Free Agent Target - OLB, Shane Ray

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Why not? Market is low on him. We need depth at the position. He was buried behind Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, and Bradley Chubb the last four years. Fresh start. One year deal with second year team option?
https://youtu.be/MMAVDJndWzo
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Maybe but he isn’t all that exciting. If cheap a possible Lynch replacement.
cblaz11
MVP

I think I’d rather see Isaiah Irving get the snaps
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

One of the things that drove me nuts last year was that with Mack on the opposite side, pressure from up the middle with Hicks and then a blitzing ILB like Roquan from time to time was that we never had The Leonard Floyd Game or games where he just teed off. Although he did have a great game when we played GB in Chicago.

Any sort of upgrade we can do on the side opposite Mack would be transformative for the defense. In Shane Ray's case its a matter of whether or not he can stay healthy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... elog/2018/
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:One of the things that drove me nuts last year was that with Mack on the opposite side, pressure from up the middle with Hicks and then a blitzing ILB like Roquan from time to time was that we never had The Leonard Floyd Game or games where he just teed off. Although he did have a great game when we played GB in Chicago.

Any sort of upgrade we can do on the side opposite Mack would be transformative for the defense. In Shane Ray's case its a matter of whether or not he can stay healthy.

That would be why I would be willing to bet that if Floyd won't sign a real reasonable extension that he is gone in the offseason. His performance just won't warrant what a 5th year option will cost.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:One of the things that drove me nuts last year was that with Mack on the opposite side, pressure from up the middle with Hicks and then a blitzing ILB like Roquan from time to time was that we never had The Leonard Floyd Game or games where he just teed off. Although he did have a great game when we played GB in Chicago.

That would be why I would be willing to bet that if Floyd won't sign a real reasonable extension that he is gone in the offseason. His performance just won't warrant what a 5th year option will cost.
I think Floyd can be replaced via the draft or in free agency next year. I don't think he's lived up to the first round pick potential.

If healthy, Shane Ray can get 10 sacks in this defense and that would make all the difference in the world.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

To be fair to Floyd, he was used more in coverage. I'm curious how he will be used in a more aggressive approach.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I'm not ready to give up on Floyd yet. I still think he can be Robin to Mack's Batman.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

bearsfaninaz wrote:To be fair to Floyd, he was used more in coverage. I'm curious how he will be used in a more aggressive approach.
Anyone got the splits on rushing the passer vs dropping in coverage for both Floyd and Mack?

Mack drove me nuts just because it is flat out stupid to drop a guy into coverage that needs to be double covered on the line every play. I know the first GB game mack dropped like 18 times and Floyd 16 times.

Floyd just is good, not great at this point, and that's fine as long as he doesn't expect to be paid like he is great. He flashes but just not consistent to this point and is dinged a lot.
G08
Hall of Famer

I remember watching a lot of him when he was eligible for the draft and recall him being stiff as a board.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

BR0D1E86
MVP

Relevant to OLB talk from Aaron Lemming...
Veteran options like Nick Perry, Derrick Morgan or even Shane Ray could be cheaper options as well. Perry was cut, so he would not count against the team’s current comp pick formula that is currently projected to yield a fourth and fifth round picks.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I also heard Ryan Pace say that RRH was also a possible option to play OLB this year too. Thought that was interesting.
Never Die Easy
BR0D1E86
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:I also heard Ryan Pace say that RRH was also a possible option to play OLB this year too. Thought that was interesting.
Yeah, I didn’t realize he’d been drafted as a linebacker. He’s bulked up a lot though, and he’s been pretty darned good on the line. Not sure how I feel about that.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:I also heard Ryan Pace say that RRH was also a possible option to play OLB this year too. Thought that was interesting.
Damn. He's enormous for an OLB. Is he fast enough for it? At 6'7" that's some serious size. Pagano must have something in mind.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... beRo00.htm
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Damn. He's enormous for an OLB. Is he fast enough for it? At 6'7" that's some serious size. Pagano must have something in mind.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... beRo00.htm
Just nickname him the "ERASER" and turn the beast loose.
sturf
Journeyman

Pace didn't talk about RRH as an OLB. He mentioned that they can use him as part of the outside pass rush. Meaning RRH can play outside DE in sub packages, which happened last year. He was making the point they have flexibility so they could give snaps that Lynch played last season to RRH if they wanted. Even last year Fangio had a package where he kept 3 DL on the field with 5 DB's.
wab
Mod

I don’t want any part of a guy that Elway drafted.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

As much as I'd love for Floyd to be the bookend to Mack and generally like the guy, I just don't get why you'd pay a guy like that the 5th year option. He's been knocking at the door of being effective in his first 2 years. But not quite getting over the hump. He seemed to regress with his pass rush this last year, although clearly the broken hand was an issue for some weeks. But that's the other thing... He's hurt every year. If that's a problem with Callahan, why is it not a problem with Floyd? It really seems like the book is out on Floyd. Get your hands on him and he struggles to get away.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I don’t want any part of a guy that Elway drafted.
A blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while, can't he? :-P
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:As much as I'd love for Floyd to be the bookend to Mack and generally like the guy, I just don't get why you'd pay a guy like that the 5th year option. He's been knocking at the door of being effective in his first 2 years. But not quite getting over the hump. He seemed to regress with his pass rush this last year, although clearly the broken hand was an issue for some weeks. But that's the other thing... He's hurt every year. If that's a problem with Callahan, why is it not a problem with Floyd? It really seems like the book is out on Floyd. Get your hands on him and he struggles to get away.
Has there been anything Bears related that's happened since the missed kick that you don't generally dislike?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:If that's a problem with Callahan, why is it not a problem with Floyd? It really seems like the book is out on Floyd. Get your hands on him and he struggles to get away.
Right now, the reason it's nor a problem with Floyd is that he's still under contract, while Callahan wasn't.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:
Mikefive wrote:If that's a problem with Callahan, why is it not a problem with Floyd? It really seems like the book is out on Floyd. Get your hands on him and he struggles to get away.
Right now, the reason it's nor a problem with Floyd is that he's still under contract, while Callahan wasn't.
Pace said he was picking up Floyd's 5th year option, which is effectively a contract extension.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:
Pace said he was picking up Floyd's 5th year option, which is effectively a contract extension.
Which keeps him under contract at a predetermined dollar amount, as opposed to being a free agent subject to what the other 31 teams might pay him.

Picking up the fifth year option gives cost certainly for that contract year.
KFFL refugee.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Really BIG cost. $14-15M?

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Probably $13.5M or so fully guaranteed (well, fully guaranteed vs. injury, anyway). And yes, that's a good chunk of change.

It's also a single-year guarantee that costs zip on subsequent cap years.
And it's also roughly 75-80% of what he'd make on the open market.
KFFL refugee.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

They can get out of the 5th year option as long as Floyd isn’t injured. They can release him prior to the league year starting.

And I think you are strongly overestimating what Floyd will get on the open market. He hasn’t produced a lot and or consistently with freaking studs next to him.
wab
Mod

southdakbearfan wrote:They can get out of the 5th year option as long as Floyd isn’t injured. They can release him prior to the league year starting.

And I think you are strongly overestimating what Floyd will get on the open market. He hasn’t produced a lot and or consistently with freaking studs next to him.
I think people are forgetting what Floys has typically been asked to do in this defense when judging his production.

He wasn't my favorite Bears draft pick, but hes not some bum like people are suddenly pretending he is.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:They can get out of the 5th year option as long as Floyd isn’t injured. They can release him prior to the league year starting.

I think people are forgetting what Floys has typically been asked to do in this defense when judging his production.

He wasn't my favorite Bears draft pick, but hes not some bum like people are suddenly pretending he is.
From what I could find statistically speaking. He only drops into coverage slightly more than Mack last year. Which Mack dropping into coverage bothered me.