ex-Bear Mike Richardson goes away for 13 years

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

a sad tale of a former player with a terminal case of the dumbass
Former Chicago Bears cornerback Mike 'L.A. Mike' Richardson ignored a judge's warning and now he's going away for 13 years.

By LARRY WELBORN
The Orange County Register

SANTA ANA – The judge warned him.

"If you kick sand in my face like you have done to the other judges, if you so much as blink the other way, I will violate your probation and give you every single day of that 13-year sentence."

That was the blunt, clear and specific warning that Orange County Superior Court Judge M. Marc Kelly gave eight months ago to former NFL football star Michael "L.A. Mike" Richardson when he placed him on probation rather than sending him to prison on his most recent drug conviction.

On Friday, Kelley reminded Richardson, who sat handcuffed to a chair in the courtroom, of that warning.

And then he sent Richardson to prison for the full 13 years on his 21st drug-related conviction after the former Chicago Bears star was found guilty of violating probation by associating with another convicted drug user and with failing to register as a drug offender.

In a seven-year career as an NFL cornerback for the Chicago Bears and the San Francisco 49ers, Richardson won a Super Bowl, intercepted 20 passes, recovered four fumbles and scored a touchdown.

He also performed with other Bears stars, including Walter Payton, Jim McMahon, Richard Dent, and William "The Refrigerator" Perry, dancing and rapping the "Super Bowl Shuffle," an unforgettable ditty by members of the 1985 Chicago Bears, who were coached by the legendary Mike Ditka.

Richardson, who called himself "L.A. Mike" in the song because of his Los Angeles roots, reached the pinnacle of success in pro football when those Bears won Super Bowl XX in 1986, beating the New England Patriots 46-10.

But his life after football spiraled out of control with one drug arrest after another.

Richardson was arrested on his most recent drug offense on Sept. 30, 2006, after a routine traffic stop in Garden Grove. Officers found large quantities of rock cocaine and methamphetamines when they searched his car.

It resulted in Richardson's 21st conviction on drug-related charges since his football career ended, and his fifth felony. He faced a potential 13-year prison term.

But in April, Deputy Public Defender Huy Nguyen pleaded for leniency, asking that Richardson be given one more chance, this time in a residential drug rehabilitation clinic in Orange County.

Over the objection of Deputy District Attorney Eric Scarbrough, Judge Kelly agreed

"You have too much to offer in society to let you rot away in prison," Kelly told a seemingly contrite Richardson. "I am going to take a chance on you,"

Kelley said he felt Richardson was a good-hearted person with a lot of support who was finally committed to beating his addictions.

"I hope I am right," the judge said. "Time will tell. Only time will tell."

On Friday, Kelly said he was discouraged, almost sick to his stomach, that Richardson "did not take advantage of the opportunity.

""I told you what was at stake, loud and clear," the judge told Richardson. "I stuck my neck out for you … you violated the trust I put in you."

He said that back in April Richardson got a break that most defendants only dream about when he got probation rather than prison.

Now he's going to prison for 13 years.

"This is on you, not on me," the judge said. "You pretty much sentenced yourself."

Contact the writer: lwelborn@ocregister.com, or 714 834-3784

his 21st drug conviction? 5 felonies?

how in the hell was he able to stay out of jail at all with this string of stupid?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

I was about to ask the same thing. How the hell does a judge decide to give a guy his 21st chance and actually think he's doing the right thing?
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!