Per Schefter: Gould will not sign - wants to be traded

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I may be in the minority, but the Bears need to move on. No sense signing a 36 yr old kicker at this point. No picks to use, picks are more important at this point. Would Pace really admit he made a mistake and bring the guy back? I don't think so.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Dunno if I'd trade a pick this year (next year's 6th maybe), but Pace can get around the error admission by dumping it in John Fox's lap if he needs to. I don't know anything about Pace's ego to know whether he needs to or not, but he has a prefab scapegoat if he wants one.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
skamanfrank
Journeyman

I'd be so scared that we get him back, only for him to fall off a cliff performance wise and sour the whole thing...
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Things are lining up. Make this trade Pace. We have ten picks next year. We do not need that many. Use one to move up this year to get a RB and use another to get Gould. We still have 8 and we don't even need that many.

What are the odds we need a kicker at the same time Gould's situation with the 49'ers goes south?

How poetic would it be for him to kick the Super Bowl winning field goal for us?
Umbali
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:Things are lining up. Make this trade Pace. We have ten picks next year. We do not need that many. Use one to move up this year to get a RB and use another to get Gould. We still have 8 and we don't even need that many.

What are the odds we need a kicker at the same time Gould's situation with the 49'ers goes south?

How poetic would it be for him to kick the Super Bowl winning field goal for us?
how horribly ironic for him to miss it :frustrated:
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Shanahan: 49ers won't OK Gould's trade request
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Two days after kicker Robbie Gould and his agent told ESPN that Gould would like the San Francisco 49ers to trade him back closer to his Chicago home, Niners coach Kyle Shanahan made it clear that Gould's request isn't likely to be granted.

Asked Thursday night whether the Niners would trade Gould, Shanahan offered a simple reply.

"No," Shanahan said.

According to Shanahan, while the 49ers understand Gould's desire to get closer to home, they also have a responsibility to put together the best possible roster.

"We love having Robbie here," Shanahan said. "We understand that he doesn't want to live here long-term and he's made that clear to us and we get that. But we do have a franchise tag and he's that good of a kicker that he's worth franchising. Unfortunately, we know we're not going to have him here long-term. I think that's been pretty clear. No hard feelings about that. I can understand his reasons but I'm pretty excited to have a good kicker this year."

The question, then, is if and when Gould will actually play for the 49ers this year. San Francisco put the franchise tag on Gould in February, a designation that comes with an offer of a one-year deal for around $5 million.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin