Update: Leonard Fournette signs w/ Bucs

Non-Bears NFL news

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
dplank
MVP
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Update: Leonard Fournette signs w/ Bucs

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:09 am

Being released by the Jags, likely clears waivers according to the article I just read and the Jags would trade him for any pick as they know their getting nothing now. Dude was a beast his first year or two...don't think he fits our scheme very well though...

If I'm the Titans I'd be all over this, what a 1-2 punch they'd have with him and Henry, both thumpers
Chuck Pagano's defensive rankings in 6 years with Indy: 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20883
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:22 am

Eh, maybe? He's perpetually hurt and kind of a dick though.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 21299
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:23 am

Image

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day


Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
User avatar
BreadNCircuses
Journeyman
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:34 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:28 am

While I'd still prefer we add Spencer Ware to the committee instead, Fournette at least has the body to back up Montgomery. But 2 weeks wouldn't be enough for him to be comfortable with more than a very limited chunk of the playbook so it'd still be minor role even before the return of the Full Monty.
User avatar
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:08 am

dplank wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:09 am
Being released by the Jags, likely clears waivers according to the article I just read and the Jags would trade him for any pick as they know their getting nothing now. Dude was a beast his first year or two...don't think he fits our scheme very well though...

If I'm the Titans I'd be all over this, what a 1-2 punch they'd have with him and Henry, both thumpers

Definitely doesn't fit Nagy's offense - and I'd argue that he's never been a beast in the NFL - but I'd take a flyer on him if he comes cheap.

One big worry is that apparently Jacksonville wanted him out of the locker room and he was a pain in the ass.
*^*Team Trey Lance*^*

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Arkansasbear
Journeyman
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:41 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:45 am

The good thing he has going for him is that he has been in a camp, so I think if we signed him he would be able to start practicing with the team. So he might be able to play, at least on a limited playbook, week one. We could and would likely cut him as he doesn't fit in with what Nagy wants to do.

If we sign a guy off the street like Ware, I think they have to go into quarantine for 14 days, so they wouldn't be able to play the first game.

Sounds like he wouldn't be a good locker room fit, so I doubt it happens, but given he is the only guy I know of right now we could sign and have play week one, I guess it's possible.
User avatar
dplank
MVP
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:55 am

We just signed that Napolean Maxwell kid who was on our PS before we had to cut it to 80, so I'm guessing we're happy with what we have. I really like Pierce and Nall, and don't really value the RB position a whole lot, so I think I'm with the board consensus (so far) that it's a pass.
Chuck Pagano's defensive rankings in 6 years with Indy: 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th.
User avatar
Iguana
Rookie
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:12 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:42 am

I'd take a look....
User avatar
Moriarty
MVP
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:06 am

dplank wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:55 am
We just signed that Napolean Maxwell kid who was on our PS before we had to cut it to 80, so I'm guessing we're happy with what we have. I really like Pierce and Nall, and don't really value the RB position a whole lot, so I think I'm with the board consensus (so far) that it's a pass.
The Bears on Monday re-signed rookie running back Napoleon Maxwell and placed first-year cornerback Michael Joseph on injured reserve.

Yep. Sounds like they feel like Montgomery will be back soon.

(We'll see if they know better than they did with Burton... :o )
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 6585
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:29 am

IIRC Fournette has turned out to be a pretty decent pass catcher. And with DeFilippo and Foles on board, it would be interesting.

It isnt' necessarily true that he doesn't fit in the offense.
Run the Damn Ball
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
Assistant Coach
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 717
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:57 am

I wonder if he's having trouble passing team physicals or something. I know his foot is pretty banged up.
Image
User avatar
Yogi da Bear
Pro Bowler
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:59 am

The guy had 76 receptions for 522 yards last year, and he's a 4.51 guy. I think he could fit in our offense. The problem might be his smarts. Only an 11 on the Wonderlic. Could he pick up our offense that quickly?

