Trent Williams given permission to seek trade

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Per PFT:
Left tackle Trent Williams wanted a trade out of Washington in 2019, but former team president Bruce Allen opted not to go that route despite Williams not playing any games for the team.

Allen is gone, but Williams is still looking for a trade and Washington has responded differently this time around. Williams got permission from the team to seek a trading partner that would enable him to continue his career in a different uniform in 2020.

“I’m just happy this situation seems to be heading towards an end,” Williams wrote in a text to John Keim of ESPN.com.

The Browns have already been identified as a potential suitor and there will likely be others given the evergreen need for offensive line help around the league. Anyone dealing for Williams will likely be talking about his contract as well.

While Williams’ agent said the desire for a trade wasn’t “about a contract, but time for a change of scenery,” his client is entering the final year of his current deal and isn’t likely to mind discussions about a commitment beyond the 2020 campaign. Williams is set to make a non-guaranteed salary of $12.5 million under his current pact.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He'll get a lot of interest but have a high price tag in draft picks and then the salary he'll want. I think he'd be out of the Bears' pocketbook range this year.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:06 am He'll get a lot of interest but have a high price tag in draft picks and then the salary he'll want. I think he'd be out of the Bears' pocketbook range this year.
I'd guess the Dolphins make a pay for him. They have the picks and the cap space. The Chargers could use him after trading away Okung, but they aren't giving up the premium pick that would be required.

The Skins line should be interesting next season. Both guards are free agents and Williams will be somewhere else.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:46 pm
Grizzled wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:06 am He'll get a lot of interest but have a high price tag in draft picks and then the salary he'll want. I think he'd be out of the Bears' pocketbook range this year.
I'd guess the Dolphins make a pay for him. They have the picks and the cap space. The Chargers could use him after trading away Okung, but they aren't giving up the premium pick that would be required.

The Skins line should be interesting next season. Both guards are free agents and Williams will be somewhere else.
I see them re-signing Scherff. After that, well, they are the Redskins and will act accordingly.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?