Browns to start Quinn vs. Broncos on Thursday

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Browns to start Quinn vs. Broncos on Thursday

BEREA, Ohio(AP) - Quarterback Derek Anderson has been benched by the Cleveland Browns, who will start popular backup Brady Quinn on Thursday night against the Denver Broncos.

The switch was announced Monday by the team, just hours after coach Romeo Crennel said he had no plans to make a change.

Anderson, who has been inconsistent this season, threw a costly interception that was returned for a touchdown in the final minutes of Sunday's 37-27 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. The pick prompted Browns fans to begin chants of "Brady! Brady!" for Quinn, the former Notre Dame star who has thrown just eight passes in two seasons.

A team spokesman said Crennel and Quinn would not be available for comment until Tuesday.

Earlier, Quinn was asked for his reaction to hearing fans call his name.

"We lost the game, really that's all that matters," he said. "That's something in the NFL, everyone always loves the backup. That's just how it is. It's not any difference any place else."

Anderson had gone 132 pass attempts without an interception before he was picked off by Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs, who ran it back 42 yards for a TD. Anderson finished 17-of-33 for 219 yards and two TDs, but the 25-year-old's stats would have been even better if wide receiver Braylon Edwards hadn't dropped a certain TD pass in the fourth quarter with the game tied.

Crennel had hinted about a change at quarterback following a Sept. 21 loss at Baltimore. But he stuck with the strong-armed Anderson, a former backup who threw 29 TD passes last season and made the Pro Bowl.

During his news conference Monday, Crennel was asked if he was considering a change at quarterback.

"No, I haven't really," he said. "I haven't had a chance to talk to the coaches or anything. With a short week, I told them to go ahead and get started on Denver. They haven't even looked at this game yet."

Crennel was then asked if Anderson was still his starter.

"Yes," he said, "as of right now."

With their playoff hopes in serious jeopardy, the Browns must feel it's time to see what they have in Quinn, who didn't play as a rookie until the final game of 2007, when he came in for one series and led the Browns to a field goal. Quinn was 3-of-8 for 45 yards and had a TD pass dropped by tight end Kellen Winslow.

On the first day of the 2007 draft, the Browns traded a first-round pick in 2008 to Dallas and selected Quinn with the No. 22 overall selection. Quinn had been expected to go much higher, but the four-year starter for the Fighting Irish sat in the wings at Radio City Music Hall in New York waiting for his name to be called.

In two starts during the exhibition season, Quinn completed 21 of 33 passes for 171 yards.

Fraley is confident Quinn will be ready to step into the spotlight.

"He's young, so you don't know what to expect but he has worked hard and he'll be ready," Fraley said. "Derek and the other quarterbacks are always together, 24-7. Brady is always prepared because as a backup you are always one play away. He's been doing it the whole season.

"I know Brady has been waiting for his turn and I'm not sure this is the way he envisioned getting it. We're going to play hard for whoever is back there, and now it's Brady."