Who are you rooting for?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

I'm rooting for:

NFC: First the Cards (I've always liked Kurt Warner, and Boldin is my favorite player in the entire NFL). Then the Eagles (I've always liked the Eagles, except for the guy Douglas that hurt Jim Miller... but that was a long time ago). My buddy next door is from Philly & we go to Bears/Eagles games in both cities. I like McNabb and Westbrook, and Brian Dawkins.

AFC: Steelers, because they've always been one of my favorite AFC teams. Top D, strong running game & vertical passing game. I like the way they play - like Big Ben and Hines Ward. I've always hated the Dolphins, and could never root for them regardless.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Ormazd
MVP

I feel just a little twinge of guilt that I don't pull for the Steelers, because Mike Tomlin played at William and Mary while I was going to grad school. I've hated Pittsburgh since Steel Curtain days, though, and just can't bring myself to do it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

well, since the original 2 I was rooting for both got smoked in the first round, I'm rooting for a Chargers/Eagles Super Bowl now ... just because ... 8-8 vs 9-6-1 ... the "Average Bowl" ... that would allow Springsteen to feature "Glory Days" as his main half time song

Glory days,
they'll pass you by
Glory days,
in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days ... glory .... days
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

I've always kind of considered the Steelers to be to the AFC, what the Bears are to the NFC. They've got the history and tradition. They've got a history of success and innovation. They've got the blue-collar reputation. They're kind of the store-brand Bears for the small market. Plus, I've just never found any reason to hate them. If I've got a favorite in this year's playoffs, it'd probably be them.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
FranktheTank
Player of the Month

Out of the remaining teams, I am hoping for Chargers vs Cardinals

Chargers are the only California team I like and the Cardinals are the only team I don't mind from the NFC.
UOK
Site Admin

I'm rooting for the Ravens, I like the way they play defense, they play d like the bears wish they could. Ray Lewis is a DB, but they've got some guys that will knock the piss out of you, plus I like their kid Flacco, he's been a stud.
Ormazd
MVP

gaba wrote:I've always kind of considered the Steelers to be to the AFC, what the Bears are to the NFC. They've got the history and tradition. They've got a history of success and innovation. They've got the blue-collar reputation. They're kind of the store-brand Bears for the small market. Plus, I've just never found any reason to hate them. If I've got a favorite in this year's playoffs, it'd probably be them.
Their "history and tradition" can't touch the Bears'. The Steelers were the sad sacks of the NFL for 50+ years until they won their first championship in SB IX. Art Rooney was considered a lovable loser, and it was a great human interest story when they finally started winning.
gaba
Head Coach

But compared to the rest of the AFC...

"History" in the AFC generally starts in the '60s. Yeah, the Steelers kind of cheated, because they had a couple decades head-start on the rest of the AFC... still, COMPARED TO THE REST OF THE AFC... they've got a pretty impressive history.

That's why I said...
gaba wrote:They're kind of the store-brand Bears for the small market.
Store-brand = generic and lame. It was kind of a back-handed compliment.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
UOK
Site Admin

Flacco becomes the first QB in NFL history to win 2 playoff games in his rookie season as a starter, Ravens come out and take advantage of sloppy Titans play and win 13-10.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Titans lost this game, two redzone fumbles, too many stupid penalties (unlike a fisher coached team). It killed TN when Johnson went down with the injury. LenDAle White had no burst and could not do squat.

Gage was impressive, 10-135. Showed some hands and a willingness to go over the middle.

As for Flacco, nothing special. completed 50% of his passes. The Titan DBs blew it big time on Clayton's catch in the 4th, both falling down. Nice the Titan D held Balt to a FG at taht point.

The Raven D won this game.
Ormazd
MVP

Arizona -- wow! I sure didn't see that one coming. 6 turnovers help, but they beat the Panthers down in every way possible.

Now, let's see San Diego and Philly win today and just blow this whole thing up.
UOK
Site Admin

The Eagles do the deed and dump the Giants on the road. We're getting a new champ this season, another non-#1 seed title holder.
IE
Hall of Famer

IE wrote:I'm rooting for:

NFC: First the Cards (I've always liked Kurt Warner, and Boldin is my favorite player in the entire NFL). Then the Eagles (I've always liked the Eagles, except for the guy Douglas that hurt Jim Miller... but that was a long time ago). My buddy next door is from Philly & we go to Bears/Eagles games in both cities. I like McNabb and Westbrook, and Brian Dawkins.

AFC: Steelers, because they've always been one of my favorite AFC teams. Top D, strong running game & vertical passing game. I like the way they play - I like Big Ben and Hines Ward.
Damn, I'm good. :banana:
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
MamaBear
Player of the Month

I've been cheering for the Eagles and anybody playing the Steelers. I fucking HATE that team! I've always kinda liked the Eagles, because Buddy Ryan went there and Jim McMahon.
gaba
Head Coach

I know it's just one guy, but I'm still holding that Hugh Douglas grudge. That and I've kind of hated Philly since they threw batteries at JD Drew... yeah, he kind of deserved their hate, but batteries? The fact that they have a judge and a jail IN THE STADIUM pretty much says it all. They're a city full of low-lifes and scum-bags.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
wab
Mod

I like McNabb, Dawkins, and Andy Reid...but without those guys I really have little use for the Eagles.
gaba
Head Coach

I liked a couple players (Zordich was fun to watch) but I still hate the team (and city). I think I always have, I just didn't have a concrete reason until Hugh Douglas gave the city an opportunity to show their true colors.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
MamaBear
Player of the Month

What's the Hugh Douglas grudge?
UOK
Site Admin

MamaBear wrote:What's the Hugh Douglas grudge?
In the magical 2001 season vs the eagles in the playoffs, Hugh Douglas put in a cheap shot against Jim Miller that knocked him out of the game and basically ruined our chances of winning the game.
gaba
Head Coach

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:
In the magical 2001 season vs the eagles in the playoffs, Hugh Douglas put in a cheap shot against Jim Miller that knocked him out of the game and basically ruined our chances of winning the game.
... and that the Philly-fans CHEERED him for his actions.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Ormazd
MVP

gaba wrote:
... and that the Philly-fans CHEERED him for his actions.
Wasn't that game in Chicago?
UOK
Site Admin

Ormazd wrote:
Wasn't that game in Chicago?
It was the last game played in the original Soldier Field. The next season they began remodeling of the field and we played an abysmal year at U of I's memorial stadium.
gaba
Head Coach

You're right... what the f*&k am I thinking about? I know it happened, I must just have the wrong game. Ah hell... screw it. I still stand by my hatred. Douglas has defended the clearly dirty hit to this day and Philly fans applauded him for it. The guy's a f*&king hero in that town.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!