The Secret Weapon....

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Cutler06
Player of the Month

Wow, This guy is tricky.... HAHAHA

Browns starting QB? Mangini not willing to divulge secret

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12171089

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini has decided on his starting quarterback, and he's keeping it a secret as long as he can.

Mangini declined to name his starter for Sunday's season opener against Minnesota, and before practice on Monday said he has not yet told Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson who won the job.

Mangini said he will not publicly announce his starter because as a former defensive coordinator he feels it gives his team a competitive advantage against the Vikings and future opponents.

"It's more difficult to prepare for two than it is to prepare for one," he said.

Quinn and Anderson have been competing for the starting position for months, a close competition that carried through training camp and four exhibition games.
UOK
Site Admin

smokescreen for him being unable to make a decision. He'll probably decide on Sunday. No wonder this guy got shit canned from New York.
gaba
Head Coach

Eh... doesn't sound like such a bad idea to me. He might be making excuses, but that doesn't mean it won't make the opposing defensive coach's job a little harder.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

We're talking about Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn. The same style of QB. It doesn't cause the defense to come up with 2 different game plans. I doubt Mangini has the Vikings wetting their pants.

Now if the possible starter would have been Brady Quinn or Michael Vick, Mangini might look like a smart man in doing this. But pulling this with Anderson and Quinn makes him look like an idiot.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
gaba
Head Coach

Meh... their styles might be the same but everyone's got their little habits and ticks you can read off of and everyone's got a favorite receiver or a mistake they make over and over. It might not help much, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible idea. Probably a little stupid if neither quarterback knows either though.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think he's just trying to keep the Brownstains in the news in a semi-positive way for as long as possible ... as soon as the games that count actually start, it will be the same old "my GOD this team sucks!" refrain from the past
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin