The first sign of drama between Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFle

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

It’s only June, but there’s already some friction in Green Bay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuLP3fvUCWQ
Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers registered his first passive-aggressive gripe Sunday, directed at new coach Matt LaFleur. The former MVP apparently isn’t thrilled with the amount of control he’s given at the line of scrimmage in the new offense.

“I don’t think you want me to turn off 11 years,” Rodgers told NFL.com. “There’s stuff that not many people in the league can do at the line. That’s not a humblebrag. That’s just a fact.

“I mean, obviously, Tommy (Brady) can do it, no doubt. Peyton (Manning) could do it. Drew (Brees) can do it. (Patrick) Mahomes will be able to do it. Ben (Roethlisberger) has called the two-minute for years. There are a few of us who’ve just done it; it’s kind of second nature. And that’s just the icing on the cake for what I can do in this offense.”

Rodgers’ comments mark the first whiff of discord between him and his new head coach, but his frustration is a familiar tune heard often around Lambeau. Rodgers previously clashed with former head coach Mike McCarthy, who was fired after the Packers’ Week 13 loss to the Cardinals last season. The two were often at odds over control in the offense — a conflict that appears to have recurred under a new regime.

“Aaron and I have had some good talks, and we’re going to have a lot more – and one thing we have to work through is the audible thing,” LaFleur told NFL.com. “We’re running a system I first picked up while working with Kyle [Shanahan] in Houston a decade ago, and we’ve never really had a quarterback who’s had complete freedom to change plays at the line, because that’s not really the way the offense is set up.

“But, I mean, this is Aaron Rodgers. He’s had a lot of freedom to make those calls, and deservedly so. Now, how do we reconcile that, and get to a place where we put him in the best position to succeed?”

LaFleur has an impressive track record, helping Matt Ryan and Jared Goff to career seasons, serving as the quarterbacks coach with the Falcons and offensive coordinator with the Rams. He now gets to work with Rodgers, tasked with modernizing an offense that became stagnant under McCarthy.

“We pride ourselves on having concepts that have answers for whatever,” LaFleur said. “Now, it might now always be the best answer, but you have an answer. But when there are plays that are called that have maybe not a very good answer, we typically call two plays and we run one or the other, based upon the look that the defense is giving us. The quarterback chooses, and there are criteria: We try to teach him the criteria for why we would want this play over the other play.”

Rodgers would like to broaden his options beyond those two plays. As Rodgers and LaFleur continue to feel each other out, with a little over a month until training camp, there are likely to be more growing pains as Erin adjusts his Tampax.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Things like this just break my damn heart. What a way to start the day. This is why you don't hire unproven coaches to lead a future Hall Of Famer.

So Rodgers thinks that The GOAT, Brees, Peyton Manning and Roethlisberger can handle calls at the line. Eventually Mahomes.

Not one word about Biscuit.

I wonder if Trubisky has anything he'd like to say about that? How about a demonstration on opening night at the end of the half and in the 4th quarter to run up the score?

I hope Nagy sees this, prints it out, and puts it up in Biscuit's locker.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

MP do you really think Trubs name belongs with the names mentioned? Come on now, really? Take the beer goggles off and really think about it. Trubs does not belong with Big Ben, Brees, Rodgers or Mannings at this time. Mahomes is thrown in there due to the big time year he has had. I don't think Trubs would feel slighted at all by Lefluer's comments.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:MP do you really think Trubs name belongs with the names mentioned? Come on now, really? Take the beer goggles off and really think about it. Trubs does not belong with Big Ben, Brees, Rodgers or Mannings at this time. Mahomes is thrown in there due to the big time year he has had. I don't think Trubs would feel slighted at all by Lefluer's comments.
No, Biscuit's name doesn't belong along side with The GOAT, Roethlisberger, Brees, Rodgers and Payton Manning.

But Rodgers keeps throwing these jabs either by suggestion or leaving Biscuit out. I think that if somebody, like Biscuit, is motivated to be up in that group, these slights should be remembered.

After the whole beer chugging thing, didn't Rodgers say something to the effect of they finally found something where they're better than him?

Michael Jordan used anything and everything to get an extra ounce of motivation. Biscuit could learn a lot from that.

With Rodgers, we're ultimately talking about a QB with less Super Bowl wins than Eli Manning and the same amount as Trent Dilfer. I get it that he has ability and has put that team on his back numerous times but it hasn't translated to franchise dominance. He really should be keeping his ego in check.
wab
Mod

I'm excited to watch this whole thing burn.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

lol, man, could you imagine how well rodgers would take the sean mcvay treatment of talking in his ear every play until they shut the mic off?

god i hope this is where that's headed.