Vikings/Eagles game may be blacked out

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) — Plenty of good seats are still available for Minnesota's playoff game against Philadelphia.

The Vikings reported 8,000 tickets remaining at noon New Year's Day for Sunday's game against the Eagles. The NFL has granted an extension until 3:30 p.m. local time Friday to reach a virtual sellout, but the possibility of a local TV blackout looms.

The blackout would not only encompass the Twin Cities, but secondary markets in the region as well. It includes satellite, cable and over-the-air systems, so nobody in the area could watch the game unless they're in attendance at the Metrodome.

Vice president of sales and marketing Steve LaCroix said the team has hired extra holiday help to solicit potential buyers. The Vikings haven't had a game blacked out since 1997.
Xee
Site Admin

That sucks. I want the whole nation to see the Queens get humiliated.
UOK
Site Admin

Xee wrote:That sucks. I want the whole nation to see the Queens get humiliated.
The blackout only applies to local residents. I think if you live a good ways from Minny or have NFL Total Package I think you're good.
Ormazd
MVP

If you mean Sunday Ticket, they follow the local blackout rules. They don't broadcast any playoff games, though, so that's a moot point.

Vikes fans should be embarrassed.
Xee
Site Admin

NFL gives Vikings final extension for tickets

6 hours ago

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) — The NFL has given the Minnesota Vikings one last chance to sell out the Metrodome for Sunday's playoff game against Philadelphia.

The Vikings have until 4:30 p.m. EST on Saturday to sell the remaining 3,100 tickets to avoid a television blackout in local markets.

The task isn't as daunting as it appeared earlier in the week. The Vikings were granted their first extension on Thursday and still had a whopping 8,000 tickets to unload to avoid the first blackout since 1997.

But the team made big strides, selling nearly 5,000 tickets as of Friday afternoon. The remaining tickets are priced $80, $120 and $160 a piece. It's the first time the Vikings have been in the playoffs since the 2004 season.

Meanwhile, the Arizona Cardinals have sold enough tickets to Saturday's game against the Atlanta Falcons for it to be televised in the Phoenix area.

The NFL gave the team two 24-hour extensions, the last expiring Friday afternoon. About 2,400 tickets remained Friday morning.

Tickets returned from the visiting team allotment and club seats remain available for purchase. Neither counts against the blackout rules.
Xee
Site Admin

Man, I'd give my left nut to go to a Bears playoff game for 80 bucks a pop. These Queens fans are just pathetic.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

$80 for a seat in the Metrodome? Not bad. The first ever NFL I went to was back in 2001, Chicago @ Minnesota. I sat in the corner of the endzone, upperdeck, 3rd row from the top. Those were bad seats. Now, if it was straight on, middle of the endzone seats for $80 wouldn't be bad. It wouldn't be good, but it wouldn't be bad for it being a playoff game.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Fans purchased more than 20,000 tickets to Minnesota's playoff game over six days, assuring there will be no local TV blackout when the Vikings host Philadelphia at the Metrodome on Sunday.

The Vikings announced the sales results Saturday afternoon for their wild-card playoff game with the Eagles after moving the remaining 3,100 seats that were still unsold the day before. There were a limited number of tickets remaining for the game, including some returned by the Eagles.

The NFL gave the Vikings two extensions, the second until Saturday -- 24 hours before kickoff -- after they sold about 5,000 seats from Thursday to Friday.

Only about 55 percent of the 55,000 season-ticket holders chose to buy playoff tickets, leaving the large supply. This extended the team's sellout streak to a rather tenuous 115 games. The last blackout was for the Vikings' last game of the 1997 regular season.

Vikings vice president for sales and marketing Steve LaCroix said there was no help from corporate sponsors or the local Fox affiliate, as there has been in the past for regular-season games with a few hundred tickets left to sell.

"It was all the fans. The fans get all the credit," LaCroix said. "We needed that extra time, and the league was very accommodating."

The Eagles ran an ad on their Web site this week, encouraging fans to travel to Minnesota and "paint the Metrodome green."

LaCroix declined to offer an estimate of how many Eagles fans ultimately bought tickets, but said there weren't any "bulk purchases" by businesses in the Philadelphia area. Eagles fans traditionally travel well, so there's sure to be some vocal support for the visiting team on Sunday afternoon.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
Ormazd
MVP

Pathetic Viking fan performance. I hope they get smoked today.
UOK
Site Admin

Speaking of pathetic Vikings....Eagles came in and did the job. I'm glad the Vikings are out of it, fuck 'em.
Ormazd
MVP

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:Speaking of pathetic Vikings....Eagles came in and did the job. I'm glad the Vikings are out of it, f**k 'em.
Hell, yeah!
:toast:
Xee
Site Admin

One and done, baby. I hope Jared Allen does his rodeo move all the way home.