Update: Matt Stafford cleared

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/295 ... id-19-list

Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford on Saturday became the eighth member of the team to be placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Stafford was put on the list after results came back from the team's third round of testing on Friday. Players are put on the list either if they've tested positive for COVID-19 or have been in close contact with someone who has the coronavirus. Players must stay on the list until they are medically cleared to return to their teams.

It's unclear how long Stafford will be out, per NFL protocol, but the team is scheduled to start strength and conditioning workouts Monday.

The Lions, when reached for comment, referred to the NFL-NFLPA policy that "clubs are not permitted to comment on a player's medical status other than referring to roster status."
wab
Mod

Man, this is going to be a shell of a season with a lot of players on the field we've never heard of.
UOK
Site Admin

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/matth ... e-covid-19

So he definitely got the virus, and with a newborn (and I think his wife is ill also) I doubt he suits up this year.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Staffords just had a baby too.

He'll probably be fine. But a number of Covid patients end up with lingering cardio vascular AND some concentration/energy issues. It is not a safe assumption that players who end up on this list will be back within a month and playing at an expected level.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

Yeah, that's why I think you'll see a lot of "replacement player" type names out there. There's going to have to be a lot of roster flexibility if there's to be a season.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Apparently Stafford had a false positive...
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

skamanfrank wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:11 am Apparently Stafford had a false positive...
Maybe.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/us/matth ... index.html

His wife is complaining about all the (legit) hassles she's endured.
Except...who's to say that the first (positive) test is the one that was wrong and the second (negative) test is correct?
They can be wrong both ways and I see no details confirming that it's one and not the other. Has he taken multiple?

This is the kind of mess you get when tests aren't totally accurate.

I'm also dubious about this being the NFL's fault, beyond the fact that they shouldn't be attempting a season - and Stafford was free to, and IMO should have, opted out.
But after the family's experience following the false positive test, Kelly Stafford says she wants the league to change -- saying it should be "absolutely positive" a player has Covid-19 before making the news public.
Being "absolutely positive" would require removing the player from the facility, quarantining them for about a week and administering multiple tests. Even with the limited media access, word of that sort of thing is still going to leak out for major players in today's world, I'd think.
And that doesn't even get into how bullshit it is that the NFL is hogging tens of thousands of tests for a frivolous, non-essential endeavor...)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yeah my understanding is he did have a false positive. That's really disappointing that the NFL would have the same kind of unreliable testing that us mere mortals do.

I like Stafford. I just don't like the Bears playing him. He was tearing it up last year before he got hurt. I'm not bullish on the Bears/Lions game here to kick off the season. It's normally a brutal place for Bears games, because they really hate the Bears. But Ford Field certainly will be different with little or no crowd. Still for some reason I feel like they'll be lucky to come out of there with a W.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!