Russell Wilson agrees to new deal with Seahawks

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IotaNet
MVP

After imposing a negotiating deadline with Seattle, Russell Wilson, get the extension he was looking for. The new deal is for four years and $140 million, with $107 million guaranteed and includes a no-trade clause.

Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... in-seattle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

That deal is ignorant.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Salaries are getting out of hand IMO. Why do players have to be the "highest paid?" I will say right now, he will not win a Super Bowl in Seattle. I wish there were more sensible athletes that would realize their contracts could cripple the team. Egomaniacs.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Seattle can say goodbye to competitiveness for awhile now. Just like Green Bay after Rodgers' deal.

Wilson's deal will be a good benchmark for Trubisky after you add in a few years of salary cap inflation and development within Nagy's offense.

Things like this are another reason why Brady is the GOAT. Say what you will about New England, but he's sacrificed earnings to play on winners.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Salaries are getting out of hand IMO. Why do players have to be the "highest paid?" I will say right now, he will not win a Super Bowl in Seattle. I wish there were more sensible athletes that would realize their contracts could cripple the team. Egomaniacs.

because the modern day pro athlete is a mercenary ...as long as they, as individuals, get what they want, little concern is given for much else

very few team oriented stars these days ... Brady tops the list ... love or hate the Patriots, Brady has been the main star willing to accept far below market value so the team can get him the complimentary players he needs to be successful ... you would think maybe others would follow his lead, and maybe one or two of the up and coming young guys might down the road ... Brady is well paid, but in comparison to his peers, he is a bargain, especially when you consider the on field results yielded ... he is all in on the team concept and has the rings to prove it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IotaNet
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
Otis Day wrote:Salaries are getting out of hand IMO. Why do players have to be the "highest paid?" I will say right now, he will not win a Super Bowl in Seattle. I wish there were more sensible athletes that would realize their contracts could cripple the team. Egomaniacs.
because the modern day pro athlete is a mercenary ...as long as they, as individuals, get what they want, little concern is given for much else
I couldn't disagree more.

The modern athlete is SMART because they know they are a tweaked knee or torn ligament away from the unemployment line. You go down with an injury? Next man up! And you are now yesterday's news.

These guys have gotten smart enough to leverage their earnings when they can, while they can. And they have become far smarter about leveraging and investing that income beyond the game. And as much as we think they are pains-in-the-rear and on Social Media, they are building brands and revenue streams that keep them from having to be dependent upon the NFL. That's called being a smart businessman.

Regarding salaries getting out of hand, I call BS. The NFL is a $14 Billion a year industry that is basically being split between 32 men. Whatever salaries are being paid, the owners are making exponentially more. NFL salaries will never get "out of hand" because the wealthy men who CONTROL the NFL won't allow that to happen.

And don't talk to me about Brady. Brady has matinee-idol good looks that most of them don't have which he can leverage forever. AND he has a wife who makes more money than he does. He can afford to be outwardly magnanimous.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
I couldn't disagree more.

The modern athlete is SMART because they know they are a tweaked knee or torn ligament away from the unemployment line. You go down with an injury? Next man up! And you are now yesterday's news.

and I will disagree with you

when you have guys who make more in 1 year than an average fan will make in a lifetime, and they publicly make comments about their multi-million dollar deals not being enough to feed their families, that is where they cross the line from someone trying to get a good deal to a greedy narcissistic mercenary ... because for a lot of these guys, there is never enough and they always want more more more
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IotaNet
MVP

Boris13c wrote:when you have guys who make more in 1 year than an average fan will make in a lifetime, and they publicly make comments about their multi-million dollar deals not being enough to feed their families, that is where they cross the line from someone trying to get a good deal to a greedy narcissistic mercenary ... because for a lot of these guys, there is never enough and they always want more more more
I haven't heard anybody talking "feeding their family" since Latrell Spreewell said that 15 years ago. That's an old strawman.

Regarding being a "greedy narcissistic mercenary," that, my friend is called capitalism. We celebrate it when Gates, Bezos, Rockerfeller, Getty, Kraft, and Blank do it -- no different when individual players do it.

- Colin Powell
malk
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote:
Boris13c wrote:when you have guys who make more in 1 year than an average fan will make in a lifetime, and they publicly make comments about their multi-million dollar deals not being enough to feed their families, that is where they cross the line from someone trying to get a good deal to a greedy narcissistic mercenary ... because for a lot of these guys, there is never enough and they always want more more more
I haven't heard anybody talking "feeding their family" since Latrell Spreewell said that 15 years ago. That's an old strawman.

Regarding being a "greedy narcissistic mercenary," that, my friend is called capitalism. We celebrate it when Gates, Bezos, Rockerfeller, Getty, Kraft, and Blank do it -- no different when individual players do it.
Sounds about right for capitalism...

So Wilson, like Rodgers and many others, will get a few extra marginal dollars and sacrifice a chance at winning titles. Who do you think will be happier in retirement, Brady or Wilson? Even if you think the Brady comparison isn't fair, is there no chance that he thinks in retirement, maybe $100m and the shot at a few more titles might have been better than $140m and zip...

I've said this a bunch of times now, the next great team is the one that realises that the QB market is broken and finds a way around paying the market rate to them. Whether that's drafting a first rounder every five years, whether that's a generation of coaches that scheme around needing a "top" QB, whether its the good talent evaluation that finds the Foles' or Keenum's (and then doesn't pay them after their initial deals).

We'd better enjoy Trubisky's rookie deal because we stop being a contender when he signs a ridiculous 2nd contract.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
IotaNet
MVP

malk wrote: ... Who do you think will be happier in retirement, Brady or Wilson? Even if you think the Brady comparison isn't fair, is there no chance that he thinks in retirement, maybe $100m and the shot at a few more titles might have been better than $140m and zip...
I can't say which one would be happier but regardless of what happens next (which we don't know), Wilson already has a ring. More would be nice but *I* think he is focused on maximizing his money-making opportunities while he's in his prime.

We don't know what Wilson's long-term play is but feathering his nest now will give him his best shot to build generational wealth for the future.

- Colin Powell
Umbali
MVP

I cant blame the player if thats what they want. I cant blame the owners, they can afford it. For me personally as a fan, I dont want to see our team being stuck paying that while the rest of the team sucks because we cant afford more. That being said we sucked our ass off with or without that kind of contract and still lost. shrug. Give me some sustained success so I can have a more informed fan opinion, not that it matters.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
BR0D1E86
MVP

I have no problem with players getting what they can when they can. One serious enough injury and they’re gone.

That said, I’m a fan of the team, not players. Value contracts are good for the tram, and a contract paying Russell Wilson $140 million is not value. I wouldn’t be thrilled as a Seasquawks fan.