Bears sign RB Mike Davis to 2yr, $6M deal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

RT @RapSheet: Former #Seahawks RB Mike Davis is signing with the #Bears, source said. The former practice squad earns his first big payday.

@RapSheet
5m

Mike Davis and the #Bears agree to a 2-year deal worth $6M, source said. It has a max value of $7M.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

@RapSheet

Former #Seahawks RB Mike Davis is signing with the #Bears, source said. The former practice squad earns his first big payday.

Now following the 2018 season, Davis has proven to be a versatile force in a new NFL offensive landscape where versatility is the spice of life. Not only was he the NFL's 37st best rusher with 514 yards on 112 attempts (4.6 yards per carry) along with four rushing touchdowns but he also provided 34 receptions out of 42 targets for an additional 214 yards and a touchdown. Rising from the fourth running back on the depth chart at the beginning of the season to the team's unquestioned third-down back and fill-in when Chris Carson was hurt, Davis now finds himself in the driver's seat for a much bigger payday than $1.2 million over a single year.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

He's solid - a nice depth piece or rotational guy.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

Cunningham replacement level player.
Buffaloaf
Rookie

Rotoworld intimated that he could replace Howard.

"The former fifth-round pick of the 49ers finally found a home and a role last season as the Seahawks' third-down back behind bruiser Chris Carson. With Rashaad Penny slated for a bigger role in Seattle, Davis moves on to Chicago to team with Tarik Cohen and whoever else the Bears add at the position. With Davis now in the fold, Jordan Howard can start packing his bags. The landing spot gives Davis sleeper fantasy potential assuming the Bears don't draft a running back that beats him out in training camp."

from rotoworld
G08
Hall of Famer

Kid runs with some wiggle and has some power to him as well... nice player.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I could see him, a rookie and cohen take the load if they trade Howard.
Funkster
MVP

Talk about a boner killer, one minute we’re talking about Bell and the next the bears sign Mike Davis.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:Talk about a boner killer, one minute we’re talking about Bell and the next the bears sign Mike Davis.
He’s depth... what’s killing your boner?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:Talk about a boner killer, one minute we’re talking about Bell and the next the bears sign Mike Davis.
Boners shouldn't be killed, all boners lives matter.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I don't think Pace and Nagy are bringing this guy in to start. I don't think was a possibility anyway.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:

Are you sure? Average AAV is 2.2M, bears sure aren’t paying him like depth. I live in Seattle and have seen enough of Davis to know what the bears are getting and it’s not better than Howard. Much like Howard, he thrives on inside zone and designed screens. Isn’t much of an outside passing threat which I thought Nagy was looking for?
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
DoubleDoink
Rookie

UOK wrote:@RapSheet

Former #Seahawks RB Mike Davis is signing with the #Bears, source said. The former practice squad earns his first big payday.

Now following the 2018 season, Davis has proven to be a versatile force in a new NFL offensive landscape where versatility is the spice of life. Not only was he the NFL's 37st best rusher with 514 yards on 112 attempts (4.6 yards per carry) along with four rushing touchdowns but he also provided 34 receptions out of 42 targets for an additional 214 yards and a touchdown. Rising from the fourth running back on the depth chart at the beginning of the season to the team's unquestioned third-down back and fill-in when Chris Carson was hurt, Davis now finds himself in the driver's seat for a much bigger payday than $1.2 million over a single year.
I like this signing a lot. I hope we still draft a guy early.

Also, when am I able to send PMs on here?
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:

Are you sure? Average AAV is 2.2M, bears sure aren’t paying him like depth. I live in Seattle and have seen enough of Davis to know what the bears are getting and it’s not better than Howard. Much like Howard, he thrives on inside zone and designed screens. Isn’t much of an outside passing threat which I thought Nagy was looking for?
Sooooooo they are paying him basically what Cunningham/Mizzel were making.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:

I would say he is depth that is a hedge against getting a rookie up to speed and he also performed well in starter duty. On the plus side, if it means the end of Mizzell ever seeing the field for the bears again its a double bonus.

Frankly Bell is a pipe dream that wasn't ever going to happen $ wise, even at a bargain price of 10 million it would be too steep considering current and future impacts to their ability to sign and resign others.
MoFugger
Head Coach

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:

Pretty close. Maybe a hair more depending on how the contract is structured, but definitely not any reason to believe they just signed atheir starting running back.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:

I should have said, the 2.2 AAV is average STARTER money. Cunningham/Mizzel were making a combined 1.35M. To date Davis is the highest paid RB on the team and about the 18th overall. If Howard is moved, he’ll be splitting reps with Cohen unless they draft and fall in love with that back during camp.

This signing doesn’t make much sense to me. I don’t see how the running or passing game got better with this signing. I’m trusting Pace and Nagy though but this is the first signing from Pace that has me scratching my head.
Bearfacts
MVP

I like the deal. Now Pace has some options as to how to proceed with dealing Howard if possible and also how to draft.

