Free Kick - old time football

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Arizona Cardinals attempted a free kick near the end of the first half against the Giants ... not a bad choice as Rackers has the leg for it ... but he choked the same as a batter or golfer does when they overswing with their bat or club, so it wasn't even close to being made.

Too bad he couldn't use a tee. He has sent kickoffs through the uprights in the past.

I just thought it was cool to see some obscure still legal thing be tried for real in a game that counts.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

The last time a free kick was converted was in 1968 by Mac Percival of the Bears. It was the game winning field goal to beat the Packers 13-10.

Oh, and that kicking camp I work at, Mac Percival is one of the instructors. It's awesome to get talk to him about what it was like to play with the likes of Butkus and Sayers. Percival is the entire reason I got involved with this camp 8 years ago as a participant when I heard a former Bears kicker would be the main instructor of the camp.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Xee
Site Admin

Well, I'm not embarrassed to admit that I had no idea what a "free kick" was when I read this. Here's a quick definition for anyone as clueless as me:

After a fair catch, an NFL team has the right to take a free kick from the line of scrimmage on the next play. If the kick goes through the uprights, the kicking team scores 3 points. Basically, the difference between a free kick and a field goal is that it has to be after a fair catch, there is no snap, the defense has to be 10 yards back of the attempt, the kicker cannot use a tee, and the team can still kick it even if time expired on the fair catch.

Also, here's the vid of Rackers attempt. Oh yeah, btw, you can now embed youtube videos in posts. Just paste the link and surround it with [youtube]....[/youtube] tags (there's a button for it too).

[youtube][/youtube]
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Rackers choked.

I know he has the leg to have made that if he can successfully put a kickoff through the uprights, which I have seen him do.

He just tried to put too much extra on it, and hit it like I hit a lot of my tee shots on the golf course.
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

Thanks Xee... for the information (I didn't know the rule either) and for the video tip. I'll try not to overuse it.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
UOK
Site Admin

That's weird...so if a team fair catches, you can still say 'screw you' and try to nail 3 points from across the field?

That's badass wackly old time football.
RumpShaker
Practice Squad

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:That's weird...so if a team fair catches, you can still say 'screw you' and try to nail 3 points from across the field?

That's badass wackly old time football.

Yea, Think that is cool as hell! I think its great that the coaching staff actually tried this, or should I say, knew about the rule and had balls to try.... Some coaches dont know every detail of the rules and/or refuse to have balls to try things like this... I wouldnt even be suprised that 80% of head coaches dont know this rule. I mean shit, McNabb didnt even know there were not ties in the NFL. Seriously, 10yrs in the NFL, MVP, Pro Bowler, made it to the SuperBowl, ect,ect, and he didnt even know that...! Unreal....
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RumpShaker wrote:I mean shit, McNabb didnt even know there were not ties in the NFL. Seriously, 10yrs in the NFL, MVP, Pro Bowler, made it to the SuperBowl, ect,ect, and he didnt even know that...! Unreal....
uh ..... there ARE ties in the NFL, but only during the regular season ... no ties in the post season ... this is what baffled McNabb ... and seems to maybe be baffling you

so dude, you changing your screen name to McNabbShaker? :-P
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:
uh ..... there ARE ties in the NFL, but only during the regular season ... no ties in the post season ... this is what baffled McNabb ... and seems to maybe be baffling you

so dude, you changing your screen name to McNabbShaker? :-P
I think he misstyped.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:I think he misstyped.

I think he McNabbed. :-P
George Carlin
swami
Journeyman

Reminds me of rugby...

Sorry, being in Ireland I've seen plenty of rugby lately.