Who are you rooting for?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Ormazd
MVP

I expect some obligatory "No one. I don't give a shit!" responses to this, but I love playoff football even when the Bears aren't in the mix.

Pulling for:
1. Colts (I've always liked Dungy and Manning)
2. Dolphins (amazing turnaround season, and I'd like to see Pennington rub it in the Jets' faces a little more)
3. Eagles (just because I have a lot of friends in Philly)
4. Cardinals (Kurt Warner continues his remarkable comeback story)

Pulling against:
1. Vikings (need I give a reason?)
2. Steelers (just because)

Indifferent to the rest...
UOK
Site Admin

I'm rooting for the Falcons out of the NFC and the Dolphins out of the AFC. I like upstart teams.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Atlanta and Miami ... great minds think alike hey UoK? or in our case, Bear fans share the same dementia would be more like it

12 teams in the playoffs, so here are my rankings of them, in the order in which I would be rooting for them

1. Atlanta - this is the team I want to see win it all. They are a nice example of how teams really can turn it around if they are truly interested in doing so. Look at all the Michael Vick bullshit and the losing choads of last year and compare that to how they are as the playoffs begin. This kind of effort should be rewarded.

2. Miami - for pretty much the same reasons as Atlanta. They sucked, and managed to turn things around in a year. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll get past the Ratbirds in the first round.

3. Arizona - only because the Cardinals have never been to the big dance. Reality says they won't make it past the Falcons in the first round.

4. San Diego - given the adversity and total chaos they have dealt with, and how they simply crushed the Broncos to make it into the playoffs. An 8-8 team winning it all would be cool.

5. Tennessee - they were written off by many when Vince Young was hurt and then went into Looney-Land, and instead ripped off 10 wins in a row.

6. Philadelphia - their bitch slapping of the Cowboys to gain the last NFC playoff position was simply beautiful to watch.

7. Carolina - solid team who I think learned from what the Giants did to them.

8. Pittsburgh - still no : that was NOT a TD they were awarded against the Ratbirds.

9. Indianapolis - f*ck Peyton Manning and his goddam commercials.

10. New York Giants - they don't deserve a repeat.

11. Baltimore - I could be rooting for these guys, as they have really turned things around too. But they still have idiot assed inbred limo riding murdering thug punk rat bastard Ray "Dancing Queen" Lewis as their figurehead, so they can go to hell.

12. Minnesota - the Purple Barney Boys and their 300 pound gay biker mascot in the woman's blonde wig can go straight to hell. Hope Philly beats them 56-0 in the first round.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Pulling for the Chargers

Rooting against the Vikings (sometimes it's fun to be a Bears fan in the midst of a Viking family.)
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Ormazd
MVP

I admire what the Falcons have done, but our loss to them leaves such a bad taste I can't pull for them.
UOK
Site Admin

Ormazd wrote:I admire what the Falcons have done, but our loss to them leaves such a bad taste I can't pull for them.
How? We gave that game away, end of story. We have nobody to blame but ourselves for that.
gaba
Head Coach

I can't really make myself care about any of these guys but the Dolphins (who I generally despise) and the Falcons (completely indifferent) are interesting. It'd be interesting to see them go from "can they go 0-16" to Superbowl in just a year or two. Plus... F*&K SABAN!
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Ormazd
MVP

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:
How? We gave that game away, end of story. We have nobody to blame but ourselves for that.
To me, that was the stupidest and most painful loss of the season. If the Bears won that one, they'd most likely be playing this weekend. I just can't bring myself to root for Atlanta.
gaba
Head Coach

I agree Ormazd, but it's not like Atlanta did anything wrong. They just took advantage of the Bears glaring stupidity and complete lack of effort.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:I agree Ormazd, but it's not like Atlanta did anything wrong. They just took advantage of the Bears glaring stupidity and complete lack of effort.
And the home cooking of the game clock.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm rooting for the Chargers because I'm beginning to think Philip Rivers is a badass. I like how fired up he gets for/during his games. He's got some douchebaggery to him, but I let it slide. Then I'm pulling for Miami because I like Chad Pennington and I want him to give a bigger F-U to the Jets. In the NFC I'm pulling for Carolina and the Eagles.

When these teams have to play each other, I won't really care. If push comes to shove, I'll probably cheer for Carolina because I have a hunch they're going to win it all this year.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, AZ proved alot of people wrong. I can't believe they won and shut Turner down. I thought they were in for a spanking.
Xee
Site Admin

As much as I can't stand the Chargers, if they make it to the SB we move up a draft spot. That's all I really care about.
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

In the AFC I think I will cheer for the Chargers. I will root against the Ravens.

In the NFC the Eagles just because there is a NDSU Bison (joe mays) on the team. I hope the BiQueens get skunked.
wab
Mod

I have a feeling we are gonna witness the most boring Superbowl in history...The Arizona Cardinals vs the Miami Dolphins.

Ok...I don't really think that, but I like the Chargers in the AFC and the Cards in the NFC (I have a soft spot for the Cards).
Ormazd
MVP

I wanted the Colts to win last night, but what an exciting game. As great as Sproles was, the Chargers MVP had to be the punter. It seemed like the Colts started every drive inside their own 10.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Like WAB, I have a soft spot for the Cardinals. I too am hoping for a Chargers-Cardinals Super Bowl. If the Chargers make it to the Super Bowl (they just have to make it, don't necesilary have to win it,) the Bears will pick up one spot of draft position.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

As great as Sproles was, the Chargers MVP had to be the punter.
He is a Western IL U grad. He was a beast in college. He also did the kickoff duties and kicked long field goals. Saw him hit a 53 yder with ease. He is a big dude for a punter.

Ravens go on to beat the fins. Fins just didn't have it on either side of the ball. The Ravens are steady on O. They can run the ball with the best of the them and that opens up things for Flacco. Their continues to be very good. They are aggressive as hell. I like to watch their D, as well as the Eagle D.
In the NFC the Eagles just because there is a NDSU Bison (joe mays)
I root for the Chargers due to Scifres and the Giants have a WIU player as well, Suebert, starting LG.
UOK
Site Admin

Ravens looked good. Flacco looks mature beyond his years, just like Matt Ryan. Pretty sturdy rookie QB class.

*cough* Caleb Hanie *cough*
Ormazd
MVP

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote: *cough* Caleb Hanie *cough*
:shock:
UOK
Site Admin

Ormazd wrote:
:shock:
My point was that it was a shame we couldn't find out how good he was this season. Hopefully we'll find out this next preseason.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

I've never seen so much love for an undrafted free agent rookie.

Hey, let's bring back Chris Leak and see what he can do in the regular season!
UOK
Site Admin

imprint3454 wrote:I've never seen so much love for an undrafted free agent rookie.

Hey, let's bring back Chris Leak and see what he can do in the regular season!
Lets call the cowboys and see how Romo's been doing.
Or call the Panthers and ask about Jake Delhomme.
Call up San Diego and ask about Antonio Gates.
Or over to Pittsburgh and ask them how big getting Willie Parker was.
The Vikings may have enjoyed their time with John Randle.
Priest Holmes worked out ok with Kansas City.
The Giants are getting some good stuff from Antonio Peirce.
Kurt Warner won a title, and is doing ok w/ AZ.
Wes Welker was a huge pickup for the Patriots.
And the Vikings really missed Pat Williams today.

Undrafted free agents aren't worth a damn, I guess.
G08
Hall of Famer

Couldn't hurt UOK, but there's no reason Hanie should have seen the field this season. An undrafted-FA rookie getting time when we were in the hunt for the playoffs? Nah... let's give him some time against the #1's in the pre-season though. We already know Orton will be handed the job.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:Couldn't hurt UOK, but there's no reason Hanie should have seen the field this season. An undrafted-FA rookie getting time when we were in the hunt for the playoffs? Nah... let's give him some time against the #1's in the pre-season though. We already know Orton will be handed the job.
I know what you're saying, but I just hate this veteran-love some coaches have. Couple that with the fact I am not a fan of Orton and my enjoyment of seeing Hanie's play in preseason, I felt like he could've run the first team pretty well if given a shot. But I just hope he gets a shot next season to play with the big boys at least to see what the Bears have in him.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:
Lets call the cowboys and see how Romo's been doing.
Or call the Panthers and ask about Jake Delhomme.
Call up San Diego and ask about Antonio Gates.
Or over to Pittsburgh and ask them how big getting Willie Parker was.
The Vikings may have enjoyed their time with John Randle.
Priest Holmes worked out ok with Kansas City.
The Giants are getting some good stuff from Antonio Peirce.
Kurt Warner won a title, and is doing ok w/ AZ.
Wes Welker was a huge pickup for the Patriots.
And the Vikings really missed Pat Williams today.

Undrafted free agents aren't worth a damn, I guess.
Okay, but tell me how each and every one of those guys did in their first year of the NFL. Little Romeo didn't even see an NFL regular season field until year 4.

I'm not saying Hanie will never amount to anything. He just very likely would have amounted to nothing in year 1.
UOK
Site Admin

imprint3454 wrote:
Okay, but tell me how each and every one of those guys did in their first year of the NFL. Little Romeo didn't even see an NFL regular season field until year 4.

I'm not saying Hanie will never amount to anything. He just very likely would have amounted to nothing in year 1.
Ah, that makes far more sense, and I'm just spouting my meatball Chicago QB logic: the backup is always better, yata yata. Ignore my bleating, I just believe in the kid based on his reps w/ the scrubs this last preseason.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

If Orton truly shows in 2009 that he isn't the Bears QB, I'm all for giving Hanie a shot in 2010.
Ormazd
MVP

imprint3454 wrote:If Orton truly shows in 2009 that he isn't the Bears QB, I'm all for giving Hanie a shot in 2010.
Or if, as I fear, they're out of the playoff hunt after week 12 next season.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Ormazd wrote:
Or if, as I fear, they're out of the playoff hunt after week 12 next season.
If the Bears are out of it by week 12, Orton will at least be part of the problem.