UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

WR coach to HC?

A bit of a leap no?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I will be honest, didn't know who the hell the guy was. Never heard his name mentioned........ever, even when watching the Pats play. Interesting hire to say the least.
wab
Mod

I fancy myself as a bit of football nerd, and I've never heard of this dude in my entire life.
UOK
Site Admin

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/who- ... ead-coach/

No head coaching experience

The Giants are certainly going outside the box with Judge, simply due to the fact that he has zero head coaching experience on his résumé. That's not totally uncommon for Patriots assistants as Matt Patricia (Lions) and Brian Flores (Miami) didn't have any head coaching experience before taking their jobs in the NFL either. Unlike those two, who came up on the defensive side of the ball, Judge primarily has a special teams background.

------

Comes from the Saban-Belichick tree

While he may not have head coaching experience, Judge has quite the résumé at just 38 years old. Not only is he coming to New York after being groomed by Bill Belichick for the past eight years in New England, but Judge also spent three years with Nick Saban at Alabama as his special teams assistant. Combined: Judge was a part of five championships (three Super Bowls, two National Championships). Given his professional upbringing, don't be surprised if Judge follows a very similar coaching style to both his mentors. Judge also played under Jackie Sherrill at Mississippi State and also worked alongside Sylvester Croom at Mississippi State, too.

------

Almost left Patriots with Josh McDaniels

Judge reportedly almost left the Patriots back in 2018 to join Josh McDaniels' staff in Indianapolis. He was set to serve as his special teams coordinator, but after things fell through and McDaniels returned to New England, so did Judge. Since then, Judge has been a name that has been talked about as a potential head coach somewhere in football. Prior to talking this job with the Giants, Judge was looked at as a favorite to land with his alma mater in Mississippi State as its next head coach. This jump was clearly coming, but it is a tad surprising it's coming so soon.

------

Ran an elite special teams unit with the Patriots

One of the calling cards of the Patriots is their strong special teams unit. That was on full display under Joe Judge this season where New England ranked No. 1 in average starting field position (32.7) and No. 1 in opponent starting field position (25.1). The Patriots were able to attack the ball extremely well on punts, blocking two that were returned for touchdowns (a league high). New England also never allowed a punt to be returned for 20 or more yards this season under Judge.

Judge is also the first special teams coordinator to be hired as a head coach since John Harbaugh in 2008 with the Baltimore Ravens.

------

Added receivers coach to his resume this year

Judge has been making the climb through the coaching ranks and just started to crack through on the offensive side of the ball this season with the Patriots after being promoted to receivers coach with Chad O'Shea departing for Miami. Judge manned both the special teams and receivers in what was his final year in Foxborough and, while that's hardly the equivalent of managing an entire football operation, he did show that he can juggle multiple responsibilities.

"Joe's done a great job," Bill Belichick said last Tuesday prior to New England playoff loss to Tennessee. "He's done a great job with the kicking game, and as you said, he's expanded the role a little bit and that's kind of had a little bit of a ripple effect in the way we've organized the kicking game, but that's all worked out pretty efficiently. Joe's done a good job of organizing that, as well as taking care on some other things with the offense and particularly receivers. So, he's done a good job. He's an excellent coach."
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

And there sits Dave Toub, forgotten man.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:28 pm And there sits Dave Toub, forgotten man.
I always wanted him to get a gig. ST coaches seem to have quite a bit of success when given a chance.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:35 am
Otis Day wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:28 pm And there sits Dave Toub, forgotten man.
I always wanted him to get a gig. ST coaches seem to have quite a bit of success when given a chance.
I believe the last one who got a HC job was John Harbaugh. Of course, that's no predictor of Judge's success but some like the way ST coaches work with all aspects of the game.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

So does that just leave the Cleveland HC gig? Wonder if Josh McDaniels regrets messing the Colts about...
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:47 am So does that just leave the Cleveland HC gig? Wonder if Josh McDaniels regrets messing the Colts about...
I'm wondering how much longer Bellechick is going to coach, maybe he's tired of the whole Brady saga and ready to ride off into the sunset. Josh might be waiting for this.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:06 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:47 am So does that just leave the Cleveland HC gig? Wonder if Josh McDaniels regrets messing the Colts about...
I'm wondering how much longer Bellechick is going to coach, maybe he's tired of the whole Brady saga and ready to ride off into the sunset. Josh might be waiting for this.
He will probably keep coaching just to piss people off.