I would love him if Defilippo and Foles expressed that he could contribute without disrupting the locker room. I'm okay if we don't pick him up as I figure those two would have expressed that he wasn't worth it.
User avatar
dplank
MVP
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:34 pm

Iguana wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:42 am
I'd take a look....
Damn good to see you sir
Chuck Pagano's defensive rankings in 6 years with Indy: 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th.
User avatar
Iguana
Rookie
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:12 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:36 pm

dplank wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:34 pm
Iguana wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:42 am
I'd take a look....
Damn good to see you sir
thanks DP!
User avatar
Umbali
Assistant Coach
Posts: 665
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:37 pm

I think he would be worth the look if Foles and Defillipo sign off on him but I doubt the Bears do it.
Via UOK
Ive got a lot of anger to ration out over the next 4-5 months, and I'm sure as hell not going to dump it out recklessly here in freakin' August.
User avatar
dplank
MVP
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:42 pm

Chuck Pagano's defensive rankings in 6 years with Indy: 26th, 20th, 11th, 26th, 30th, and 30th.
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5643
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:08 pm

Team chemistry could be affected. Reports I have read said he was fined multiple times for missing and/or being late to meetings. Comes across as a prima donna. Not sure Nagy wants that around. I am sure he would probably sign a 1 yr deal, be the model citizen then jet out of wherever he signs.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 21299
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:07 pm

Image

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day


Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
User avatar
Yogi da Bear
Pro Bowler
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:00 pm

Iguana wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:36 pm
dplank wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:34 pm


Damn good to see you sir
thanks DP!
IGGY! You made it over! :welcome:
BearsFanInMN
Journeyman
Location: Phoenix/Tempe
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:58 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:44 pm

Umbali wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:37 pm
I think he would be worth the look if Foles and Defillipo sign off on him but I doubt the Bears do it.
Agreed on both counts.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
User avatar
Iguana
Rookie
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:12 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:33 pm

Yogi da Bear wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:00 pm
Iguana wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:36 pm


thanks DP!
IGGY! You made it over! :welcome:

Yep. Had to hunt you down for your keepers
Arkansasbear
Journeyman
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:41 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:28 pm

Iguana wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:36 pm
dplank wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:34 pm


Damn good to see you sir
thanks DP!
We’re getting the band back together, we’re on a mission from God.”
User avatar
LT2_3
Practice Squad
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:14 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:30 pm

Iguana wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:33 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:00 pm


IGGY! You made it over! :welcome:

Yep. Had to hunt you down for your keepers
LOL
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15868
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:47 pm

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:08 am
dplank wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:09 am
Being released by the Jags, likely clears waivers according to the article I just read and the Jags would trade him for any pick as they know their getting nothing now. Dude was a beast his first year or two...don't think he fits our scheme very well though...

If I'm the Titans I'd be all over this, what a 1-2 punch they'd have with him and Henry, both thumpers

Definitely doesn't fit Nagy's offense - and I'd argue that he's never been a beast in the NFL - but I'd take a flyer on him if he comes cheap.

One big worry is that apparently Jacksonville wanted him out of the locker room and he was a pain in the ass.
Hippo! Where the hell have you been??
Image

First 42 starts:

Drew Brees: 61.4% | 8551 yards | 55 TDs | 38 INTs | 6.67 YPA | 83.0

Mitch Trubisky: 63.1% | 8796 yards | 51 TDs | 29 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 86.3
User avatar
Umbali
Assistant Coach
Posts: 665
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:39 am

The more I think about this, the more I want the Bears to grab him. Not just for the short term pickup until Monty is better, but if used properly he could really help with some of our woes in the run game.
Via UOK
Ive got a lot of anger to ration out over the next 4-5 months, and I'm sure as hell not going to dump it out recklessly here in freakin' August.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20883
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:22 am

If he is healthy and not a bad teammate, a 4 headed monster of Monty, Fournette, Cohen, and Patterson could be formidable. Throw Nall in as a h-back/Burton type and that could be fun to watch.
The Cooler King
Assistant Coach
Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:30 am

wab wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:22 am
If he is healthy and not a bad teammate, a 4 headed monster of Monty, Fournette, Cohen, and Patterson could be formidable. Throw Nall in as a h-back/Burton type and that could be fun to watch.
I think Nall loses his spot in that scenario.
Fka "BillGeorge61" @CBFans.net
User avatar
Iguana
Rookie
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:12 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:34 am

LT2_3 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:30 pm
Iguana wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:33 pm



Yep. Had to hunt you down for your keepers
LOL
Still waiting for Yogi to tell me them....
Arkansasbear
Journeyman
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:41 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:08 am

https://sportsmockery.com/2020/08/rumor ... fournette/

Well, some dude on the internet thinks we are high on him for whatever that's worth.
MoFugger
Head Coach
Posts: 2512
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 am

Re: Leonard Fournette anyone?

Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:49 am

The Bears just claimed him off waivers.

Return to “Around the NFL”