Update: Foles intends to sign with Jaguars

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Nick Foles makes $2 million buyout payment to Eagles
PHILADELPHIA -- Nick Foles was quick to void his 2019 option year with the Philadelphia Eagles and is wasting no time ponying up $2 million as part of that buyout.

According to a source, the payment was being taken care of Wednesday, one day after Foles opted out.

The Eagles officially notified Foles that they were exercising the $20 million option in his contract Tuesday evening. Within minutes, Foles informed the team that he was voiding the option, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

According to the language in the contract, Foles had to pay $2 million to the Eagles via cashier's check by Feb. 16 -- the 25th day prior to the start of the new league year. But it already has been taken care of.

The $2 million from Foles will offer the Eagles cap relief in the form of salary credited or refunded in 2019.

The team still has the option of placing the franchise tag on Foles and intends to do so in an effort to then try to trade him, sources on other NFL teams who have been in touch with Philadelphia told Schefter.

so Foles will either be a free agent or have a high $$$ franchise tag that may actually be too high for the Eagles to trade him

* EDIT - to change thread title
Last edited by Boris13c on Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

It’s weird. They franchise him but it’s to work out a sign and trade deal.

I think if Foles actually signs the tag he can only play for the eagles.

What will they get? A third?
wab
Mod

Everyone is speculating that he goes to Jacksonville because of the DeFillipo connection. Makes sense I suppose with them moving on from Bortles.

There aren't a lot of starting jobs open, so the Eagles may find it's a tough market. Miami, Jacksonville, Washington, maybe Cincinnati...

Jacksonville is probably the best fit.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:Everyone is speculating that he goes to Jacksonville because of the DeFillipo connection. Makes sense I suppose with them moving on from Bortles.

There aren't a lot of starting jobs open, so the Eagles may find it's a tough market. Miami, Jacksonville, Washington, maybe Cincinnati...

Jacksonville is probably the best fit.
Foles would also be a major upgrade in Denver.
Plus there's the small chance that one of these guys retires: Brady, Rivers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Manning.
Who knows what's going on in the mind of Chucky in Oakland in reference to Carr, and I don't believe that Rosen in Arizona is enough to not go after Foles if the option presents itself.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

It's a bad QB market overall anyway.

Nick Foles hasn't played well outside of the Eagles and has really only played well in spot duty.
Teddy Bridgewater hasn't played in what...3 years?
Tyrod Taylor will be on his 3rd team in three years and is rarely healthy.

Those are the top FA QBs. Maybe you take a swing on a guy like Brett Hundley?

After those guys, you have Ryan Tannehill and Blake Bortles...both guys that will be released. Maybe Andy Dalton.

The draft kinda sucks too.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Look. I remember when Foles was playing for the St. Louis Rams, and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He is an average QB that found an offensive scheme to fit his skillset. I don't expect that Nick Foles is going to lead another team, for an entire season, to a Super Bowl victory.
wab
Mod

Yeah. He's going to Mike Glennon someone.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

With Flacco having a trade agreement in place and looking at potential landing spots for Foles Jacksonville makes the most sense. I doubt the eagles want him going to the giants or redskins.

Where else would you look to unload him?

Also will Oakland trade Carr? I would bet the giants and redskins along with Jacksonville would look at carr as a much longer term solution. I just don’t see a lot of trade market for Foles maybe Oakland actually to serve as a 1 year bridge guy for whomever they draft if they unload Carr.
wab
Mod

southdakbearfan wrote:With Flacco having a trade agreement in place and looking at potential landing spots for Foles Jacksonville makes the most sense. I doubt the eagles want him going to the giants or redskins.

Where else would you look to unload him?

Also will Oakland trade Carr? I would bet the giants and redskins along with Jacksonville would look at carr as a much longer term solution. I just don’t see a lot of trade market for Foles maybe Oakland actually to serve as a 1 year bridge guy for whomever they draft if they unload Carr.
I've thought since mid-season that Carr to Jacksonville is a smart play. But his salary is fully guaranteed, so that's kind of a sticking point.

Also, if the Eagles try to tag and trade Foles, he's going to make life miserable for them.
docc
Head Coach

wab wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:
Also, if the Eagles try to tag and trade Foles, he's going to make life miserable for them.
Good !
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Eagles won't put franchise tag on Foles
The Philadelphia Eagles will not place the franchise tag on quarterback Nick Foles, general manager Howie Roseman said Wednesday.

"We're going to let Nick Foles be a free agent," Roseman said at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. "He deserves an opportunity to lead a team."

Foles' primary objective this offseason was to find a team he could call his own after two noteworthy seasons -- and one Super Bowl MVP trophy -- as Carson Wentz's backup.

Foles opted out of his contract with the Eagles by paying them back $2 million in February.

"I would love to lead a team," Foles said at the close of the 2018 season. "The starter thing, leading a team, impacting a locker room ... that's why we play the game, to impact people, to create an atmosphere."

Roseman noted that the combine is the NFL's version of the baseball winter meetings, where teams have the opportunity to talk about potential trades. The organization was entertaining the idea of placing the tag on Foles to facilitate a trade, but this decision signals that the team was unable to find a deal that worked.

By letting him walk, the Eagles are expected to receive a compensatory pick as high as a third-rounder in 2020.
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:Eagles won't put franchise tag on Foles
The Philadelphia Eagles will not place the franchise tag on quarterback Nick Foles, general manager Howie Roseman said Wednesday.

"We're going to let Nick Foles be a free agent," Roseman said at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. "He deserves an opportunity to lead a team."

Foles' primary objective this offseason was to find a team he could call his own after two noteworthy seasons -- and one Super Bowl MVP trophy -- as Carson Wentz's backup.

Foles opted out of his contract with the Eagles by paying them back $2 million in February.

"I would love to lead a team," Foles said at the close of the 2018 season. "The starter thing, leading a team, impacting a locker room ... that's why we play the game, to impact people, to create an atmosphere."

Roseman noted that the combine is the NFL's version of the baseball winter meetings, where teams have the opportunity to talk about potential trades. The organization was entertaining the idea of placing the tag on Foles to facilitate a trade, but this decision signals that the team was unable to find a deal that worked.

By letting him walk, the Eagles are expected to receive a compensatory pick as high as a third-rounder in 2020.
I love how the Eagles are trying to come across all magnanimous about it, like they had a choice. If they would have tagged him, he would have immediately signed it and they would have gone to being 23 million over the cap instantly.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:Eagles won't put franchise tag on Foles

I love how the Eagles are trying to come across all magnanimous about it, like they had a choice. If they would have tagged him, he would have immediately signed it and they would have gone to being 23 million over the cap instantly.
This right here.
UOK
Site Admin

Not official but:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nick ... gency/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not too big of a surprise there. I can see him being avg at best there.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Foles to Jags for $88M, $50M guaranteed

that's a helluva payday

he's definitely an improvement over Bortles, but this contract is like the one the Vikings threw at Kirk Cousins - over payment at a high end for less than high end abilities
George Carlin