Lions & Rams work Stafford/Goff megadeal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

Jack Baer
Jack Baer·Writer
Sat, January 23, 2021, 4:16 PM

DETROIT, MI - JANUARY 03: Matthew Stafford #9 of the Detroit Lions looks on in the fourth quarter during a game against the Minnesota Vikings at Ford Field on January 3, 2021 in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo by Rey Del Rio/Getty Images)
An era is reportedly ending in Detroit. (Photo by Rey Del Rio/Getty Images)

Matthew Stafford has likely played his last snap in a Detroit Lions uniform.

The longtime Lions starting quarterback has informed the team that he would like to make a fresh start, according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero. The team reportedly agreed to discuss trade options in the coming weeks.
wab
Mod

I could see him going to the Pats or Colts, maybe the Niners...
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Wait for it...trade for him....not gonna happen. Stafford and the Lions 1st round pick for Watson?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit
Head Coach

If I'm the Colts, I call offering two #1s right now. That team can win next season with a QB like Stafford under center.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:27 pm If I'm the Colts, I call offering two #1s right now. That team can win next season with a QB like Stafford under center.
Pittsburgh seems like a better fit for Stafford. Similar running game, but Pitt has better weapons that won't put the onus on the QB to carry the team.
I could see Washington being a desired spot too. The first team in that division to find any consistency is guaranteed a trip to the playoffs
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

The GM that drafted him is now in Washington...for whatever that’s worth.

He will have no shortage of suitors.
Ormazd
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:35 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:27 pm If I'm the Colts, I call offering two #1s right now. That team can win next season with a QB like Stafford under center.
Pittsburgh seems like a better fit for Stafford. Similar running game, but Pitt has better weapons that won't put the onus on the QB to carry the team.
I could see Washington being a desired spot too. The first team in that division to find any consistency is guaranteed a trip to the playoffs
Is Roethlisberger retiring? I can't see those two on the same roster.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Colts would be a perfect landing spot for Stafford
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Rapaport believes a trade will occur before the super bowl.
UOK
Site Admin

Rakshir
Pro Bowler

I can't believe the amount of picks the Lions got and Jared Goff.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Rakshir wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:13 pm I can't believe the amount of picks the Lions got and Jared Goff.
Part of that haul of picks is because of the contract that comes with Jared Goff.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Rams got bent over on that one. Christmas came early for the Lions. No disrespect to Stafford. He's obviously an HOF level QB with a solid few years left.

The two firsts from the Rams will should be very high 20s, but that's awesome trade bait when pairing with the Lions usually high first round choice to move up and draft THE GUY if one becomes available.

The Lions should be able to take a QB at 7 this year, sign a veteran, then trade Goff for more picks.

Just imagine the ask for Watson now. First rounders for half a decade or more?

I wonder how many bottles of booze Pace drank this weekend knowing the cost a good QB and realizing just how bad his fuckup was.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

It’s not great news that the worst team in NFCN just got an accelerated rebuild plan while the bears are adrift
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:37 am No disrespect to Stafford. He's obviously an HOF level QB with a solid few years left.
Obviously a HOF level QB? Really? He's thrown for a lot of yards sure, but his career passer rating is only 89.9, he's gone to one Pro Bowl, never been an All Pro and never played in a Super Bowl. He's got some work to do in LA if he's going to justify a place in the HOF. The good news for him is he's going to have a much better chance to be successful there than in Detroit.
Xee
Site Admin

crueltyabc wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:59 am It’s not great news that the worst team in NFCN just got an accelerated rebuild plan while the bears are adrift
I don't know, Detroit has always fallen ass-backwards into high picks but they've never been able to do anything with them. Who knows, maybe this is the year they finally put it all together and become a contender but given their history, I'm not losing any sleep over it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:37 am The Rams got bent over on that one. Christmas came early for the Lions. No disrespect to Stafford. He's obviously an HOF level QB with a solid few years left.

The two firsts from the Rams will should be very high 20s, but that's awesome trade bait when pairing with the Lions usually high first round choice to move up and draft THE GUY if one becomes available.

The Lions should be able to take a QB at 7 this year, sign a veteran, then trade Goff for more picks.

I wonder how many bottles of booze Pace drank this weekend knowing the cost a good QB and realizing just how bad his fuckup was.
League rule is you can only trade picks 3 years into the future. This is what good QBs cost! :deal:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:32 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:37 am The Rams got bent over on that one. Christmas came early for the Lions. No disrespect to Stafford. He's obviously an HOF level QB with a solid few years left.

League rule is you can only trade picks 3 years into the future. This is what good QBs cost! :deal:

So now you're the Lions.

Offer Goff, the #7 and both of the firsts from the Rams to the Jags for the #1? Or Goff, the #7, and a combo of the four #1 picks the Lions are expected to have over the next two years?

If you're the Jags, yeah you get Goff with that contract but you do get a young good QB with playoff experience plus this year's #7 have the Lions throw in the Rams #1 next year (call it #25) and then the Lions #1 in 2023 (mid-teens at worst).

Jags would have:

A QB of the future.
A franchise OL or WR at the 2021 #7
Nice picks to use to build around or trade up in subsequent years.

That's how you build a football team and not this "He drives a Camry" bullshit that the resident Carnie Game Attendent at Halas Hall says.

Now regarding Watson.

The Bears were never serious contenders for him anyway. (Now watch them pull off the deal). But then the ask has to be 3 first rounders and a significant player at a minimum plus probably a Day 2 pick or two.

Unreal.

That's why it's important to have good talent evaluators in the front office instead of just chumps that kiss the ass of whatever family owns the team.
docc
Head Coach

..and done..
G08
Hall of Famer

He's going to kick ass on the Rams, good for him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Ormazd
MVP

G08 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:53 pm He's going to kick ass on the Rams, good for him.
The Rams gave up a lot to get him (I would be pissed if the Bears had matched it). But, with their defense they're in a position to win now, and if they get a Super Bowl I'm sure they'll think it was worth it.
UOK
Site Admin

merging threads
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Stat of the day - in the 12 years Stafford was in Detroit, they only had 12 100 yard rushers. Pretty effin sad, avg of 1 a year. I think the running game in LA is way better than in Detroit. It is only going to help him out.