Update: 49ers keeping Garoppolo through 2021

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

I can't find the original source but this is starting to pick up some steam.

Obviously we won't know how true anything is until March hits and the new league year starts.

But a move like this seems more in line with what the Bears can do and likely would do.

Not that I am happy with it.

But at the same time I could see the Bears also drafting a quarterback if they make this move, and having a genuine quarterback competition to see who starts - Jimmy g, foles, or the rookie.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

He's not financially realistic either - unless he signs an extension & restructure, which management better not be letting Pace do.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:33 am He's not financially realistic either - unless he signs an extension & restructure, which management better not be letting Pace do.
It's possible he'd consider a restructure without an extension. He doesn't have anything in the way of guarantees left, so if he could do a signing bonus with a slightly lower base that could help, especially if he gets to help dictate his landing spot.

I'd be underwhelmed. He'd be a guy I'd be much more interested in as a cut candidate, not someone I'd actually want to trade assets for.

Ultimately some initial shoe is going to drop like Stafford or perhaps Watson. After one or both of those the market will start aligning.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Not sure why we need yet another QB thread just for this latest speculation, but I'll bite...

I have no idea why Pace and Nagy would want to trade for a QB who has played fewer than half of the 49ers games and only one season with more than 6 games during his four year stint with them.

We all had concerns about Foles being able to complete a full season. We'd be in the same boat with Garoppolo.

His passer rating is good, but his TD:INT ratio is nothing to shout about; 46:26 with the 49ers, 51:26 for his career.

In 2019, the only time Garoppolo has played a full season and the 49ers went to the Super Bowl, the team had the second highest rushing attempts in the league (behind the Ravens with all Lamar Jackson's runs) and the ninth highest ypc at 4.6. Unless Nagy fundamentally changes his ways, Garoppolo wouldn't benefit from that type of rushing output in Chicago.

In my opinion Trubisky's got a way better chance of being a superstar in San Francisco than Garoppolo has of being one in Chicago.
G08
Hall of Famer

Jameis Winston.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Supposedly, the 49ers have offered 2 #2's and 2 #3's for Stafford.
Garoppolo will probably be pretty cheap in trade value, given his injury history and bad salary situation.
He would make signing any Free agent problematic, given that 20-25mil is likely the amount we will have after cuts/trades and restructuring
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:11 pm Supposedly, the 49ers have offered 2 #2's and 2 #3's for Stafford.
Garoppolo will probably be pretty cheap in trade value, given his injury history and bad salary situation.
He would make signing any Free agent problematic, given that 20-25mil is likely the amount we will have after cuts/trades and restructuring
They can designate him a June 1st cut and only lose $1.4M in cap space.

I'm not sure his $26.4M cap number for 2021 is tradeable (unless that number goes down for some reason if he's traded).

4 seasons in San Fran as the starter, over half those games missed due to injury. Woof.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Sure why have one QB who can’t stay healthy when you can have two?
xyt in the discord chats
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:11 pm Supposedly, the 49ers have offered 2 #2's and 2 #3's for Stafford.
OMG. Stafford with Shanahan's offense, running game and a good defense? They'd be the team to beat in the NFC.

Why would the Bears be looking at such an obviously low level candidate as Garoppolo? Because they don't have resources and could get him for a cup of coffee. Of course Pace would give up a R3 pick. :?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I've seen trade scenarios with the Bears giving up a 2nd and another pick. Another scenario was trading a player such as Fuller straight up. I don't think it's worth it, Jimmy G's health has to be a concern
Last edited by Grizzled on Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
malk
Head Coach

That'd be insane! How much would he get paid this year on the open market? I'd be absolutely livid at this.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Jimmy is overrated. Well was overrated I should say not sure if he still is after his stint with the 49ers. So of course he would be the one the Bears would go after. Learned alot from that Foles trade last year Ryan?
UOK
Site Admin

Jimmy could be had for much less. I think he’d do well in Chicago for the 2-3 years he’d be here. Then again I’m a biased EIU alum.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

I don’t get this at all. Is Garappolo even better than Mitch? Last year’s numbers don’t really suggest so. Yet people are talking about giving up picks in addition to taking on his salary?

This team needs every pick it has.

You can get a Jimmy G. level QB on the open market. I’d argue we already have one on the roster in Foles. A true game changer like Watson is one thing, but come on....
wab
Mod

It’s not that I don’t like Jimmy, but didn’t the Bears already trade for an injured QB with a bad contract last year?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:57 am I don’t get this at all. Is Garappolo even better than Mitch? Last year’s numbers don’t really suggest so. Yet people are talking about giving up picks in addition to taking on his salary?

You can get a Jimmy G. level QB on the open market. I’d argue we already have one on the roster in Foles. A true game changer like Watson is one thing, but come on....
Yea there’s no need to give up picks to get him, if that’s required then pass.
UOK
Site Admin

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:57 am I don’t get this at all. Is Garappolo even better than Mitch? Last year’s numbers don’t really suggest so. Yet people are talking about giving up picks in addition to taking on his salary?

Last year's numbers?

G played on a bad ankle, while Mitch got to play against the weakest part of the schedule.
When G played a full 16 in 2019, he stomped what Mitch did against weaklings in 2020. Career avgs tell the same story.

Now I'm squeamish about giving up much for G, but that's purely because he's missed a lot of 2/ 3.5 seasons as starters - not because there's no upgrade involved.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I guess if you’re the 49ers you make that statement about keeping Garappolo in an effort to get a foolish GM to part with a draft pick to acquire him. I sure hope Pace isn’t that fool.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:34 pm I guess if you’re the 49ers you make that statement about keeping Garappolo in an effort to get a foolish GM to part with a draft pick to acquire him. I sure hope Pace isn’t that fool.
Or Stafford was really their only realistic alternative. They don't want to stomach the Watson asking price and Ryan is likely around ATL at least one more year.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:34 pm I guess if you’re the 49ers you make that statement about keeping Garappolo in an effort to get a foolish GM to part with a draft pick to acquire him. I sure hope Pace isn’t that fool.
I would imagine Pace says "Hold my beer" to that one.

This is the guy that signed Mike Glennon, drafted the one bust out of three major QBs (the other two being future HOF'ers) via trading up ONE SLOT with all 3 QBs still available, and said we need to add a QB every year and obviously hasn't done that.