View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:22 pm 
Head Coach

I will say Amos based mainly off the fact that he is available the majority of the time. Callahan seems to be an injury waiting to happen. McManis played well behind that front 7 the Bears have. I am not saying start McManis, but I think it is evident that many could be capable behind what the Bears have upfront.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:33 pm 
Mod

I'll take the guy that's started all but 4 games in his career over the guy that hasn't finished a complete season in the same time span.

Someone is going to pay Callahan like a starter, and I'd prefer it to not be the Bears.

This isn't a slight on Callahan, but I don't know why everyone forgets that the Bears have been looking for consistency at the safety position for a decade but have had success with like 5 undrafted slot corners.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:04 pm 
Practice Squad

The Nickel is a starting position argument makes sense if you are comparing it to a rotation DL position that gets listed in the starting lineup. It doesn't make sense when comparing the position in free agency to the other defensive back positions that play every snap of the game if not injured. As will the team's ILB in most games.

Amos you are paying to be on the field 100% of the time. Callahan is being paid to be on the field 55-60% of the time, and he has never come close to that for a season because of injuries. Undrafted and late round picks become effective nickel backs far more often than even strong safeties.

I believe in letting them both test the market and hope maybe one comes back at a decent price. NB, SS, and the 3rd starting DL are the defensive positions that I don't think the Bears can spend money at going forward. If I had to choose between Amos or Callahan, I would pay Amos because he's actually on the field all the time both from a position and injury standpoint.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:28 pm 
Hall of Famer

Boils down to the $$$ for me... but I think it's harder to find a quality slot corner/nickel than it is a strong safety.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:35 pm 
MVP

G08 wrote:
Boils down to the $$$ for me... but I think it's harder to find a quality slot corner/nickel than it is a strong safety.

Couldn’t agree more!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:36 pm 
Journeyman

Amos might not get as much as you think, this is a weird year and there is a lot of free agent safety talent available. Landon Collins, Earl Thomas, Haha Clinton-Dix, Honey badger and LaMarcus Joyner are all as good as Amos. Amos is not even in the top 10 tacklers of the FA safeties this year!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:01 pm 
Crafty Veteran

I would like to keep Callahan but his durability is a real concern. I wouldn't pay him big money. I'd also love to keep Amos but I don't think he's going to come cheap either. Out of the two, it appears Callahan will be the cheaper alternative in terms of the cap, so I'll go with him. I also believe Nickel corner has more positional value in today's NFL over SS.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:01 pm 
Head Coach

Can't understand why Amos gets so little love? Having someone as solid as him allows players around him to take more chances. Now if the team thinks Bush can replace him, and he's looked promising, then I'll be sad to see Amos go but will understand... except that Bush is only contracted through 2019.

If we had time to groom a safety then I'd trust Pace to draft one but our window is now. I also trust Pace a lot less in free agency so that makes me hope for Amos even more.

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:22 am 
MVP

Between the two, I'd take whoever was willing to stay for less. Theoretically that would be the safety position but between Cal's injury history and Amos's name, rep, and stats... they are probably close right?

I get the feeling that someone will open the big checkbook for Cal in the hopes he can stay healthy and on the field. There just aren't a lot of options at CB in FA right now.

And I get the feeling safeties will be undervalued this off-season - there are a lot out there; Collins, Amos, Dix, Thomas, Joyner and a pretty large group of second tier guys too... a guy like Geathers could be a fit in Chi as he wouldn't have to be as strong in coverage with Jackson on the other side.

Amos won't get what he should, he's still young enough though, he could stay on with Bears for a shorter term deal, build up even more stats and reputation, and cash in for more later. But if someone opened the big check book for him right now, I don't think they'd be over-reaching and he should certainly take it.

All of that means Amos won't get what he probably could in other years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:32 am 
Player of the Month

I’d pay Amos 6-8 million per year...

I wouldn’t pay Callahan more then 3...the guy is a good player, but he can’t stay healthy. Also, it’s a lot easier to find talent at nickle for cheap then safety.

Amos is a very sure tackler, he’s rarely out of position, and he’s someone who can flip from an in the box safety to center field(granted, he’s not a true center fielder, but he can and has done it). There are a lot of strong safeties who cannot do that. Based on all he has done, along with our past struggles with the position, keeping him over Callahan is a no brainer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next