WATCH OUT!! The end of the world is coming!!!

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Ormazd
MVP

IE,
I think Warner is HOF worthy, but I wonder who on that list you think he's better than.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:That's my point. Those guys are clearly not Hall of Fame material, but if you look at the stats, their names appear among some of the greatest of all time. They've got more passing yards than Steve Young, Y.A. Tittle or Troy Aikman. Drew Bledsoe's got more yards than Joe Montana.
That's why I brought up the whole Super Bowl appearances/league MVPs numbers. Why are guys like Troy Aikman and Terry Bradshaw in the Hall of Fame, and guys like DeBerg not? Aikman and Bradshaw don't have stats that make your eyes pop out. The answer is simply because they won in the month of January. If Kurt Warner wins the Super Bowl, he'll be the first quarterback in NFL history to start and win the Super Bowl with 2 different teams. When it comes to voting for the Hall of Fame, I really don't think the voters look at the stats unless the stats really stick out (Dan Marino comes to mind.)
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Ormazd
MVP

I view it as somewhat of a sliding scale.

There is a group of QBs with career stats that are deserving even without championships (Marino, Tarkenton, Fouts, Moon).
Guys with a ring or two don't need quite as large a body of work to qualify.
gaba
Head Coach

I think Warner's comparable to Warren Moon and (speaking of talent only) maybe better than Troy Aikman. I like Aikman, but I don't think he'd be a HOFer on a lesser team. The difference though, is that both had long careers with one team (Moon did move around in the later years of his career but spent 9 or 10 years in Houston). Warner was very good for THREE YEARS... before he was benched and then pushed out. I just don't think he's been consistently good for a long enough time to get him into the Hall of Fame. There's plenty of arguments for his induction, but there's plenty of arguments against him too.

But just for the record... even if I didn't to start with, I agree with you. I think he's deserving, I just don't know if he'll make it.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!