Davis appears to be a shorter but quicker and more elusive version of Howard but far more of a natural receiver. But he's more of a supplemental back in a Running Back by Committee backfield than a 20+ carry lead back. With his versatility he looks to be a slight upgrade over Howard.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Have to agree with Wab on this one. He looks to be a replacement for Cunningham, not Howard. If Howard is going to be traded, then I imagine there are a couple RBs in the draft we are targeting. I doubt that Mike Davis is here to replace him.
G08
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:Have to agree with Wab on this one. He looks to be a replacement for Cunningham, not Howard. If Howard is going to be traded, then I imagine there are a couple RBs in the draft we are targeting. I doubt that Mike Davis is here to replace him.
I dunno man... he's awwwwfully similar to Kareem Hunt from a pure metrics standpoint:

Hunt:

5’10” 216 lb
4.62 40
18 bench reps
4.53 short shuttle
36.5 vertical
9’11” broad
7.22 3-cone

Davis:

5’9” 217 lb
4.61 40 (4.52 at Pro Day)
17 bench reps
4.18 short shuttle
34.0 vertical
9’8” broad
7.00 3-cone

No, I'm not saying this kid is going to be or is expected to be Kareem Hunt... but he's got some talent to him.

UOK
Site Admin

Davis is the Cunningham/Mizzell guy that doesn't make fans groan in confusion when he comes into the game. Yet.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:
Boners shouldn't be killed, all boners lives matter.
LOL
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Those of you who think Davis is a younger replacement for Cunningham are right I think. Those who think he also replaces Mizzell may be missing it. Mizzell is Cohen's backup. Davis isn't that. And I'm not a Mizzell fan in any way. But that's how I see it.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:Have to agree with Wab on this one. He looks to be a replacement for Cunningham, not Howard. If Howard is going to be traded, then I imagine there are a couple RBs in the draft we are targeting. I doubt that Mike Davis is here to replace him.
I dunno man... he's awwwwfully similar to Kareem Hunt from a pure metrics standpoint:

Hunt:

5’10” 216 lb
4.62 40
18 bench reps
4.53 short shuttle
36.5 vertical
9’11” broad
7.22 3-cone

Davis:

5’9” 217 lb
17 bench reps
4.18 short shuttle
34.0 vertical
9’8” broad
7.00 3-cone

No, I'm not saying this kid is going to be or is expected to be Kareem Hunt... but he's got some talent to him.
But you can’t base field play on metrics. Davis plays nothing like Hunt and has a problem staying healthy. After a sleep, I’m still scratching my head.
G08
Hall of Famer

PFF CHI Bears

@PFF_Bears
7m7 minutes ago
More
Mike Davis averaged 2.94 yards after contact per carry in 2018.

That's more than Joe Mixon (2.76), Alvin Kamara (2.75) and Jordan Howard (2.74) last year

ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

this is fine if he is our third RB and occasional receiver
Funkster
MVP

ramentaschen wrote:this is fine if he is our third RB and occasional receiver
3M APY for a 3rd RB? Bears would have been better off singing Frank Gore if that were the case.
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:
ramentaschen wrote:this is fine if he is our third RB and occasional receiver
3M APY for a 3rd RB? Bears would have been better off singing Frank Gore if that were the case.
Frank Gore is like 46yrs old tho
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:

Hunt:

5’10” 216 lb
4.62 40
18 bench reps
4.53 short shuttle
36.5 vertical
9’11” broad
7.22 3-cone

Davis:

5’9” 217 lb
17 bench reps
4.18 short shuttle
34.0 vertical
9’8” broad
7.00 3-cone

But you can’t base field play on metrics. Davis plays nothing like Hunt and has a problem staying healthy. After a sleep, I’m still scratching my head.
See the bold above in my post you quoted. I watched everything I could find on him... he's got some burst through the hole and some wiggle to his jump cuts. Kid runs hard too and has decent hands. I'm not opposed to opening up the RB competition and giving him the reigns if he wins it.

Umbali
MVP

Not sure what Pace and Nagy are thinking on this signing but I honestly dont know anything about the guy. I am sure they have a plan. I am more curious as to what they are planning regarding Howard. If something doesnt happen in next day or two are they going to deal him to move up or get picks on draft day, or keep him and use him more the way they did during the latter part of the season last year versus the early part?

The loyal part of me would like to see him back, however with him hitting the year where he could be getting paid bigger next year, we would really be better off finding a cheaper RB in the draft and getting something for Howard now rather than letting him walk next year for nothing.

As a long time Bears fan I have always over valued RBs based on my love of Payton and how the Bears tend to value the running game, however you can look at the plug and play nature of how the Pats use RBs and realize its ok not to have that bellcow back
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers