View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:39 am 
Mod

G08 wrote:
Boils down to the $$$ for me... but I think it's harder to find a quality slot corner/nickel than it is a strong safety.

Except the Bears have had no problem finding slot corners.

Demontre Hurst, Crevon LeBlanc, Sherrick McManis, Bryce Callahan, and Jacoby Glenn all have levels of success in the slot in the Bears system.

Callahan was clearly the best of the bunch, but I would argue that there isn't much drop-off between these guys.

Amos is always on the field, always in position, and always available. Callahan is only one of those things.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:17 pm 
MVP

I mean... if there was ANY argument for the Bears to pay Callahan it would probably be that list you just put up wab...

Pace just doesn't draft CB's... I think Hall was listed as a CB in the combine, but other than that, Pace has only brought in FA's (and undrafted FAs). And I'd argue that Callahan was the only real diamond in the rough there, maybe LeBlanc I guess but I don't know. Prince A has been great and I guess better than what I thought we'd get out of a journeyman guy like that, but he was a big name coming out of college and it's not like it's a shock he can play.

On the other hand, Pace definitely drafts safety pretty damn well considering Amos and Jackson have been about the best tandem in the league from the first day they were on the field together and they are both his.

I'm not saying I really think that it will be a big issue, it's not that Pace has swings and misses, he's barely swung at all and they've all been pretty long shots and in that respect I agree with you, he's actually had pretty okay success. And I've become a Pace believer, I think the guy can spot talent just about anywhere and can't imagine he can't find it at corner.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:57 pm 
MVP

wab wrote:
I'll take the guy that's started all but 4 games in his career over the guy that hasn't finished a complete season in the same time span.

Someone is going to pay Callahan like a starter, and I'd prefer it to not be the Bears.

This isn't a slight on Callahan, but I don't know why everyone forgets that the Bears have been looking for consistency at the safety position for a decade but have had success with like 5 undrafted slot corners.

Exactly.

We're talking about a slot corner. If I had to choose between having arguably the best safety combo in the NFL or keep my slot corner, put me down for having the best safety combo in football. We can draft a slot corner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:02 am 
MVP

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... drian-amos

Amos may be pulling ahead in a crowded field

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:56 am 
Pro Bowler

Callahan. There are plenty of good safety choices available

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:13 am 
Site Admin

@thekapman
Great stuff on how Eric Weddle ended up signing with the Rams. @mmqb says the Bears "were chomping at the bit" to have him in Halas Hall first. His price tag was 5 million plus incentives. Sounds like Adrian Amos was not the Bears first choice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Brad Biggs:

Don't know where but sounds like Adrian Amos has a deal with a team and he will not be returning to the #Bears, That's what multiple sources have said. We'll see how it pans out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:24 pm 
Head Coach

All players want to stay until a better offer comes along.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:24 pm 
Head Coach

I am fine with Bush starting and possibly a solid vet backup, which is what I think we might be looking at if Amos goes. The safety market has exploded a lot dollars wise, considering the depth there, but their are some others that are ok.

I think our DB's do benefit greatly by the amount of pressure the defense can apply which makes their stats look much better and creates a lot of errant throws or mistakes.

Jackson and Fuller are the two that can't be allowed to leave, the others I think are very replaceable so I don't want a deal that will hinder resigning Jackson in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:21 am 
Hall of Famer

Report: Packers 'in the mix' for Bears S Adrian Amos

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers are one of the teams “in the mix” for Chicago Bears free-agent safety Adrian Amos, according to Bill Huber of Packer Report.

Amos, a 50-game starter for the Bears over the last four seasons, is one of the best safeties left on the market after a flurry of activity at the position to start the legal tampering period Monday.

Landon Collins, Tyrann Mathieu, Kenny Vaccaro and Lamarcus Joyner all agreed to new deals.

The Packers desperately need veteran help at the position, and signing Amos would have the added benefit of weakening a division rival.

this would suck if he goes to Goon Bay

BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next