our safety coverages because of his ability to play the center field role.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Of the safety's left he would be one of the better ones we could grab, and young still. He isn't great, but we was not on as good a defense yet. He seems to have had the best games of his career so far at Soldier Field, annoying thus far, but perhaps that would be a good omen in signing him? LOL. I think he might be a good fit for Pagano's scheme as he is rangy and could be used to do some creative blitzes and create confusion with Jackson because of their combined mobility.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I wanted the Bears to draft him out of college so would not be disappointed to see him in Chicago years later

he killed the Bears a few times while a member of the Packers, and that sucked

he was ok with the Redskins last year, but not great but that might have had a lot to do with the overall suck of the franchise

if the $$$ can be worked out I'd certainly welcome him to the team
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Ha Ha is different than Amos, not better. He is more of a ball hawk guy who isn't the best tackler. That second part was why the Pack let him go. If we needed a FS, he'd be very desirable. And while it would be super interesting to have 2 guys who can go get the ball back there--especially with the pressure our front 7 can create--having 2 safeties who aren't hitters or above average tacklers leaves us with too much of the same weakness in the back end of our defense. Who's going to be afraid to go get the ball over the middle against us?

Kinda like if neither you nor your spouse are good at handling $$$, that's a bad deal, no matter what your strengths are. Complimentary strengths and weaknesses have value. Jackson and Amos were a good example of that.

I'm not saying Ha Ha would be an awful get. But for that kind of bread, I'd rather have spent it on Amos.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

The only benefit I could see of Clinton-Dix joining the Bears is reuniting him with Eddie Jackson and seeing if those two can make each other better. Otherwise he's just a guy.
wab
Mod

I like his nose for the ball, but he's not a sure tackler. Jackson isn't either, so I don't know how I feel about having two C+ tacklers back there.

But he has corner experience/skills, which is something Pace seems to value in his safeties (every safety he's drafted has played corner at some point - DHC, Jackson, Amos, Hall all played corner at some point).
sturf
Journeyman

I don't know about Dix, but it wouldn't surprise me that they are looking for another safety with centerfield range. Even last season it seemed like in passing situations they were playing Amos as the single high safety quite a bit so that they could Jackson into coverage. Plus it is injury insurance if Jackson gets hurt like last season.
Bad Flanders
MVP

All what you guys said, probably not worth it unless his price is just super deflated because of the market... be a shame for him to get the same or more in Chi than Amos wanted.

That said - how great would it be to switch safeties with the pack and have HaHa put up Amos #'s in Chi while Amos puts up lower #'s in GB?!?!? LOL
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

It's definitely a cost thing here. Dix is a good player. Bush has never been the guy. Last year in spot duty he didn't look as bad as previous years. I don't think it's smart tp rely on him.
IotaNet
MVP

UOK wrote:The only benefit I could see of Clinton-Dix joining the Bears is reuniting him with Eddie Jackson and seeing if those two can make each other better. Otherwise he's just a guy.
This is kinda my take. Not particularly excited about it.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:It's definitely a cost thing here. Dix is a good player. Bush has never been the guy. Last year in spot duty he didn't look as bad as previous years. I don't think it's smart tp rely on him.
I think they need to at least see what they have in him before throwing out big FA money to someone. If Bush is the Bears 11th best defensive starter, that's not something to worry much about.
UOK
Site Admin

@RapSheet
The #Bears are signing S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to a 1-year deal, sources tell me and @MikeGarafolo. Formerly of the #Redskins and #Packers, he gets a new home in Chicago.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I am very much ok with this :thumbsup:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

A 1 year is good with me, I hope he is drafting a SS this year then.
wab
Mod

I like it. It lets Bush play more nickle package stuff.
UOK
Site Admin

@MikeGarafolo
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix gets $3.5 million on his one-year deal from the #Bears, source says. He had more on the table elsewhere but it sounds like he wanted to join that Chicago defense and be reunited with his Alabama teammate Eddie Jackson.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:@MikeGarafolo
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix gets $3.5 million on his one-year deal from the #Bears, source says. He had more on the table elsewhere but it sounds like he wanted to join that Chicago defense and be reunited with his Alabama teammate Eddie Jackson.
Oh wow. When is the last time a FA actually took less money specifically because he wanted to play for the Bears. I don't even know what this feels like right now.
sturf
Journeyman

I'm guessing that HaHa wanted to play with Eddie Jackson, but especially wanted to make sure he played the Packers twice this season.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:
Oh wow. When is the last time a FA actually took less money specifically because he wanted to play for the Bears. I don't even know what this feels like right now.
Won me over bigtime when I read that.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:
Won me over bigtime when I read that.
Ditto!

Fuck me! One year for $3.5M is a STEAL. We now have two interchangeable players at S, which is going to be SOOO MUCCCHH FUNNNN to watch Pagano utilize to his advantage in fucking with offenses.

This is great. His tackling needs improvement and all that but this is great news in my football world.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Sure he wanted to play here. He may have took less initially, but I'd be has a good season next year his value is more. This defense could easily do that for him.

Glad to have him. This defense has so much talent.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I admit, I like this move, especially on a one-year, prove-it deal.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: