so wtf happened to Marcus Mariotta?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

when Tennessee made the deal to get Ryan Tannehill, it was basically dismissed by many as Mariota seemed firmly entrenched as the man in Tennessee

then 2019 happened ... and now that the Titans have climbed back into the hunt in the AFC, it is Tannehill who can be thanked for that (Titans are 6-1 since he became the starter)

I don't recall Mariota being injured ... he just started to be very ineffective ... and now will likely be traded in the off season as the Titans look to sign Tannehill to an extension

it is kind of interesting how he and Tannehill's histories are similar ... both first round draft picks who played themselves to the bench for the team that drafted them ... then Tannehill gets traded away to Tennessee and resurrects himself while Mariota will be traded away to somewhere for his chance at redemption
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

What I don’t like about Mariotta for us is that Mitch is playing better than he did and I wouldn’t even want Mariotta as a backup because that means Dude Bro Helfrich sticks around.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

it's weird, but he is kind of the same as he was when he came in. Never got any better or worse really.
Richie
MVP

How fantastic Tannehill looks behind that line giving him a world of time to throw just cements to me how shitty Mariota really is/was.

Didn't like him at Oregon, didn't like when Tennessee picked him and I don't like him now. He's a backup QB and I feel bad for any team who commits to him expecting something to happen.

I might not be sold on Trubisky but Mariota would be such a catastrophic mistake. Thankfully, I really doubt that it happens.

On a side-note: We all do realize that Tannehill goes back to being Tannehill the NANO-SECOND that Tennessee or somebody else gives him a multi-year deal for good money, right? lol
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I was a Mariota fan when he came out in 2015. The only QBs I've wanted more than him since 2008 (besides the Andrew Luck and Matt Ryan no-brainers) are Nick Foles in 2012 and Dak Prescott in 2016. (Of course I also liked Colt McCoy, Jake Locker, and Zac Dysert — who made me really happy for the five days he was a Bear in 2015, LOL — so what the hell do I know?)

I think injuries are a factor with Mariota, but it's clearly not all of it. Maybe it was just a bad fit with Vrabel, especially after Matt LaFleur left, I dunno.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Dude has terrible pocket awareness. It was masked in college, but never got any better in the pros.