Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Ex-Bear Bryan Robinson brings veteran's savvy to Cardinals

Robinson plays elder statesman for Cardinals

David Haugh
On the Bears

8:41 PM CST, January 28, 2009

TAMPA

A text message from Brian Urlacher reminded Bryan Robinson of the most important part of his personal game plan this week.

It said simply, "Enjoy the moment." Robinson said he plans to thank his former teammate for the good wishes at Urlacher's upcoming wedding.

In six memorable seasons with the Bears, Robinson formed several relationships that remain strong. Now the Arizona Cardinals' starting nose tackle, Robinson still owns a home in Chicago and spends enough time in the area to anticipate the question many Bears fans might ask Sunday night while watching Super Bowl XLIII.

"I know people may be like, 'How is Bryan Robinson still in the league?' " Robinson said with a laugh.

It would be an understandable reaction. Robinson was arrested twice for DUI during his Bears tenure and went through alcohol rehabilitation. By the time he was released in 2004, the Bears had cut his salary twice and concluded the five-year, $20 million contract extension they had given him in 2001 was a miscalculation.

"I had a couple of mishaps in the past but that's what it is—the past," Robinson said. "I have grown from that and just tried to move on. The reason I've been around for so long is I learned from those mistakes."

How ironic that the reputation people once figured would limit Robinson's career actually extended it.

When Robinson hit the open market last spring, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt remembered how hard he had been to block when he played for the Bengals during Whisenhunt's two-year stint as Steelers' offensive coordinator.

"So 'Whiz' said, 'Let's bring the old guy over here and see what he can do,' " Robinson said.

Robinson, 34, signed a two-year contract and started 15 games at nose tackle for Arizona's underrated defense. He made 20 tackles with a sack but has made perhaps his biggest impact in the locker room.

When the Cardinals' defense was getting gouged by the run during a bad December stretch, Robinson suggested to the coaching staff that they adjust the 3-4 scheme on running downs to a four-man front, even if it meant moving the versatile Robinson outside to defensive end so 334-pound nose tackle Gabe Watson could provide more heft in the middle.

"He has been a great leader for our defense by providing a veteran's presence for our young guys," defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast said. "From the very first mini-camp, he has been grooming younger players, not only about how to handle your business on the field but off the field."

Helping young players has been Robinson's priority since he was an undrafted rookie free agent whose high motor in training camp with the Rams wasn't always appreciated.

There was an incident with former Rams and Bears tackle Fred Miller that left an impression. Other dust-ups with fellow defensive tackles fighting for playing time made Robinson vow never to act that way with teammates if he were lucky enough to last in the NFL.

"Older guys didn't want to help me out and they feared for their jobs," Robinson said. "I never had that fear. When the Bears drafted Tommie [Harris] and Tank [Johnson in 2004], I knew eventually that was going to push me out, but it was my duty to help them."

Robinson took the role of mentor so seriously that his departure prompted Harris to criticize Bears management even before his first NFL game.

"They preach family, they preach all this other stuff, and then boom, [Robinson] is out of here," Harris said the day Robinson was cut.

The move saved $1.4 million under the salary cap. It stung teammates because Robinson was the longest-tenured Bears player at the time and had just completed a strong training camp.

He left town without malice and with fond memories, none better than the block of a 28-yard field goal against Green Bay in 1999 that preserved a victory in the first game after Walter Payton's death.

More than his knack for big plays, Robinson's savvy and ability to play every spot on the defensive line secured him jobs in Miami for one season and Cincinnati for three before he landed in Arizona.

"It's kind of weird that I've been around as long as I have," Robinson said. "I just try to do what I can to help, and guys respect that. I'm not the fastest guy, I'm not the strongest guy, I'm not even the smartest guy, but I know how to play the game."

His experience on the field coincided with an inevitable maturing process off it. Since he turned 30, Robinson has made a bigger commitment to taking care of his body and benefits from his wife being a vegan who keeps him on an organic food diet.

When the Bears played in the Super Bowl two years ago, Robinson was happy for his ex-teammates but also a little envious. He will take the field against the Steelers without a single regret, the happiest man in red.

"The way I'm going to play … well, I don't have any hair, but if I had hair it would be on fire," Robinson said. "This is 12 years in the making, only one opportunity I've had. I'm going to make the most out of it."

dhaugh@tribune.com

so, B-Drunk has cleaned up his act? that's cool ... I remember watching one of the Cardinals games, and wondering if it was the same Bryan Robinson ... now I know

always nice to see someone turn themselves around
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

This article is a nice read, but it sours me a little bit towards Tommie Harris and B-Rob being cut. I remember the mixed feelings at the time, I kind of wish Harris handled it a little bit better, but then again I can see why he felt pissed off and had to speak out. Oh well.