Inside Look at Matt Nagy

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I thought this was a very good interview, if you have some spare time I recommend it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeqHxJ2DmnA&t=443s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The part about him interviewing with the Bears and the Trubisky evaluation process was very interesting.
Never Die Easy
Bad Flanders
MVP

I thought this was going to be colonoscopy stuff or something, I was a little scared to open it to be honest.
UOK
Site Admin

Nagy's a genuine dude.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

here's an interesting read

Why Matt Nagy spent one morning as an Eagles backup quarterback
Nagy, then 31, was in just his second year as an unpaid intern. That is why Reid thought he could sign him to a contract, according to then-offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg. The Eagles had only three quarterbacks at camp, and backup Kevin Kolb had injured his knee three days before the preseason opener against the Patriots.

Reid, then the Eagles coach, didn’t want McNabb playing more than a series or two, and he didn’t want to tax third-stringer A.J. Feeley. So, rather than sign another quarterback off the street who would be unlikely to learn the offense in a few days, he thought he’d give Nagy the shot of a lifetime.

“We’re walking off the field that Monday and Andy goes, ‘Can Matt Nagy do this?’ And I’m going, ‘Do what?’ ” Mornhinweg said by phone. “And he goes, ‘Play in a game.’ I’m going, ‘Play in a game Thursday night? Yeah, he could, but that’s illegal because he’s a coach. There’s a rule there.’

“And he’s going, ‘He didn’t sign anything.’ And I’m going, ‘So he signed nothing? We’re just paying him.’ And he’s like, ‘I’m not even sure we’re paying him.’ ”

Heckert, who recently died after a long battle with amyloidosis, went back and forth with the league office, which finally gave the Eagles the OK. Reid called Nagy into his office at Lehigh, where the Eagles held camp, and he asked “if I had an agent, if I was in shape, and if I knew the playbook,” Nagy said.

~~~

But when morning practice opened on Aug. 11, there was Nagy in a No. 9 red jersey. Asked Wednesday about his workout, Nagy first mentioned the interception he threw. But Mornhinweg and Pederson remembered how well he had run the two-minute drill.

“I think he checked to a ‘Q-9,’ which is roll out left, sprint left, which we usually don’t do with a righthanded quarterback,” Pederson said.

Actually, Nagy said, the Eagles didn’t have a “Q-9” option in the playbook.

“I went ‘Q-9, Q-9,’ and we only went Q-8 at the time — to that right,” Nagy said. “And so, [the offensive linemen] looked back at me like, ‘What the hell are you saying?’ But I said, ‘Q-9, we’re going to the left,’ and we did it, and it kind of shocked them.”

Afterward, Nagy was ambushed by reporters.

“That might be all it is. It may be more. I don’t know,” Nagy said then. “But how can you not have a smile on your face with this opportunity?”

Four hours later, the Eagles held their second practice of the day, but Nagy was back in coaching shorts. The NFL rejected his contract. They said it was because of a preexisting Arena League contract that hadn’t technically expired, even though the league had.

The real reason, according to Mornhinweg, was that the league didn’t want teams to be able to stow potential players on their coaching staffs.

“It’s not illegal, but we got a call saying, ‘Please don’t do it,’ ” Mornhinweg said. “One of those deals.”
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bad Flanders
MVP

That's a great Boris, thanks for posting that!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bad Flanders wrote:That's a great Boris, thanks for posting that!

if not for some bad luck and a weird (but understandable rule) regarding teams not being able to stash potential players on coaching staffs, he could have had an NFL shot
George Carlin
Bad Flanders
MVP

seems like he figured it out anyway!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am telling you, if you have access to the Bears Desksite, it is really a good watch. I have it through my roku. He does a short coaches show on there and it is real laid. You also have access to mid week press conferences and post game ones as well. He is a normal dude that is an NFL coach. One of the most laid back (in terms of talking with people, not in game), normal guys I have seen coach.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'm just happy we now have a Head Coach who has a clue and a plan and who is easy to understand and relate to.
George Carlin