Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

title
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Injuries got the better of that team the past 2 seasons. I like Chico, good luck to him in the future.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:09 pmtitle
Done deal.

I'll take him.
UOK
Site Admin

If Nagy was in a more fire-able position, I’d be interested. I’m worried Rivera’s just a slightly better version of Jon Fox, however.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:19 pm If Nagy was in a more fire-able position, I’d be interested. I’m worried Rivera’s just a slightly better version of Jon Fox, however.
Agreed, Ron has that Fox/Fisher feel to him.

Good coordinator but IDK about head coach.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:34 pm
Okay, now that's funny.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think this was a very stupid move by the Panthers ... that team could have completely imploded when Newton went down but instead has remained competitive and capable... and that is credit to the HC for making sure the team plays as one and that one guy going down isn't going to end things

he will make someone happy as their new HC as long as they understand that with him, it is fundamentals and function first
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Panthers players feel like they lost more than a coach in Ron Rivera

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- As Carolina Panthers tight end Greg Olsen texted Ron Rivera on Tuesday night, not long after owner David Tepper fired the team’s all-time winningest coach, the three-time Pro Bowl tight end began scrolling through their text history.

He went back to Rivera's messages from 2012, when Olsen was dealing with his son T.J.’s congenital heart disease that turned his world upside down.

“Not one thing to do [with football] other than asking how my family was doing, don’t rush back, be there for Kara [Olsen's wife], be there for your kids, no rush," Olsen said on Wednesday. “I can go down the list, days and days and days of him not [asking] one thing about me as a football player, not asking me when I’d be back, just asking about me as a dad, as a person.

“That stayed true for nine years."

Sometimes when a head coach is fired before the end of a season, he’s lost the locker room or respect from his players. That’s not what happened in Carolina.

There was almost a funeral-like mourning for the loss of Rivera. Linebacker Luke Kuechly was near in tears, as he was after the final game for former owner Jerry Richardson. It wasn’t like players lost a coach. It was like they lost a family member.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:23 pm
Panthers players feel like they lost more than a coach in Ron Rivera

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- As Carolina Panthers tight end Greg Olsen texted Ron Rivera on Tuesday night, not long after owner David Tepper fired the team’s all-time winningest coach, the three-time Pro Bowl tight end began scrolling through their text history.

He went back to Rivera's messages from 2012, when Olsen was dealing with his son T.J.’s congenital heart disease that turned his world upside down.

“Not one thing to do [with football] other than asking how my family was doing, don’t rush back, be there for Kara [Olsen's wife], be there for your kids, no rush," Olsen said on Wednesday. “I can go down the list, days and days and days of him not [asking] one thing about me as a football player, not asking me when I’d be back, just asking about me as a dad, as a person.

“That stayed true for nine years."

Sometimes when a head coach is fired before the end of a season, he’s lost the locker room or respect from his players. That’s not what happened in Carolina.

There was almost a funeral-like mourning for the loss of Rivera. Linebacker Luke Kuechly was near in tears, as he was after the final game for former owner Jerry Richardson. It wasn’t like players lost a coach. It was like they lost a family member.
That’s not how you’re supposed to treat a star player.

First what happens is that you trade him for peanuts because the OC just didn’t like him.

Then what you do is spend the next 10+ years trying to find anybody that’s half as good. You then also convince an OL to drop weight so you can sign and waive him a hundred times during the regular season.

Am I right?
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Rivera was able to focus, channel and contain Cam's ego so the Panthers could win games after that defense's talent was slowly whittled away.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Richie
MVP

From everything I'm reading about how the Panthers are handling this. That team is going to be a free doormat the final month of the season for anyone who needs to step over them.

A lot of times you see a HC fired mid-season and then the team's once frustrated/unmotivated players come out fired up. This is literally the polar opposite.
Richie
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:58 pm Injuries got the better of that team the past 2 seasons. I like Chico, good luck to him in the future.
No kidding, they're a missed 27 yard field goal in New Orleans from still being alive. They also came an inch away from potentially forcing OT at Lambeau in the snow.

They hung in there this year. I thought he did fine. That offense functioned with Kyle Allen.

As mentioned, though. He does have a bit of a Fox feel to him. Sometimes with these guys who have been around decades. The game sort of passes them by.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I would love to bring him "on staff" (maybe as a consultant), in the event that someone is desperate enough for a head coach that they offer Chuck Pagano a job. If we're likely out of the playoffs Chuck would make an attractive HC option for teams like Cincy who like cheaper options that do enough to fill seats. Not saying that Chico is a slam dunk replacement, but he'd be a nice replacement DC if we're left with no one in January
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:34 pm
:rofl: