Trade Scenarios That Would Flip People Out

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I'll start out with one but feel free to keep it going if you come up with anything that probably wouldn't happen, but there's that small chance and would set the NFL "on tilt" (kinda like a team trading away one of the best players in the game for a couple 1st round picks).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... y-april-15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Russell Wilson wants to be the next highest paid player in the league. He used to be one of the most dynamic players due to his deep accuracy and ability to make key plays with his legs. Now 30, Wilson is still able to make plays, and has refined his passing game, but does Seattle REALLY want to make him the highest paid player ever?

Trade scenario: Seahawks trade Wilson to Arizona for the 1st overall pick in 2019 (and a few other picks, possibly 2020). This gives Seattle another young dynamic player to mold and a much easier contract to absorb sitting close to the league average. They would be able to add another few pieces to that defense that has been depleted overall. Also Seattle saves ~17 million in cap with a trade.
Arizona obviously gets their playoff ready QB now and they have more cap space to be able to absorb a contract extension. Larry Fitz gets the 2nd best QB he's ever played with, and David Johnson says thank you Lord, I don't have to carry the team.

Overall, unlikely...but there's that small inkling of possibility that just makes you stop and think.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Funkster
MVP

There is a lot of talk around Seattle what Wilson and the hawks will do. He just demanded they get a deal done by April 15th. Add that in with rumors he wants to play in NY and the fact he will be the highest paid QB, it’s easy to see trade possibilities. To boot, Carroll’s play defense and run first mentality doesn’t really make much sense paying a 30 year old QB 135 plus million. With some key names also up for extensions, Wilson’s contract would cripple the hawks cap.

Your scenario is at least thought out but I highly doubt the hawks would trade Wilson inside the division.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Russell Wilson isn't good enough to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. He just isn't.
wab
Mod

As far as AZ goes, I there's no way Seattle would trade Russell to a team they face twice a year. I think AZ takes Murray and causes a waterfall effect.

Arizona takes Murray #1
Miami trades up to #8 take Haskins
Oakland trades the #24 and #26 picks to Buffalo for the #9 and #74 pick and they take Drew Lock
The Giants take Daniel Jones with the #17 pick

Then...

Arizona trades Rosen to Cincinnati for a 2nd and 3rd.
Cincinnati trades Dalton to Washington for a 3rd and a 5th.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:Russell Wilson isn't good enough to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. He just isn't.

I agree he’s not good enough to garner and sustain that label. However, I think sometime in the near future he will sit a top the QB pay scale, even if it’s for a short time. I do think it’s smart for the hawks to extend him earlier rather than later, especially with Mahomes rumored to be looking at 200 million. That contract could reset everyone.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:Russell Wilson isn't good enough to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. He just isn't.
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but if Carr and Stafford can get anywhere close, then Russ can get there.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I can't wait for the day when a stud QB is going to not break the bank because they realize they want the team to be able to afford good players to put around them (discounting Brady somewhat due to all his endorsements and wife's cash).
Funkster
MVP

Otis Day wrote:I can't wait for the day when a stud QB is going to not break the bank because they realize they want the team to be able to afford good players to put around them (discounting Brady somewhat due to all his endorsements and wife's cash).
I always think the Brady as some bargain QB argument is a funny take. If you only account his football contracts, Brady has earned 212.16M and has the 4th highest 2019 cap hit of 27M. I don’t think he needed endorsements nor his wife’s money for him to get by in life. True, he has allowed the pats to be flexible with their cap. However, they usually just restructure and covert his salary into a signing bonus.

It sucks for team building but the franchise QB market is booming and is only going to go up. I’m fearing the Mahomes extension is going to totally reset the market and the bears young QB will be in line for a big payday. Eventually, the league will have to loosen the cap restrictions for that position. It will become impossible to work under the current cap structure with one position taking up 20-30%.
docc
Head Coach

With the emergence of RPO style game plans..and the quantity of new college QBs..every year..players in the mold of Brady..Rodgers and other more old style pocket passers (Rodgers now getting older and more injury prone),,PERHAPS we see less $$ for long term QB contracts..
The benefit is more to spread around and less reliance on an individual QBs talent..and more on game plans..

We have seen this with RBs..now somewhat disposable after rookie contracts..as there are many coming up able to slide into the new systems..
TEs..versatile players like Cohen etc..may make the QB less important..just fit in the new systems..
malk
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:
Otis Day wrote:I can't wait for the day when a stud QB is going to not break the bank because they realize they want the team to be able to afford good players to put around them (discounting Brady somewhat due to all his endorsements and wife's cash).
I always think the Brady as some bargain QB argument is a funny take. If you only account his football contracts, Brady has earned 212.16M and has the 4th highest 2019 cap hit of 27M. I don’t think he needed endorsements nor his wife’s money for him to get by in life. True, he has allowed the pats to be flexible with their cap. However, they usually just restructure and covert his salary into a signing bonus.

It sucks for team building but the franchise QB market is booming and is only going to go up. I’m fearing the Mahomes extension is going to totally reset the market and the bears young QB will be in line for a big payday. Eventually, the league will have to loosen the cap restrictions for that position. It will become impossible to work under the current cap structure with one position taking up 20-30%.
You need to look into the detail on Brady. Last season and this season are the first that he's broken $20m when that has been common for a while. Also the career numbers include the $17.42m he took in the 2010 uncapped year. Brady has been consistently underpaid, not least the three years from 2015-2017 where he was less than 10% of the cap.

Even the years where he wasn't flexibly dropping his cap number he's only had two years prior to 2018 where his number broke 12%.

Brady has left tens of millions on the table and has more championships because of it.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BR0D1E86
MVP

malk wrote:
Funkster wrote:

You need to look into the detail on Brady. Last season and this season are the first that he's broken $20m when that has been common for a while. Also the career numbers include the $17.42m he took in the 2010 uncapped year. Brady has been consistently underpaid, not least the three years from 2015-2017 where he was less than 10% of the cap.

Even the years where he wasn't flexibly dropping his cap number he's only had two years prior to 2018 where his number broke 12%.

Brady has left tens of millions on the table and has more championships because of it.
He absolutely has. And I’ll grant anyone who wants to make the point that he’s incredibly marketable and his wife is mega rich, so he can do that and still make insane money. But he still didn’t have to make less than he could have.

I’ve never really hated him. He’s a freak of nature at the position like I’ve never seen before.