ESPN: Schonert takes shots at Jauron

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Halas85
Assistant Coach

Schonert says O 'wasn't simple enough'
ESPN.com news services

The Buffalo Bills remain a team in turmoil as former offensive coordinator Turk Schonert told a Buffalo television station Friday afternoon he was fired because the Bills' offense "wasn't simple enough" for coach Dick Jauron.

"He wants a 'Pop Warner' offense," Schonert said in a phone interview with WIVB. "He limited me in formations, and limited me in plays. He's been on my back all offseason."

Schonert said he was fired by Jauron during a Friday morning meeting. ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen reported Saturday that Bills owner Ralph Wilson Jr. had a meeting at his Detroit home with Jauron, general manager Russ Brandon, quarterback coach Alex Van Pelt and running back coach/running game coordinator Eric Studesville.

A Bills spokesperson would neither confirm nor deny a meeting occurred.

Friday afternoon in a press conference, Jauron said Schonert was fired for a "lack of productivity," though he also said the fault was not all Schonert's.

The Bills' offensive starters failed to score a touchdown in five preseason games after ranking 25th in the NFL in offense in 2008, Schonert's first as the team's play-caller.

Jauron said while the firing of Schonert was a relatively new idea to him, it wasn't one he wanted to sit on for long.

"When you make a decision you know when you should do it," Jauron said. "I wasn't thinking about firing him three days ago. I wasn't thinking about it two weeks ago. And when you start to think about it, I think you need to move on it and do something. Clearly I believe it's the right thing to do."

Schonert said the problem was the complexity of his system.

"He [Jauron] told me the offense wasn't simple enough for him," Schonert said. "We had too many formations, too many plays. I didn't simplify it to his liking."

September 6, 2009, 1:43 PM ET
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
Halas85
Assistant Coach

Does this not seal all the question marks surrounding Jauron's undying allegiance to John Shoop?
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
UOK
Site Admin

Halas85 wrote:Does this not seal all the question marks surrounding Jauron's undying allegiance to John Shoop?
Since when does a defensive head coach get to make decisions regarding offense?

And yes it does, I feel bad for bills fans.
gaba
Head Coach

I wish I hated the Bills enough to really enjoy this breakdown.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Schonert must not have had the bubble screen in the playbook.
Xee
Site Admin

Schonert should have just tried to work in a Shoop-esque play every now and then to appease Jauron. Run left, run right, pass just short of a first down, punt. Done.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I guess Schonert forgot his game plans had to be in Crayola Crayon, and no more than 6 plays

or maybe he didn't realize Ja-moron "really really likes Terrell Owens" and that every pass was supposed to go to only Owens?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin