Browns to hire Stefanski, wow!

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/284 ... head-coach

Shocked by this. Not sure this franchise can get much right.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Not shocking. Stefanski was runner-up in CL last season, but ex-GM Dorsey succeeded in pushing his guy Kitchens over DePodesta's recommendation Stefanski.

DePodesta is the only remaining top advisor to the clueless Haslam family. Depodesta's background is mostly as a baseball exec, but he's been assisting the Browns for a few seasons. Jimmy Haslam makes George McCaskey look smart. Even Daniel Snyder.

That doesn't mean Stefanski won't be a good coach. Only that the process in CL is suspect. The conventional process would have been to pick a new GM that's a potentially good football evaluator and let him suggest the head coach after interviews.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

And there Eric Bieniemy sits.

None of these HC hires make any sense to me.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:18 pm Not shocking. Stefanski was runner-up in CL last season, but ex-GM Dorsey succeeded in pushing his guy Kitchens over DePodesta's recommendation Stefanski.

DePodesta is the only remaining top advisor to the clueless Haslam family. Depodesta's background is mostly as a baseball exec, but he's been assisting the Browns for a few seasons. Jimmy Haslam makes George McCaskey look smart. Even Daniel Snyder.

That doesn't mean Stefanski won't be a good coach. Only that the process in CL is suspect. The conventional process would have been to pick a new GM that's a potentially good football evaluator and let him suggest the head coach after interviews.
Supposedly Podesta and the analytics department get the game plan during the week and have to sign off on it. Crazy. I heard that CL was prepared to offer the job to Stefanski if Minnesota lost or Salah if SF lost. Heck of a way to run a railroad.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
UOK
Site Admin

I get it. If Podesta wants him and he's basically the de facto GM, that's how it's going to be.
wab
Mod

Stefanski is a quality coaching candidate. I still think I would have gone with Bieniemy, but he's less experienced than Nagy.

Teams are much less willing to wait until their preferred candidate is out of the playoffs. The NFL should really adjust those limitations.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I have nothing against Stefanski. However, how much of the Vikes success this past season was due to Gary Kubiak?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.