Update: S Adrian Amos signs 4yr, $37M deal w/ Packers

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Boils down to the $$$ for me... but I think it's harder to find a quality slot corner/nickel than it is a strong safety.
Except the Bears have had no problem finding slot corners.

Demontre Hurst, Crevon LeBlanc, Sherrick McManis, Bryce Callahan, and Jacoby Glenn all have levels of success in the slot in the Bears system.

Callahan was clearly the best of the bunch, but I would argue that there isn't much drop-off between these guys.

Amos is always on the field, always in position, and always available. Callahan is only one of those things.
Bad Flanders
MVP

I mean... if there was ANY argument for the Bears to pay Callahan it would probably be that list you just put up wab...

Pace just doesn't draft CB's... I think Hall was listed as a CB in the combine, but other than that, Pace has only brought in FA's (and undrafted FAs). And I'd argue that Callahan was the only real diamond in the rough there, maybe LeBlanc I guess but I don't know. Prince A has been great and I guess better than what I thought we'd get out of a journeyman guy like that, but he was a big name coming out of college and it's not like it's a shock he can play.

On the other hand, Pace definitely drafts safety pretty damn well considering Amos and Jackson have been about the best tandem in the league from the first day they were on the field together and they are both his.

I'm not saying I really think that it will be a big issue, it's not that Pace has swings and misses, he's barely swung at all and they've all been pretty long shots and in that respect I agree with you, he's actually had pretty okay success. And I've become a Pace believer, I think the guy can spot talent just about anywhere and can't imagine he can't find it at corner.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'll take the guy that's started all but 4 games in his career over the guy that hasn't finished a complete season in the same time span.

Someone is going to pay Callahan like a starter, and I'd prefer it to not be the Bears.

This isn't a slight on Callahan, but I don't know why everyone forgets that the Bears have been looking for consistency at the safety position for a decade but have had success with like 5 undrafted slot corners.
Exactly.

We're talking about a slot corner. If I had to choose between having arguably the best safety combo in the NFL or keep my slot corner, put me down for having the best safety combo in football. We can draft a slot corner.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... drian-amos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amos may be pulling ahead in a crowded field
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Umbali
MVP

Callahan. There are plenty of good safety choices available
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
UOK
Site Admin

@thekapman
Great stuff on how Eric Weddle ended up signing with the Rams. @mmqb says the Bears "were chomping at the bit" to have him in Halas Hall first. His price tag was 5 million plus incentives. Sounds like Adrian Amos was not the Bears first choice.
UOK
Site Admin

Brad Biggs:

Don't know where but sounds like Adrian Amos has a deal with a team and he will not be returning to the #Bears, That's what multiple sources have said. We'll see how it pans out.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

All players want to stay until a better offer comes along.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I am fine with Bush starting and possibly a solid vet backup, which is what I think we might be looking at if Amos goes. The safety market has exploded a lot dollars wise, considering the depth there, but their are some others that are ok.

I think our DB's do benefit greatly by the amount of pressure the defense can apply which makes their stats look much better and creates a lot of errant throws or mistakes.

Jackson and Fuller are the two that can't be allowed to leave, the others I think are very replaceable so I don't want a deal that will hinder resigning Jackson in the future.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Report: Packers 'in the mix' for Bears S Adrian Amos
The Green Bay Packers are one of the teams “in the mix” for Chicago Bears free-agent safety Adrian Amos, according to Bill Huber of Packer Report.

Amos, a 50-game starter for the Bears over the last four seasons, is one of the best safeties left on the market after a flurry of activity at the position to start the legal tampering period Monday.

Landon Collins, Tyrann Mathieu, Kenny Vaccaro and Lamarcus Joyner all agreed to new deals.

The Packers desperately need veteran help at the position, and signing Amos would have the added benefit of weakening a division rival.

this would suck if he goes to Goon Bay
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

He's officially going to the Packers.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

UOK wrote:He's officially going to the Packers.
always a kick in the nutts when a guys goes to a division rival
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bad Flanders
MVP

Pffftttt....

I was all ready to be gracious about his exit and wish him luck but this changed things.

The only good I hope for him now is that they overpaid! Maybe we'll take HaHa and put him at the top of pff's safety list now!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Good. Let him go. More money for other needs. This isn't like OMG the Packers just got over the top now. All they needed was a safety.

Draft a replacement or promote Bush.

I'm focused on....FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS!
Last edited by The Marshall Plan on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

GODDAMMIT

well, Ha-Ha Clinto Dix is a FA ... so maybe we sign the ex-Packer that abused the Bears? he is said to be reasonably priced
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Dang
wab
Mod

That’s disappointing, even more so if the contract was reasonable.
Umbali
MVP

I would have liked to keep both Amos and Callahan at a reasonable price. That didnt seem to be in the cards, but they certainly arent irreplaceable. They were a small piece of the defensive puzzle and we will be all right.
UOK
Site Admin

I think Amos is a good safety, but not great certainly. One of those reliable guys who's solid against the run and if he has a lot of pass rush help can get the odd interception.

Not a game changer, and not a defensive centerpiece. I wish him luck, I guess, but I hope that Packers fans have some idea of what they're getting.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Agree UOK. Don't feel too bad about this. He was in for a payday and probably got offered more by the Pack. Signing early says he couldn't pass up the deal. Makes me wish the Bears scorch his ass now when they play the Pack.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Fuck him. He’s (literally) not even that good.

(admin edit: Let's leave it at this)
UOK
Site Admin

@AdamSchefter
Packers are giving former Bears’ safety Adrian Amos a 4-year, $37 million deal that includes $14 million in year one and $21 million in first two years of deal, per source.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Glad Bears whiffed on him. That cash seems a little out of line IMO. $10.5 mil a season for 2 yrs.
Umbali
MVP

So doesnt that mean we likely get a 3rd or 4th compensatory pick for him next year?
UOK
Site Admin

Umbali wrote:So doesnt that mean we likely get a 3rd or 4th compensatory pick for him next year?
I don't think Amos was ever tendered, so no.
wab
Mod

That’s more than I thought he’d get. I like Amos, and I’m glad he got paid. But I hope his new team goes 0-16.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Umbali wrote:So doesnt that mean we likely get a 3rd or 4th compensatory pick for him next year?
WHAAAT??? :mad: Can you please explain further?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:
UOK wrote:
Wait, I'm probably wrong....

I'm guessing this would indeed merit a compensatory pick.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

UOK wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
UOK wrote:
Wait, I'm probably wrong....

I'm guessing this would indeed merit a compensatory pick.
Depends on who we sign as well if my memory serves me correctly.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I pretty rarely listen to national NFL media because they never seem to have a sufficiently deep understanding of the teams they're discussing... but I really like the Mina Kimes podcast and she was the latest to praise the Packers for this contract. Comparing this contract to the Landon Collins deal is just terrible logic. Are you guys hearing this type of thing on ESPN and NFL Network? Is it possible that we, despite having watched literally every snap of this guy's NFL career, missed the fact that he's an elite safety?
xyt in the discord chats