Kevin White got cut

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

Rumor was this would impact a Bears Comp pick, though I’m not exactly sure why.
Umbali
MVP

I really wanted him to do well. How can someone with so much raw talent be so cursed with either bad health , bad luck or maybe work ethic? Really wanted him to do well for us. Dont care about his lost Cardinal career lol.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Xee
Site Admin

Looks like this might be the end of his NFL career.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I feel a patriots pick up is coming.

He factors as the bears signed 4 compensatory free agents and lost 5 to other teams. White being cut drops it to even, therefore eliminating the 1 compensatory pick. They could cut someone or white could get picked back up.
wab
Mod

Dude just had really bad luck. By all accounts he was a hard worker and a good guy to have around the locker room.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

White is really just the gift that keeps on giving isn’t he? This has to be the worst 1st round draft choice in Bears history. The names of players taken after him in the first round is just unbelievable. Good thing we didn’t need people like Beasley, Gurley, Waynes, and Gordon.
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 pm White is really just the gift that keeps on giving isn’t he? This has to be the worst 1st round draft choice in Bears history. The names of players taken after him in the first round is just unbelievable. Good thing we didn’t need people like Beasley, Gurley, Waynes, and Gordon.
At the time it wasn't all that terrible of a pick. It made sense for what the team was trying to do, and it wasn't like White was a ticking injury time bomb coming out of WVU. His body betrayed him. Still does.

Things I'm still more upset about than Kevin White at 7:
  • 2nd rd pick DE Dan Bazuin (injured neck, out of football nearly instantly)
  • 1st rd pick OT Marc Columbo (4 straight years of crippling injuries before being a longtime starter for Dallas)
  • sending a 2nd rd pick to Tampa for DE Gaines Adams (died fairly soon after being acquired)
  • trading away TE Greg Olsen because he "didn't work" in Martz' offense (has been a 3x Pro Bowler in Carolina)
  • 1st rd pick DE Michael Haynes (had 5.5 sacks in 3 miserable years before being cut)
  • signing QB Mike Glennon to a $45 million contract
Xee
Site Admin

UOK wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:46 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 pm White is really just the gift that keeps on giving isn’t he? This has to be the worst 1st round draft choice in Bears history. The names of players taken after him in the first round is just unbelievable. Good thing we didn’t need people like Beasley, Gurley, Waynes, and Gordon.
At the time it wasn't all that terrible of a pick. It made sense for what the team was trying to do, and it wasn't like White was a ticking injury time bomb coming out of WVU. His body betrayed him. Still does.

• 1st rd pick OT Marc Columbo (4 straight years of crippling injuries before being a longtime starter for Dallas)
  • sending a 2nd rd pick to Tampa for DE Gaines Adams (died fairly soon after being acquired)
  • trading away TE Greg Olsen because he "didn't work" in Martz' offense (has been a 3x Pro Bowler in Carolina)
  • 1st rd pick DE Michael Haynes (had 5.5 sacks in 3 miserable years before being cut)
Man, a lot of blasts from the past there. I remember that Colombo leg injury though; I believe there was a lot of talk if he'd ever play again so I can't fault the Bears for that move. Olsen would have to be biggest bone-headed move imo.
IotaNet
MVP

wab wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:40 am Dude just had really bad luck. By all accounts he was a hard worker and a good guy to have around the locker room.
This. I've never heard/read anything other than he was a good dude who gave it his all. Unfortunately, his body gave out on him.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I think he was a good guy with talent that tried hard but just had terrible luck as far as health.

Thanks for the trip down frustration lane UOK. :-) Olsen and Bazuin are the highest for me from recent memory. The Adams trade didn't bother me, but I think we should've got a compensatory pick at the very least after that tragedy.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:46 pm

Like you said, Angelo trading Olsen was dumber than drafting White. Olsen was a proven commodity and a good TE like that is a great security blanket for a QB. What if Olsen gets into Canton? That's the Bears version of Brock for Broglio.

The Glennon thing was just d-u-m-b. Wasn't there a theory at one point that it was all a giant headfake by Pace? I don't know how much I would believe that. But yes, that contract was horrendous.

Good thing Pace has a very serious list of successes otherwise we'd be screwed. I know it's unrealistic for GMs to hit on 100% of their picks and the first rounders are just that much more visible, but damn he's got a couple ugly ones (Floyd being the other).

On the positive side, Roquan looks like a home run and Biscuit could be something special.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I don’t even think Floyd is a miss, he’s just frustrating because he hasn’t gotten better. He’s a decent edge rusher.

I don’t know what to think of the White pick. Obviously it was a huge bust. But Pace had just gotten hired so his draft prep was short that year. And it was mainly freak injuries for a guy with no history of them that completely derailed everything. I don’t know that I give Pace a pass for it, but I almost consider it a mulligan.
docc
Head Coach

Driving back to Chicago from a week long business meeting in Madison..late night..On February 18, 1997..freezing..listening to
" Rick Mirer was traded with a 4th round pick in the 1997 NFL draft to the Chicago Bears for their 1st round draft pick,"

Caught my flight back to Arizona the next day..
Rick Fucking Mirer..??

Add to the list of shit..
wab
Mod

The Glennon thing was based completely on potential. He flashed just enough to make people think he could be good. I still hated it, but whatever...the Bears had to spend some money that offseason and that meant some of it was going to be spent stupidly.

I think the Greg Olsen trade is probably my biggest frustration ever with the Chicago Bears.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:26 am The Glennon thing was based completely on potential. He flashed just enough to make people think he could be good. I still hated it, but whatever...the Bears had to spend some money that offseason and that meant some of it was going to be spent stupidly.

I think the Greg Olsen trade is probably my biggest frustration ever with the Chicago Bears.
The Olsen trade was to sooth Martz' ego and nothing more. He wanted to show he had some sway and that he wasn't simply just another in Lovie's long line of shit coordinators. I don't miss that era at ALL. Lot of people liked Lovie and his players loved him, but that team had their shot and fucked it up on a rainy Florida night.

The Glennon thing had nothing to do with potential. It was a precaution against Mitch having to play too soon and become shell-shocked into a shitty career, plus Glennon was a guy who knowingly wasn't any good, but good enough of a bar to let Mitch outshine him enough to win over the stubborn coaches who were all about giving veterans the nod out of principle.

The contract they gave him was evidence enough of that, and the fact it was a glorified 1-yr deal is all that saved me from turning on Pace right away. I still consider it among the worst Chicago sports contracts of all time, but it's nowhere near as bad as, say, Bryan Bickell, Brent Seabrook, Todd Hundley, Milton Bradley, or Brandon Manumaleuna.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Doesn’t it seem like Pace got off to a horrible start? Fox wasn’t his hire but that was the coach. That was most likely driven by the McCaskey’s and Acorsi. But then you’ve got drafting Kevin White, trading up for Floyd and signing Glennon. Things look A LOT different now, but I just wonder what drove Pace’s horrible start? Did the McCaskey’s and Phillips put training wheels on him or something? It doesn’t feel like we have the same guy at GM.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:20 pm Doesn’t it seem like Pace got off to a horrible start? Fox wasn’t his hire but that was the coach. That was most likely driven by the McCaskey’s and Acorsi. But then you’ve got drafting Kevin White, trading up for Floyd and signing Glennon. Things look A LOT different now, but I just wonder what drove Pace’s horrible start? Did the McCaskey’s and Phillips put training wheels on him or something? It doesn’t feel like we have the same guy at GM.
Everyone is gonna make wrong decisions. Keeping those wrong decisions around is exacerbating them. Pace hasn't done a whole bunch of that.

White appears to be just bad luck. Glennon is something UOK outlined above, most of which I agree with. Floyd is one of those "if he figures it out" picks. Whether it was worth the gamble is debatable, but I see the rationale.

Things also might look better because Pace could be learning from his mistakes and not repeating them.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:20 pm Doesn’t it seem like Pace got off to a horrible start? Fox wasn’t his hire but that was the coach. That was most likely driven by the McCaskey’s and Acorsi. But then you’ve got drafting Kevin White, trading up for Floyd and signing Glennon. Things look A LOT different now, but I just wonder what drove Pace’s horrible start? Did the McCaskey’s and Phillips put training wheels on him or something? It doesn’t feel like we have the same guy at GM.
I don't know about "training wheels," per se, but they were being overbearing and guarded about the franchise at the time, and honestly I don't really blame them. They were in a situation which, to be fair, they themselves created by letting a search firm recommend the hire of Phil Emery. The hire of Emery set a path in motion that led to the franchise hitting an all-time low.

The McCaskey/Phillips brass hired Pace to run the football ops, but I'm guessing it was not-so-discreetly implied that he had to earn their trust, and with it independence, gradually. Pace landed Fox, which was at the time something of a coup for a franchise that was shattered after taking chances on Phil Emery and subsequently Marc Trestman; that took chances on offensive coordinator after offensive coordinator; that took chances on Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, etc. They likely told Pace that dignity-restoration took precedence over bold strokes, for at least a season.

Pace had to use Emery-era scouts and didn't totally flesh out his talent evaluation crew for his first draft/FA period, but ultimately the decisions he made were his alone. I don't necessarily think it's fair to call anything training wheels, necessarily, but Pace's first year on the job was very much a "here's the keys to the car, but don't drive it over 30 or I'll be fucking pissed" kind of situation.
Z Bear
MVP

Don't under estimate the influence of John Fox on Pace's first few years. Pace was: 1) finding players to the traits John Fox wanted. 2) was getting feedback about these players from John Fox that ultimately influenced his final decision. If you have not noticed, Fox has bashed just about everything the Bears have done the last two years on ESPN. They did good on defense and the running game during his tenure, but crapped the bed on just about everything to do with the passing game.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:46 pm
I don't know about "training wheels," per se, but they were being overbearing and guarded about the franchise at the time, and honestly I don't really blame them. They were in a situation which, to be fair, they themselves created by letting a search firm recommend the hire of Phil Emery. The hire of Emery set a path in motion that led to the franchise hitting an all-time low.

The McCaskey/Phillips brass hired Pace to run the football ops, but I'm guessing it was not-so-discreetly implied that he had to earn their trust, and with it independence, gradually. Pace landed Fox, which was at the time something of a coup for a franchise that was shattered after taking chances on Phil Emery and subsequently Marc Trestman; that took chances on offensive coordinator after offensive coordinator; that took chances on Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, etc. They likely told Pace that dignity-restoration took precedence over bold strokes, for at least a season.

Pace had to use Emery-era scouts and didn't totally flesh out his talent evaluation crew for his first draft/FA period, but ultimately the decisions he made were his alone. I don't necessarily think it's fair to call anything training wheels, necessarily, but Pace's first year on the job was very much a "here's the keys to the car, but don't drive it over 30 or I'll be fucking pissed" kind of situation.
I didn't know that about using Emery's scouts.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:47 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:46 pm

I didn't know that about using Emery's scouts.
Yeah, he wasn't allowed to bring his Saints database from New Orleans with him (though he could obviously use his memory, personal notes, etc.), which appears to be customary around the league when someone moves to a new organization. So he used the scouts already employed by the Bears for his first draft (also appears to be customary) and made his changes after the draft.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: