Carli Lloyd - Gil Brandt says NFL should give her a look

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

World Cup football champion Carli Lloyd has showed she could kick it in the NFL as well after drilling 55-yard field goals at NFL practice with the Philadelphia Eagles on Tuesday. Lloyd, a south New Jersey native and longtime Eagles fan, connected on several 40-yard attempts with room to spare before hitting from 55 yards. The footage caught the attention of retired Dallas Cowboys talent evaluator Gil Brandt, who said an NFL team in need of a kicker, such as the Chicago Bears, should give Lloyd a look.

I certainly respect Gil Brandt ... only issue I have with this converted 55 yarder that is getting all the attention is the fact she took a 7 yard run to the ball to make the kick ... that would be blocked in the NFL 100% of the time

I'd like to see what she can do with the conventional 3 step approach before anyone gets too excited

it would be a major PR coup for the NFL if she can kick FG's normally and gets an NFL shot
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Martin Gramatica : Carli Lloyd Could Make NFL Roster ... I'll Train Her!!!

https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/21/martin-g ... al-eagles/

Be afraid, NFL kickers ... Martin Gramatica says after USWNT star Carli Lloyd hit a 55-yarder at Eagles' practice Tuesday -- she can legitimately take someone's job and make a team's roster!!!

Oh, and the legendary kicker says he's willing to help her do it!!!

After Lloyd showed off her insane leg at Philly's workout this week ... we had to give Gramatica a call to get his thoughts on her giant boot -- and, no surprise, the guy was impressed.

In fact, 43-year-old Martin tells us, "If she put her mind to it and started training, I could see her going all the way."

Gramatica says he's seen Lloyd kick footballs before and was impressed with her ability back then ... but he had no idea she had a 55-yard range.

"55, that's impressive," Martin says ... "I think a lot of the NFL guys better be ready. Better watch their jobs. I know there's some openings, so be careful out there!"

as long as his training doesn't include injuring your knee with an idiot post kick celebration (see his brother Bill), this might be good for her
George Carlin
Xee
Site Admin

I have no idea if there is any specific rule regarding the gender of a player, but assuming there's not, I'm all for women being involved in the sport. That being said, she looks rail thin in the video thumbnail. I'd imagine if she had to make an open field tackle on an NFL kick returner, she would get obliterated.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I don’t care if we sign a transgender atheist from Mars. If the person can make FGs give them a contract. I’m not trying to go full meatball here. My understanding, and I could be wrong, was that she made that kick by running up to the ball further than a regular kicker and that would cause blocked FGs. If she can learn to kick FGs the regular way it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if Pace and Nagy brought her in to camp.

Heck, you know there could be an awesome sports movie at the end of this if it worked out. Count me in.
docc
Head Coach

A lot of NFL kickers are her size..and do get open field smashed..but ain't no red cards in NFL..
Hope she gets a try somewhere..
UOK
Site Admin

I think it would be badass if she made it onto the NFL. If it's the Bears, I'd love it, but if she sucks the calls to WSCR would be legendary, in all the worst ways.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

IF she can kick reliably, and be able to do whatever other kickers have had to do on their respective teams, then she should get her opportunity.
Some teams haven't made kickers and punters do everything the rest of the team has to, other teams have told kickers they are football players and have to participate in all the drills everyone else does. Any woman would have to be comfortable with that.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
tjs
Journeyman

Has she even shown any interest in being a kicker? My impression is she was just fooling around and was pretty damn good. I'm sure she could do it if she put her mind to it and tried, but doubt that she has interest
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

but could she tackle as well as seabass?
https://deadspin.com/sebastian-janikows ... 1831133482
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I think it would be a great story if she or another woman would get a try in the NFL at kicker. I'd love to have a female football player for my daughter to look up to. I always thought it would be the position one would be able to break into the league. But that tape, as Boris and others have said, really doesn't show much. She won't be able to take that much of a run to kick in a game. The tape would be alot more impressive if she had kicked it like a legit kicker would have.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Carli Lloyd says she's 'seriously considering kicking in NFL, but not until 2020 season

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 138965001/

Carli Lloyd won't be booting any footballs through the uprights this fall for an NFL team, but come this time next year, it may be a different story.

Lloyd, who threw out the first pitch Tuesday as the Philadelphia Phillies hosted the Pittsburgh Pirates, wrote in an email to Fox Sports that she is "seriously considering" a future attempt to kick in the league.

"I am having discussions with my husband and James about the reality of playing in the NFL," Lloyd told Fox Sports. "They both feel that I could do it and should consider it. So I'm seriously considering it, as it's a challenge."

Earlier this week, her trainer James Galanis revealed that Lloyd had an offer to kick in a team's final preseason game Thursday. He told ESPN on Tuesday that two teams had interest. A U.S. women's national team match against Portugal was part of the reason she couldn't take advantage of the opportunity.

For someone who places a premium on training, the chance to work at craft heading into next year is an ideal option for Lloyd.

"If she's going to do this, she'll do it -- she'll train in the offseason, she'll get herself ready so that she just doesn't do it for the sake of doing it," Galanis told ESPN. "If she's going to do it, she's going to do it so that she can be a success."

very smart move on her part ... take the time and train for the effort so she can have a chance rather than be some short term PR novelty act
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:43 pm
Carli Lloyd says she's 'seriously considering kicking in NFL, but not until 2020 season

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 138965001/

Carli Lloyd won't be booting any footballs through the uprights this fall for an NFL team, but come this time next year, it may be a different story.

Lloyd, who threw out the first pitch Tuesday as the Philadelphia Phillies hosted the Pittsburgh Pirates, wrote in an email to Fox Sports that she is "seriously considering" a future attempt to kick in the league.

"I am having discussions with my husband and James about the reality of playing in the NFL," Lloyd told Fox Sports. "They both feel that I could do it and should consider it. So I'm seriously considering it, as it's a challenge."

Earlier this week, her trainer James Galanis revealed that Lloyd had an offer to kick in a team's final preseason game Thursday. He told ESPN on Tuesday that two teams had interest. A U.S. women's national team match against Portugal was part of the reason she couldn't take advantage of the opportunity.

For someone who places a premium on training, the chance to work at craft heading into next year is an ideal option for Lloyd.

"If she's going to do this, she'll do it -- she'll train in the offseason, she'll get herself ready so that she just doesn't do it for the sake of doing it," Galanis told ESPN. "If she's going to do it, she's going to do it so that she can be a success."

very smart move on her part ... take the time and train for the effort so she can have a chance rather than be some short term PR novelty act
You're 100% right...The reality is that she might only get one chance to latch onto a team. She might hope to make a 800k to a mil per season if she makes it, but good Lord, the $$$ she'd get from endorsement deals!!!
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!