Blown call on Steelers-Chargers finish costs bettors big

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:He was just here to cause trouble. His personal vendetta didn't go anywhere so he's gone.

I thought maybe your post caused one of his 2 active braincells to short circuit since "logical thinking" has never seemed to be his forte.

What a choad.

Knows his way around gambling, so that makes him a better sports fan? Uh, no.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Halas85
Assistant Coach

For the sake of argument, I actually do see Beardude's point. When you place the bet, you're really not relying on the guy who sets the point spread, so the speak. In fact, you're actually trying to be smarter than that guy by saying, "You're wrong, here's where you're wrong, and I'll put money on it."

But on the flip side, Boris is 100 percent correct -- being a sports fan and being a fan of betting on sports are two entirely different things. When you bet on a point spread, you're relying on a manufactured system set up to make even the most boring, mundane and lopsided games interesting. If that's what gets you off, then have at it. Personally, my life is filled with enough things to keep my interests piqued; I don't need to manufacture frills to keep me on the edge of my seat.

Need evidence that real football and point spreads exist in two completely different realms? From USA TODAY: "Undefeated and No. 1-ranked Alabama has trailed in games for only 23 minutes this season, yet is a massive 9 1/2-point underdog in Saturday's SEC championship game against No. 2 Florida."
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
gaba
Head Coach

Sure, but you're still betting that he's wrong... therefore you're betting based on someone else's opinion and not the game or the players. I guess it could make Sunday more interesting. Personally, my Sundays (and Saturdays) are plenty interesting. If I'm not interested in a game, instead of putting money on it to make it more interesting, I just turn off the tv. I've watched ONE game this year that didn't involve the Bears or 'Canes. (Mizzou vs. someone... I can't even remember who. That's how interested I was.)
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!