Jets provide an example of why the prevent defense doesn't

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Jets were having a pretty good game against New England ... and were pretty much in control for the most part ... seemed to have locked it away with the 7 minute long go-ahead TD drive in the 4th quarter.

And then, the "prevent defense". Which allowed New England to march on down and score the tying TD with pretty much no time on the clock.

W T F?

So ok, the Jets got the ball in OT and marched on down to kick the winning field goal. But it should not have come to that, as it should have been over in regulation.

In my opinion, that umbrella prevent, with 4 people in the endzone, should ONLY be used on the very last play of the game to defend the hail mary pass. And even then, I'd prefer a blitzer coming through clean to smash the opponent's quarterback to the ground so he doesn't have time to get the pass off.

Examples of the prevent defense preventing a win are plentiful, and I'm sure everyone here can name many examples from the teams they follow.

My challenge to you is, aside from knocking down last gasp hail mary passes (which happens many more times than they are completed), what noted examples of a SUCCESSFUL prevent defense in the last few minutes of a game can you come up with?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

It blows my mind that so many NFL geniuses who supposedly got with the percentages continue to make this idiotic mistake.