Update: S Adrian Amos signs 4yr, $37M deal w/ Packers

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Landon Collins was in the running for defensive player of the year in 2016 (I think he finished 2nd to Mack). Amos has never sniffed that...his biggest accolade was a high arbitrary PFF rating in 2017.

I like Amos a lot. He's a good, reliable safety. But he's not elite.
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:Landon Collins was in the running for defensive player of the year in 2016 (I think he finished 2nd to Mack). Amos has never sniffed that...his biggest accolade was a high arbitrary PFF rating in 2017.

I like Amos a lot. He's a good, reliable safety. But he's not elite.
That’s where I’m at with him. I’d have been very happy to bring him back. But he’s unequivocally not an elite safety.

And as of a few days ago the math had us in line for a 4th round comp pick for Amos. I don’t believe we’ve signed anyone since then so it should not have changed.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Amos is quality, a reliable guy at safety. When he won his job, the Bears hadn't had one of those in some time.

Amos is not a playmaker, however. He fills his role capably, but no one is going to game plan around him.

I wish him success 14/16 games every season.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
malk
Head Coach

I think what we might underestimate with Amos is how his ability allows other players to do their thing. Having confidence that he'll clean up your overreaches means that the rest of the roster can be a little bit more ambitious. If he can be that player with an interception or two and the 9 passes defended he had last year then that's an elite strong safety.

Now I don't think that any strong safety is worth that money so I'm not unhappy he's gone if that's what it would have taken to keep him but that's a different question.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)