The RB position

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The following guys are listed on our roster at the RB position...

Tarik Cohen
Mike Davis
Taquan Mizzell
David Montgomery
Ryan Nall
Kerrith White

Discuss this position group and predict who makes the final 53 barring injury.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Mizell and Nall on the outside looking in with Kerrith a practice squad guy.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I could see them keeping 4 active if they drop a fullback off. I know they had M. Burton on the roster but don't remember him much last year.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

By week one, ideally, I think it will be Montgomery/Cohen/Davis/Whyte. I think Whyte can be effective enough to take Tarik’s place on special teams, earning him a roster spot. Patterson does not make the roster in this scenario.
Buffaloaf
Rookie

alexwilkins wrote:By week one, ideally, I think it will be Montgomery/Cohen/Davis/Whyte. I think Whyte can be effective enough to take Tarik’s place on special teams, earning him a roster spot. Patterson does not make the roster in this scenario.
I didn't think of that scenario - if he can relieve Cohen of PR duties, then we can utilize Cohen more effectively and often out of the backfield.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote:By week one, ideally, I think it will be Montgomery/Cohen/Davis/Whyte. I think Whyte can be effective enough to take Tarik’s place on special teams, earning him a roster spot. Patterson does not make the roster in this scenario.
Patterson's getting 5M guaranteed in 2019. He's a lock.

Last year they had 4 HBs + 1FB. I'd be stunned if they went with only 3 RBs this year.
The only intrigue in spots to me is that I'm curious if they'd consider Nall as a hybrid FB/HB.

So Davis, Cohen, Montgomery are all locks.
That leaves Nall, Mizzell, Whyte fighting for probably 1 spot.

Whyte gets the edge as a draft pick.
Mizzell is up against it, since Whyte is here to do what he does.
Nall's chance to be the bigger back of the squad is hurt by Montgomery's size
Probably Whyte.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

They'll use 4 backs, that is a given. Mizzell is a goner, IMHO. Guy had multiple opportunities to show some flavor last season, even in spite of fans screaming at Nagy in disbelief at why he would be in the game on occasion, and Mizzell never stood out. I didn't see anything on special teams that would add value.

Whyte is a potentially better Mizzell who can also return kicks. That alone gives him the edge.

It'd be cool if Nall could distinguish himself, but Whyte may have him with the special teams prowess.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

They keep 4 RBs, Mizzel and Nall are gone
wab
Mod

Montgomery, Cohen, Davis, Whyte. I could see Nall making it as a FB/H-back depending on how many WRs or TE's they keep, but Braunecker or Raymond will probably fill that role.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Hard for me not to root for the UDFAs like Nall and Raymond. I'm going to say that they're going to play some games with Nall and Whyte bouncing between the roster and practice squad, based on matchups. Nall does provide a size element that nobody else has, yet still has some proficiency in the passing game. I'm going to say... barring injury... we start with...

Montgomery, Cohen, Davis and Nall.

Just to be different. :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Montgomery, Cohen, Davis, Whyte. I could see Nall making it as a FB/H-back depending on how many WRs or TE's they keep, but Braunecker or Raymond will probably fill that role.
Co-signed.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bad Flanders
MVP

Just to throw a wrench in the works... are we entirely sure that C Patt is considered a WR? Dude is a hybrid himself. Might make one of those HB spots a little more expendable in favor of an extra wr...
sturf
Journeyman

Bad Flanders wrote:Just to throw a wrench in the works... are we entirely sure that C Patt is considered a WR? Dude is a hybrid himself. Might make one of those HB spots a little more expendable in favor of an extra wr...
Patterson is the key there because he's the fourth RB as much as he is a WR. Whyte and Nall are competing as much with the depth WR's for a roster spot as they are with each other.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Moriarty wrote:
Patterson's getting 5M guaranteed in 2019. He's a lock.

Last year they had 4 HBs + 1FB. I'd be stunned if they went with only 3 RBs this year.
The only intrigue in spots to me is that I'm curious if they'd consider Nall as a hybrid FB/HB.

So Davis, Cohen, Montgomery are all locks.
That leaves Nall, Mizzell, Whyte fighting for probably 1 spot.

Whyte gets the edge as a draft pick.
Mizzell is up against it, since Whyte is here to do what he does.
Nall's chance to be the bigger back of the squad is hurt by Montgomery's size
Probably Whyte.
Agree with all the points, logic, and end prediction.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers